‘California Son’ is Morrissey’s best album since ‘You Are the Quarry’

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I would like to know how the same man produced “Suffer The Little Children” and “All The Young People Must Fall In Love”, yet made the latter sound as lively as retirement home ballroom dancing?
There's only so much you can do for a song as boring and generic as "All The Young People..."

I would like to know how the same man produced “Suffer The Little Children” and “All The Young People Must Fall In Love”, yet made the latter sound as lively as retirement home ballroom dancing?

Not everyone can hit a home run every game. Ya’ hit, you miss. Thankfully they hit the meat of the bat this time. Beautiful song!

This album is f***ing great. I’m so happy to see how incredible Morrissey can still be when he isn’t writing his own lyrics and his band isn’t writing shitty backing music. He sounds alive again. He should just do covers from now on like Tom Jones. :tongueout:

I don't know man. I can't get into it. It sounds like a really really good singer doing karaoke to elevator music.

I think my favorite track is the Phil Ochs song. Pretty hard to ruin Phil Ochs. 2nd is the Dylan song and I'm not even a Dylan fan but, again, I think it's hard to ruin something that in essence is very bare bones to begin with and I think it's the super-crisp production and the "don't f*** up one note or you're out of the band" gun-to-the-head-of-the-musicians feel of the backing tracks that turns me off the most.

I like Morning Starship but just because it's such a weird f***ing song anyway. I love his singing on it but goddamn if it has even a trace of the magic of the original.

I hate Joni Mitchell. I always found her overbearingly poetic and pretentious. My dad had all her records and he would just get stoned as f*** to them. He was obsessed with her. I never liked her.

I like Lady Willpower but it's kind of corny and overblown. The other singles don't do anything for me. I think I'd like It's Over more if that 9th rate KY wasn't singing on it.

The other songs are whatever. Still listening a few more times. Honestly it just bores the piss out of me. It's lifeless.

This album is f***ing great. I’m so happy to see how incredible Morrissey can still be when he isn’t writing his own lyrics and his band isn’t writing shitty backing music. He sounds alive again. He should just do covers from now on like Tom Jones. :tongueout:

O.k. Cali-Son is good..but come on, "Ringleader of the Tormentors", with L.I.A.P. makes it a star & it is totally Morrissey. ....L.W.P. & B.O.T.C.G. are great covers though.

Morrissey's best album since Viva Hate.

I don't know man. I can't get into it. It sounds like a really really good singer doing karaoke to elevator music.

I think my favorite track is the Phil Ochs song. Pretty hard to ruin Phil Ochs. 2nd is the Dylan song and I'm not even a Dylan fan but, again, I think it's hard to ruin something that in essence is very bare bones to begin with and I think it's the super-crisp production and the "don't f*** up one note or you're out of the band" gun-to-the-head-of-the-musicians feel of the backing tracks that turns me off the most.

I like Morning Starship but just because it's such a weird f***ing song anyway. I love his singing on it but goddamn if it has even a trace of the magic of the original.

I hate Joni Mitchell. I always found her overbearingly poetic and pretentious. My dad had all her records and he would just get stoned as f*** to them. He was obsessed with her. I never liked her.

I like Lady Willpower but it's kind of corny and overblown. The other singles don't do anything for me. I think I'd like It's Over more if that 9th rate KY wasn't singing on it.

The other songs are whatever. Still listening a few more times. Honestly it just bores the piss out of me. It's lifeless.

But...this means you don’t like Lenny’s Tune, Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets, and Suffer The Little Children...which I think are the three best songs on there! :cry:

I definitely think he sounds like the old Morrissey on the former two tracks...LRWHF reminds me of Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness and Lenny’s Tune reminds me of something from Kill Uncle.

Alternative titles never used:

"You are a fairy"

"I missed the ferry"

"I live in Bury"

But...this means you don’t like Lenny’s Tune, Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets, and Suffer The Little Children...which I think are the three best songs on there! :cry:

I definitely think he sounds like the old Morrissey on the former two tracks...LRWHF reminds me of Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness and Lenny’s Tune reminds me of something from Kill Uncle.

I do like Lenny's Tune. It's just really f***ing depressing and heavy handed. Plus I have a lot of mixed feelings about Lenny Bruce. And most of the feelings are not that mixed, tbh...I mean he was basically just an unfunny junkie who had a little more in the balls department than was acceptable at the time.

Yes, Loneliness Remembers... is good. All the songs are good. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that even though the songs are good and the singing is good and the playing is good, I just don't like it. I don't even know why I don't like it. I just don't like it.

I do like Lenny's Tune. It's just really f***ing depressing and heavy handed. Plus I have a lot of mixed feelings about Lenny Bruce. And most of the feelings are not that mixed, tbh...

Yes, Loneliness Remembers... is good. All the songs are good. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that even though the songs are good and the singing is good and the playing is good, I just don't like it. I don't even know why I don't like it. I just don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom