1 in 6 Americans infected with herpes

I am a Ghost

U.S. herpes rates remain high - CDC

*1 in 6 Americans infected with herpes

By JoAnne Allen

WASHINGTON, March 9 (Reuters) - About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes, making it one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.

Black women had the highest rate of infection at 48 percent and women were nearly twice likely as men to be infected, according to an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 21 percent of women were infected with genital herpes, compared to only 11.5 percent of men, while 39 percent of blacks were infected compared to about 12 percent for whites, the CDC said.

There is no cure for genital herpes, or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), which can cause recurrent and painful genital sores and also increases the likelihood of acquiring and transmitting the AIDS virus. It is related to herpes simplex virus 1, or oral herpes, which causes cold sores.

Several drugs are available to treat herpes symptoms and outbreaks, including acyclovir, which is available generically or under the Zovirax brand name, and valacyclovir, known generically as Valtrex -- both made by GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK.L). Ganciclovir, sold as Zirgan, is made by privately-held Sirion Therapeutics, Inc.

The CDC estimates that more than 80 percent of people with genital herpes do not know they are infected.

"The message is herpes is quite common. The symptoms can be often very innocuous," Dr. John Douglas of the CDC said in a teleconference.

"Because herpes is so prevalent it becomes ... a really important reason to use condoms on a consistent and correct basis with all of your partners," Douglas said.

Douglas said the increased rate of infection in blacks is not do to increased risk behavior but likely due to biological factors that make women more susceptible as well as the higher rate of infection within black communities.

The CDC estimates that there are 19 million new sexually transmitted disease infections every year in the United States, costing the health care system about $16 billion annually.

(Editing by Paul Simao)

"About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes..."

How extremely off-putting. Puts a whole new perspective on that poll about Americans being the most attractive people in the world, no? :sick:

"About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes..."

How extremely off-putting. Puts a whole new perspective on that poll about Americans being the most attractive people in the world, no? :sick:

I have no idea how that compares to anywhere else in the world but if it is higher then it probably has something to do with the attractiveness poll. If people are more attractive it's easier for them to have sex. Since sex is the way HPV-2 is spread this is the expected outcome. ;)

effin A, 1 in 6, that seems crazy high, makes me wonder about all the people I kiss :eek:
and really, I think about the main thing I have to worry about is Hep C, there seems to be a lot of that going around the "San Francisco club scene" :cool:
man, why cant I just date a robot girl? :straightface:

effin A, 1 in 6, that seems crazy high, makes me wonder about all the people I kiss :eek:
and really, I think about the main thing I have to worry about is Hep C, there seems to be a lot of that going around the "San Francisco club scene" :cool:
man, why cant I just date a robot girl? :straightface:

or that inflatable girlfriend you had a few months back:laughing:

Jukebox Jury

No, no, this is terribly misleading. It gives one entirely the wrong impression about the United States. You see, 1 in 6 Americans do have herpes, but that's for the entire population, including the prisons. At present we have an incarceration rate of 39% of all adults, most or all of whom have herpes. So, you see, out on the street, there's an excellent chance you won't run into a man or woman with herpes. If you can sidestep the homeless people, picketing lunatics, and uncollected garbage, you will likely find a hygienically uncompromised sexual partner. And in the protected zones of our increasingly-popular gated communities you won't find a single infected citizen!

Last edited:
No, no, this is terribly misleading. It gives one entirely the wrong impression about the United States. You see, 1 in 6 Americans do have herpes, but that's for the entire population, including the prisons. At present we have an incarceration rate of 39% of all adults, most or all of whom have herpes. So, you see, out on the street, there's an excellent chance you won't run into a man or woman with herpes. If you can sidestep the homeless people, picketing lunatics, and uncollected garbage, you will likely find a hygienically uncompromised sexual partner. And in the protected zones of our increasingly-popular gated communities you won't find a single infected citizen!

What??? 39% of all adults have been or are in jail?:confused:

Jukebox Jury

she popped and died

InnerTubeRepairKit.jpg

I hope you didn't throw her out, Robby even if your ardour was a bit deflated

how in the world would you know about this robby? :crazy:

Ok, the simple answer :straightface:
I followed a link on a page reviewing
Lars_real_girl.jpg

which lead to a page with a link to another page, which lead to a link to a now dead link about "Actroids" :eek:
long answer, I've wanted a robot girl since I was a boy and saw that episode of the twilight zone where they bring that guy a robot girl to keep him company on a deserted planet he was sent to for a crime he did not commit
then after he had served his time and could leave but cannot take her with him
he decides to stay with her, I really love that story, yes I do :blushing:

oh, and for the record :straightface: I know nothing about herpes medicine
and am a bit disturbed someone asked me in a private message about it :eek:
did I somehow imply I did with my half joking robot love talk? :crazy:
if so, I do not have herpes and am terrified about all manner of sexual diseases, more than once this fear has cost me "action" :cool:
how about you all? :o

I want to find out how many sexually responsible people have herpes vs. how many skank-hos (that's the technical term for it) have it.

Tags
i <3 the herp paris hilton
Back
Top Bottom