‘Paris’ first single from New Album?

I was Ok with YATQ when he showed us like 3 songs...in fairness he had been hibernating for 7 years. However, he did not give too much away and we were still eargerly awaiting the new Morrissey album. However, I feel he has gone a little over-board by releasing 6 tracks already, that is liek half the album! I do pray that he keeps quiet until September now. Also, the b-sides better be good such as CIP and MDL. I want something like Quarry, a decent album but then a good set of b-sides aswell.

Love PTxx.

AMEN!! Thats just what I was thinking, man I'm all bummed out now.

Keep hope alive, friend :)

I'm trying...but seriously we have heard over half of the NEW album, kinda takes the excitment right out of it eh?

I'm trying...but seriously we have heard over half of the NEW album, kinda takes the excitment right out of it eh?

I never really thought about it that way until I read this thread and PT/your exchange... so...yes, the tracks leaking out is a bit anti-climatic. I'm being cautiously optimistic tho... I said to you what I was telling myself. :)

I know how much we're going to cling to the gems we haven't heard yet.

But 'Playing Easy To Get' was NEVER played live (to my knowledge) and certainly not in 2002......

Jukebox Jury

Sorry to be on seemingly contradictory form, Phill, but 'Playing Easy To Get' was performed once in late 2004. I know this because I have the recording :) BUT you're right that it definitely was not performed prior to Quarry's release....

I had high hopes for this album until I just now learned that 'That's How People Grow Up' will be on it.

That has to be one of the most asinine half arsed efforts of his solo career.

What's also worrying is that he considers that track 'album worthy' while we have all heard some really fantastic b-sides that would make much better album tracks.

In the past we've lamented b-sides that should've been on albums, 'Lost' 'Nobody Loves Us' etc but I think the point has been fairly made that these tracks could well have emanated from sessions AFTER the album was in the can.

This time around we know he's written some quality toons possibly before the bulk of the current album was written and slapped them on b-sides and vinyl all the while thinking 'That's How People Grow Up' will go great on the album.

Holy moly and smother me mother.

Still Moz is always cpable of surprise and I hope this is no exception because 'Paris' as the albums opening single aint going to grow his fan base.

Lastly I'm not that disappointed with already having heard half the album. I think Morrissey probably has the opinion that he might as well play them live because they'll end up on the internet anyway.

I remember him doing a show on British TV promoting Ringleaders before it was out. He was singing 'Far Off Places' and half the audience were singing along and afterwards he had this ironic look on his face as if to say 'how the f@$k do you know the lyrics to this?'

I think I'd heard at least half of Ringleaders before I bought it and I'm not even well 'connected.'

All I hope is that what we haven't heard is very good.

Even though Boz has said it, I just can't see THPGU being on the new album. Paris is nice but it would be an album track at most in Moz's early solo career.

Lyrically its quite poor like a lot of the other new stuff. Its predictable and contrived and has become almost a parody of Morrissey. I think he's probably in a settled period in his personal life but he's going back to what he knows to write about and its coming off a bit distant and false.

He needs another IBEH/FOTGTD/YHKM desperately to launch the album.

I'd like it to be One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell but I really doubt it will be.

My choice too of the once we've heard. Of course other songs might be better suited for it but that one seems to be the best suited as a single.

The issue of Alain not playing his own songs on the record is troubling. The only reason I can think of is that the album was apparently recorded with a very live feel -- all the musicians together with Moz in the studio. Since Jesse still has the job of touring guitarist and apparently has no songs on there...maybe Moz had to give him something to do.

Boz is not big on details (and wouldn't really have a say in track listings, singles and the like) -- I think he was just rattling off what he had contributed. I don't know how long track listings are set in stone before albums are pressed, but it's getting pretty close to that time.

I hope Black Cloud is akin to his best work on Vauxhall. Something like Speedway, hopefully!

Edit: And yes, Paris is definitely the Mexico of the current period. I like both, but at least the lyrics of Mexico got people talking. Paris is one of Morrissey's weakest lyrically, of the recent batch. Nice music, though.

As usual, Xerox my thoughts on Morrissey and the are generally yours, Leer - although, I would emphasize the "throw away" (imperative form) on That's How People Grow Up.

Hopefully, Boz was wide of the mark that it will be included on the album. If that were to happen, I would think that (a) either Alain's 11 new songs (not counting My Dearest Love) were not all up to snuff or (b) something has since broken down between them. Someone wrote in a comment to the main page a month or so ago that Alain stated in a myspace e-mail message that he wouldn't contribute his material if he was not allowed to play on the songs in the studio. This was on the heels of My Dearest Love, which, clearly, did not include Alain (or else he was mixed out). Then again, if Jesse is not contributing new songs, that would leave eight spots for Alain with three more as B-side contributions.

Paris is a stellar B-side in the Mexico mode, feel-wise. It's such a lyrical trifle as to make the 2:32 of Now I Am a Was seem epic.

I wish the Southpaw Grammar reissue was out YESTERDAY. If there are three unreleased tracks and if the third is presumably Laughing Anne it looks to be an Alain co-write, given Boz's interview.

Cheers,
Jamie

Last edited:
"And THPGU also on the new album. Not so good news. "

i thought boz was just saying out of the newer songs post ringleader, thpgu was one he wrote.

When Boz talks about songs that have been recorded for "Years of Rufusal", he may well be talking about the session, rather than the album itself. As "Musical Director" I'm sure he knows whats what, but he might just lump all the songs together as when they were recorded they would all have been likely contenders?

Just a thought?

Terrible choice for lead single. It really is 'Morrissey by numbers' with a tired lyrical theme that is worringly devoid of any of Morrissey's usual wit. It'll probably get to a 'teens' position in the charts, which would be a disaster for a lead single.

Skull would be better, vastly superior lyrics.

I cant help that feeling Boz is mistaken though because surely he's wrong about THPGU

How much say does Moz/the Moz camp have when it comes to chosing the singles, b sides, album tracks etc.? Can he pick whatever he likes to be released as a single or is it up to the record company?

I'd go for "MAMA".

How much say does Moz/the Moz camp have when it comes to chosing the singles, b sides, album tracks etc.? Can he pick whatever he likes to be released as a single or is it up to the record company?

I'd go for "MAMA".

I think they only have the power of veto. He picks them. Remember "Sunny" that was a late "contractual" thing, but the choice of song was his.

I never really thought about it that way until I read this thread and PT/your exchange... so...yes, the tracks leaking out is a bit anti-climatic. I'm being cautiously optimistic tho... I said to you what I was telling myself. :)

I know how much we're going to cling to the gems we haven't heard yet.

Today I can join you in being optimistic. I just hope that we don't hear the whole album before it's released..I like for things to be a suprise. Remember how Ringleader was up on his myspace page way before the whole album was released? Do other artists do this? Maybe Moz is just so excited for us to hear his new songs he just can't contain himself.

Back
Top Bottom