‘Paris’ first single from New Album?

I disagree somewhat.

Paris, I feel, is that the sort of song where the sort of people who would hear the song on the radio (presume Decca get anyone to play it) and then like it are not the sort of people that MuteWitness616 and others feel don't 'deserve' to be fans, or won't be 'real' fans etc.

For example, I can easilly see my step mother hearing the song on Radio 2 one afternoon and having the chorus stuck in her head for a few hours. Where as with Skull (again, which I think is the better song) this obviously would not be the case.

This indeed may be true, but begs the question why is morrissey making average songs in order to pander to the ailing singles market?

Well average is an opinion. That you think it's an average song doesn't mean everyone else on the planet does. So I don't really know how to answer your question.

If you're asking why does Morrissey make songs that you find to be average, well I guess you and Morrissey must have developed a differing taste over the years ;)

EDIT: I know it's not the greatest example, but, to got back to my step mum. She more than likely would like Paris and would not like Skull at all. It's not a question of one song being definitivly 'better' than the other, just a matter of taste.

My whole argument in this thread isn't about what single I would prefer, but rationalising why this single has been chosen - if it has - rather than quickly saying "Well I prefer xyz so this is a terrible choice of single".

Last edited:
Well average is an opinion. That you think it's an average song doesn't mean everyone else on the planet does. So I don't really know how to answer your question.

If you're asking why does Morrissey make songs that you find to be average, well I guess you and Morrissey must have developed a differing taste over the years ;)

sorry what I mean is I love most of the new stuff, esp. 'mama' which is just colossal. But 'Paris' is relatively poor. I'd rather he forget about the singles market and write more songs like 'mama'

Oh, yes, I agreee with you there completly, which is a rarity for me on this forum!

But Morrissey does have a odd connection with the singles chart, even though it really doesn't matter anymore in the grand scheme of things, due to it being so important 30/40 years ago when he was a kid.

Hey everyone,

I just got confirmation that THPGU will be on Years of Refusal. I'm a bit bummed myself but i though you all would be interested.

Hey everyone,

I just got confirmation that THPGU will be on Years of Refusal. I'm a bit bummed myself but i though you all would be interested.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the song (I don't think it's really all that bad myself) that is a very odd choice.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for letting us know. I'm truly disappointed. :(

Hey everyone,

Oops that's a certain clanger, it's just a song that i'll constantly skip which isn't a good start at all.
Hopefully the rest will be glorious.

Oops that's a certain clanger, it's just a song that i'll constantly skip which isn't a good start at all.
Hopefully the rest will be glorious.

While this is indeed disappointing - and indicative of the overestimation Morrissey accords this misfire - the better questions to ask in order to suss out the overall quality of the new album would be:

1. How many Alain Whyte compositions and has he been allowed to appear on at least his own songs?
2. How much Jesse Tobias crap will our ears be assaulted by?
3. Is Black Cloud everything That's How People Grow Up is not?

I'm still hoping that Boz is not privy to the final cut. I think this is the first time in Morrissey's solo career that a non-album single which is clearly not intended as a lead-in has been rehashed. So what will be the Kit or Striptease with a Difference from this album that will be elbowed aside by such inferior material?

Cheers,
Jamie

As That's How People Grow Up is a Boz song, should you not be more worried by his contributions that Jesse's?

Imo, nyet. Lackluster as That's How People Grow Up is, it's still better than the wretched I Just Want to See The Boy Happy. And the two other new Boz songs we've heard are better than Jesse's other songs by a country mile.

But neither of them has any business being the majority writer for an album if this is the BEST they have.

Cheers,
Jamie

could it be as an additional bonus track? for the benefit of those who perhaps didnt buy the single or greatest hits.
so basically, for no one who comes on here...

That makes absolutely no sense, neither artistically nor commercially.

Agreed.

Why do this? Especially if there is 14-15 song titles / ideas in the melting pot. By including this, that's one less new track we get. Moz must pure love it.

Maybe as the above comment suggests, its tacked on as a bonus track, either in a demo / alternate version ?

I'm equally disappointed that grow up is on the album and I also feel that it doesn't make sense.

Weren't grow up and all you need is me recorded in one off sessions crammed in during the US tour? Then after the tour the band get together to record the album, Alain Whyte is brought in to work with the team, new songs and ideas will obviously have been worked on throughout the tour but essentially the team come together to record new material.

I can't work out how grow up creeps into contention for the new album, it has been released and has already appeared on an album - weird.

I have an idea for Morrissey's next album, why doesn't he pick what he believes are the best 12 songs of his carear and re-release those? (In fact scrap that because we all know he'd pick the weirdest 12 imaginable!):D

That makes absolutely no sense, neither artistically nor commercially.
Couldn't this summarise Morrissey's entire career ?!
I've given up attempting to make sense of Morrissey's artistic and commercial decisions. I just go with the flow; some I love, some.....less so. If it makes sense to include 'That's How People Grow Up' then surely it would make 'sense' to include 'My Dearest Love', one of his most beautiful songs of the last ten years. But it aint gonna happen.
As Anaesthesine has said elsewhere "It's fascinating to see how he continues to be an impossible person."
As for 'Paris' as the new single the best thing about that could be the promo video ~ how about Morrissey dry-humping various Parisian landmarks ? Gettin it on with Notre-Dame, spooning the Louvre, mooning at Montmartre and a quick fondle of Sacre-Coeur. If he can get jiggy with Mushroom Rock in Death Valley then why not La Ville-lumiere ?
Kind regards,
joe.

Back
Top Bottom