‘The Secret of Music’ is the worst Morrissey song I’ve ever heard

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I love King Leer!

I guess he wants to forget that album, but, now that he has a keyboardist, would be great if he did the whole Kill Uncle album live.

I like it! Sitting around listlessly, nothing interesting him. He needs to find a new passion.

The secret of music is wonderfully weird. I don't have a problem with it.
Agree, and I think it will be better live because the blueprint of that groove with various things coming in and out over the top could be a great backdrop to improvise over. He needs some looseness in the set and it's good for the band to be able to stretch out.
It's sad that some people think the drum opening to The Operation is a bad thing or that Bobby Don't You Think They Know would be better without the instrumental sections but I think it's a similar thing. People want their music to be more concise but sometimes you have to relax and branch out and let the band be a band. That's the difference between him and a lot of traditional "male vocalists." He could have become one of those guys with an anonymous band who basically acts as a living jukebox every performance but he has that rock element and has always liked weird challenging music. Even if people don't like the song they should be glad that he's putting things like this out instead of turning into Rod Stewart or Tom Jones, not that they're awful but I don't check for their latest records and I don't expect either of them would put out something like this.

Agree, and I think it will be better live because the blueprint of that groove with various things coming in and out over the top could be a great backdrop to improvise over. He needs some looseness in the set and it's good for the band to be able to stretch out.
It's sad that some people think the drum opening to The Operation is a bad thing or that Bobby Don't You Think They Know would be better without the instrumental sections but I think it's a similar thing. People want their music to be more concise but sometimes you have to relax and branch out and let the band be a band. That's the difference between him and a lot of traditional "male vocalists." He could have become one of those guys with an anonymous band who basically acts as a living jukebox every performance but he has that rock element and has always liked weird challenging music. Even if people don't like the song they should be glad that he's putting things like this out instead of turning into Rod Stewart or Tom Jones, not that they're awful but I don't check for their latest records and I don't expect either of them would put out something like this.

agree

I haven't heard "The Secret of Music," but I'll be intrigued (and horrified) if it's worse than "Spent the Day in Bed." I think the worst song on Kill Uncle is easily "Found Found Found"—apart from its own unique, thumping badness, it's also out of place among the twee, light-as-feather rockabilly stylings and ghostly piano ploddings.

I'm sure it's been done on this forum before, but since this thread is so particular in its focus, maybe it's time for another round of "5 Worst (or Least Favorite) Morrissey Songs." Mine are indicative of a dismaying trend.

Spent the Day in Bed
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Found Found Found
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage
Knockabout World

Last edited:
I haven't heard "The Secret of Music," but I'll be intrigued (and horrified) if it's worse than "Spent the Day in Bed." I think the worst song on Kill Uncle is easily "Found Found Found"—apart from its own unique, thumping badness, it's also out of place among the twee, light-as-feather rockabilly stylings and ghostly piano ploddings.

I'm sure it's been done on this forum before, but since this thread is so particular in its focus, maybe it's time for another round of "5 Worst (or least favorite) Morrissey Songs." Mine are indicative of a dismaying trend.

Spent the Day in Bed
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Found Found Found
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage
Knockabout World

I love "Found Found Found." Yes it's lightweight and short and I used to wear out my walkman batteries rewinding to hear it a second and third time. I like four of the songs on your list, and just when I thought maybe we could be friends. :ROFLMAO:

"Found Found Found" almost sounds something like the template for "London," but slowed down to half-speed and with a truly irritating bass line. I must say, I do like Morrissey's vocal lines against an aggressive and/or jagged backdrop ("What She Said," "London," "Sweet and Tender Hooligan," "Alsatian Cousin"), but "Found Found Found" was I think the first time it went severely south. It has gone south several times since against Jesse Tobias' "chug rock," a term which someone on this forum used to describe it and which I think is perfectly apt.

"Found Found Found" almost sounds something like the template for "London," but slowed down to half-speed and with a truly irritating bass line. I must say, I do like Morrissey's vocal lines against an aggressive and/or jagged backdrop ("What She Said," "London," "Sweet and Tender Hooligan," "Alsatian Cousin"), but "Found Found Found" was I think the first time it went severely south. It has gone south several times since against Jesse Tobias' "chug rock," a term which someone on this forum used to describe it and which I think is perfectly apt.

Terrible song. Always was. Just a drone.

Songs that nothing on 'Dog' can be worse than:

On The Streets I Ran
Children in Pieces
Found Found Found

IMO everything on Maladjusted bar the title track, Alma Matters and Trouble Loves Me. And anyone who claims that they would happily listen to the "World Peace" and LIHS albums from start to finish needs to self isolate.

Sweetie pie?

IMO everything on Maladjusted bar the title track, Alma Matters and Trouble Loves Me. And anyone who claims that they would happily listen to the "World Peace" and LIHS albums from start to finish needs to self isolate.

It may've been you, or it may've been someone else, but the suggestion was floated on here that the better songs on World Peace and Low in High School could've been combined to make a very impressive single album. I agree with that and, to your point, would also say that the dreck from both of those records could be combined to comprise an unthinkably awful album—not just from Morrissey, but conceivably anyone else for that matter.

I will politely disagree on Maladjusted, though. I like everything but "Papa Jack" and "He Cried." "Satan Rejected My Soul" is a favorite.

Knockabout world is great. !Viva Hate! - nothing sucks as much as your ridiculously countless posts and those f***ing gifs.

Disagree. Quite like it, kind of reminds me of The The. The more I hear this album, the more I think the 3 prerelease songs are the worst ones.

I do like the cheerleader gifs, though

secret of music is long and dull. But Knockabout World is fabulous. Not sure what you are looking for if you don't like it.

I will politely disagree on Maladjusted, though. I like everything but "Papa Jack" and "He Cried." "Satan Rejected My Soul" is a favorite.

Maladjusted is Morrissey's masterpiece including the two songs you mention above. The wry wit of his lyrics carried forth in He Cried:

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

It might take a fellow Steven to fully appreciate the reference to St. Stephen. This same wit can also be found in the lyric Yes I walk around....somehow...but you have killed me. I could easily listen to Maladjusted on repeat for days vs. one hour of being forced to listen to anything on the past three records.

His song lyrics now are colorless, weightless, and unmemorable. A constant repetition of the song title in the lyrics along with the same lines used over and over again to no effect. He is painting by numbers now, removed is the art of the words that came from deep within his heart.

At least there are many out there that appreciate what he is doing now keeping him afloat. But he is taking on water like the Titanic and more concerned with rearranging the deck chairs. But alas the S.S. Morrissey always had a penchant for traveling into iceberg infested waters, and like any good captain he will go down with his ship. I do respect him for that.

Maladjusted is Morrissey's masterpiece including the two songs you mention above. The wry wit of his lyrics carried forth in He Cried:

People where
I come from
They survive without feelings or blood
I never could
Was stoned to death
But I'm still living

It might take a fellow Steven to fully appreciate the reference to St. Stephen. This same wit can also be found in the lyric Yes I walk around....somehow...but you have killed me. I could easily listen to Maladjusted on repeat for days vs. one hour of being forced to listen to anything on the past three records.

His song lyrics now are colorless, weightless, and unmemorable. A constant repetition of the song title in the lyrics along with the same lines used over and over again to no effect. He is painting by numbers now, removed is the art of the words that came from deep within his heart.

At least there are many out there that appreciate what he is doing now keeping him afloat. But he is taking on water like the Titanic and more concerned with rearranging the deck chairs. But alas the S.S. Morrissey always had a penchant for traveling into iceberg infested waters, and like any good captain he will go down with his ship. I do respect him for that.
We really need that Insightful emoji back.

Back
Top Bottom