1 OZ pendant -- Davide? anyone?

• Thread starter The Original J.T. Ripper
  • Start date
T

The Original J.T. Ripper

I searched through the forums for an answer to this question (starting with Jan '03), and found one thread to which Davide posted a great reply.

I am looking to get a "1 OZ" pendant exactly like the one Morrissey wears on the back of the Vauxhall and I sleeve -- I thought this subject would've come up more than it does (per the search), but apparently it only did once.

Davide, if you still read this forum, you posted back then that you work for a jewellery company that was able to make custom items, and that you simply had a reproduction made of it.

Would you, or anybody else here, be able to fill me in on how to get one of these? I'd have to think there's enough people on this forum that would be interested in one that you might be able to do a "group buy" to help make it worth your while. However, I'd also be willing to pay a reasonable amount to have an individual one made if that's what it took.

Anybody have any ideas? I've worn a neck chain that carries an actual "Supra" logo that came off the B-pillar of my 1982 Toyota Supra sports car (since I love them and to this day have never owned any car but a Supra, 4 in all) -- but I'd really rather wear the "1 OZ" pendant as Vauxhall and I is my most beloved album, by anyone, of all-time.

Thanks very much, and cheers,
J.T.

This was discussed in some detail before. I myself got one as a gift several years ago. It is quite like the one as featured on Vauxhall, it is silver and does weigh an ounce. I know Grim has had one made too which looks better than mine but may not have been as weighty. I suggested we all contribute to the cost of a mould being made which is I assume what would be needed and from that we would only need to pay for the silver itself and the silversmiths costs. You really need someone in the trade who is willing to produce the necessary mould and provide the raw metal. I know of no such company but there may be others here who can help. My own copy was made in Manchester but not from a mould and it is not hollow as the original one is, but has the "1" and the "OZ" placed within an unpolished silver pennant. I have weighed it though and it contains an ounce of silver and looks very nice but as I said not from the re-useable mould which would cut the cost for multiple copies which I believe there would be a demand for from users of this site. Goodluck with the hunt.

Re: 1 OZ pendant -- Davide? anyone? - POSERs R US

Get a clue dude....ever heard of having your own style?

Stop being such a biter! What, if he wore a platinum nutsack around his neck you'd be looking for that too?

> This was discussed in some detail before. I myself got one as a gift
> several years ago. It is quite like the one as featured on Vauxhall, it is
> silver and does weigh an ounce. I know Grim has had one made too which
> looks better than mine but may not have been as weighty. I suggested we
> all contribute to the cost of a mould being made which is I assume what
> would be needed and from that we would only need to pay for the silver
> itself and the silversmiths costs. You really need someone in the trade
> who is willing to produce the necessary mould and provide the raw metal. I
> know of no such company but there may be others here who can help. My own
> copy was made in Manchester but not from a mould and it is not hollow as
> the original one is, but has the "1" and the "OZ"
> placed within an unpolished silver pennant.

Thanks for the response Gez! Couple of questions...

First, you mention that the original one was hollow -- how do you know this? It may very well be, but just from looking at it on the V&I cover it looks solid. But, thinking about it, given how thick the thing is, if it were truly solid I guess it'd probably weigh more than 1 oz wouldn't it....

Also -- yours is silver -- were you able to get the black background, ie the 1 and the OZ are silver coloured, but with the rest of the face of it being black?

I agree with you that the most cost-effective route would be to have a mold made -- I really have to think there'd be sufficient demand from Morrissey-Solo folks, considering how regularly V&I is listed as the most beloved solo album (even as it somehow always loses out to TQID when including Smiths LPs in the discussion).

Lastly... how did you judge the dimensions? Did you just look at the picture and estimate the length/width based on it's relative size to Moz's hand?

Should really do a separate post here to gauge interest in a group purchase of 1 OZ pendants.......

J.T.

> Get a clue dude....ever heard of having your own style?
> Stop being such a biter! What, if he wore a platinum nutsack around his
> neck you'd be looking for that too?

Thoughtful, well-spoken response there.

Yes, I like to think I do have my own style much of the time. I simply happen to like that pendant because it's NOT something you see every day, like a cross or a sports team logo or etc. And I especially like that LP, and the pendant is a nice, low-key, subtle reminder of it. I hardly think that wanting to have one makes me a "biter," as you put it...

You're telling me you've never bought something because you saw it somewhere else first? That hardly seems realistic. Any clothing or jewellery you buy, is because you saw it in a store or on a model or in a magazine, so your argument doesn't hold much water.

And no, if he wore a platinum nutsac I would not buy it. Anyone on this forum who's been around here awhile can tell you that while I don't hate gays, I'm also no friend to gay rights, gay marriage, gay adoption, etc. causes.

Unsure whence your negativity comes, but I just happen to like that pendant. As do many others here apparently.

So sod off :)

Cheers,
J.T.

No, you're pretty much still a biter. Thinking about having one custom made just because you cant find it, hardcore biter move there bro. I bet you're co-workers have a pretty good time bagging on you for sh@t like that.

Funny reply though, you passive aggressive douche.

By the way, austin.res.rr. Would that mean that you are in Austin, TX and use Roadrunner internet service? Well, for you're sake I hope you are English, as in born and raised there. Because if you arent, using "sod off" is more proof that you are a sorry biter, maricon!

> I bet you're (sic) co-workers have a pretty good time bagging on you for
> sh@t like that.
[snip]
> By the way, austin.res.rr. Would that mean that you are in Austin, TX and
> use Roadrunner internet service? Well, for you're (sic) sake I hope you are
> English, as in born and raised there. Because if you arent, using
> "sod off" is more proof that you are a sorry biter, maricon!

Yes, I am English.

Speaking of English, you should try learning it sometime. "You're" is a contraction of "you are", it's not the same as the possessive "your." But then, given your use of homophobic Hispanic street slang, one wonders if you're actually a Mexican illegal instead of a genuine U.S. citizen.

Your (!) rants have been mildly amusing, but I'm done with your animosity -- thanks for the chuckles. I'm glad most people on this forum aren't like you :)

Cheers,
J.T.

>Anyone on this
> forum who's been around here awhile can tell you that while I don't hate
> gays, I'm also no friend to gay rights, gay marriage, gay adoption, etc.
> causes.

I was about to post in favour of your "right" to wear what the f*** you want, for whatever reason you like, until i read that shit about you being "no friend to gay rights" etc.
You sound like a stupid prick, why don't you f*** off idiot.

> I was about to post in favour of your "right" to wear what the
> f*** you want, for whatever reason you like, until i read that shit about
> you being "no friend to gay rights" etc.
> You sound like a stupid prick, why don't you f*** off idiot.

Jeez.

And to think all I wanted was some information on how to locate or have made a simple neck chain pendant. Now I'm starting to remember what turned me off of this site about a year ago...

I don't hate gays, I'm not a homophobe, and I think they should be able to do whatever they want in the privacy of their own homes. I simply believe, as most Christians do, that marriage is between a man and woman and that the government shouldn't officially recognise "gay marriages" just because NAMBLA and other groups are raising a stink about it. About 70% of the US populace has similar beliefs. Yet somehow I'm a "stupid prick" and an "idiot"? With you tossing around words like that, who's the real hate-monger here? And I only brought it up because "black boy lane" somehow felt the need imply that I would purchase a "platinum nutsac."

Can we please get back to my original MORRISSEY related question?

Thanks,
J.T.

"Hispanic street slang, one wonders if you're actually a Mexican illegal instead of a genuine U.S. citizen."

WTF? You are English and living in the US, and you have the nerve to raise the issue of Mexican illegals?

When you are done teaching English (a noble cause, I'll admit) you should look into history, particularly if you are in Texas, and find out that the land you are living in was once Mexico. It is in the history books that war was provoked so that the land could be taken from the Mexican people.

"In 1845 Polk sent federal emissaries to offer compensation for the disputed area of Texas as well as the territories of New Mexico and California. When the Mexican government rejected the offer, Polk sent troops under General Zachary Taylor into the Texas Territory. Mexican troops attacked Taylor's force, and Polk claimed this action as a provocation of war. Congress approved Polk's decision, and the Mexican War began."

Although I can't find it now, I remember reading letters between Polk and Taylor where the topic of sending the soldiers into the territory specifically to provoke war was explicitly discussed.

I realize that this is far off the topic of you getting your necklace but you should try to be careful about the offhand remarks.

> I don't hate gays,

Yes, you do.

I'm not a homophobe,

Yes, you are.

and I think they should be able to
> do whatever they want in the privacy of their own homes.

Well that's very big of you.

I simply believe,
> as most Christians do,

This is where your "argument", such as it is, starts to smell like rotting fish.

>that marriage is between a man and woman

"Adam & Eve" not "Adam & Steve" right?
Keep digging f***face.

and that
> the government shouldn't officially recognise "gay marriages"

So you believe that gay people, some who have been together for considerably longer than their hetero counterparts, shouldn't be able to have their partnership legally validated and enjoy the same benefits afforded to married heterosexuals?

> just because NAMBLA and other groups are raising a stink about it.

Now you're attempting to link a group of paedophiles, NAMBLA, with gay people, insinuating that there is some connection between being gay and being a paedophile.
What the f*** are arseholes like you doing listening to Morrissey???

About
> 70% of the US populace has similar beliefs.

70% of backward Americans you mean?

Yet somehow I'm a "stupid
> prick" and an "idiot"?

Don't forget "f***face".

With you tossing around words like
> that, who's the real hate-monger here? And I only brought it up because
> "black boy lane" somehow felt the need imply that I would
> purchase a "platinum nutsac."

> Can we please get back to my original MORRISSEY related question?

Can you please get back to your Right-Wing Fundamentalist website you stupid idiotic prick.

> Thanks,
> J.T.

Don't mention it.

Your arguments would be a lot more interesting if you weren't so crass and hateful in your delivery. You don't even know me. I'm happy to engage in give and take, but not if you're going to be like that. I disagree with your views, but certainly don't call you things like "f*ckface". At least try to represent your left-wing political correctness with some dignity.

J.T.

>> "Hispanic street slang, one wonders if you're actually a Mexican
>> illegal instead of a genuine U.S. citizen."

> WTF? You are English and living in the US, and you have the nerve to raise
> the issue of Mexican illegals?

Well, I am an American citizen so I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be upset at Mexicans who figuratively flip the bird at U.S. federal law by streaming across the border illegally. The operative word in "illegal immigrant" is "illegal." As in, they broke the law and their very presence in this country is illegal. Why do so many people prefer that criminals go unpunished? The U.S. House of Represenatives just passed a bill a week ago that seriously cracks down on illegal immigration, so even they (finally) recognise how big a problem it is. Sensenbrenner introduced the legislation, but it was Tom Tancredo (R-CO) who was the driving force behind exposing the dirty truth of how both multicultural-worshipping Democrats and greedy big-business Republicans encourage illegal immigration for completely different reasons.

> When you are done teaching English (a noble cause, I'll admit) you should
> look into history, particularly if you are in Texas, and find out that the
> land you are living in was once Mexico. It is in the history books that
> war was provoked so that the land could be taken from the Mexican people.

Yes, this is true, I won't deny that. But consider this: the Spanish from whom we violently took Texas are hardly innocent folk. The Spanish themselves violently and forcibly took the landmass of modern Mexico from the Aztecs via all sorts of pillaging and plundering and raping and killing. Neil Young did a nice expose of this in "Cortez The Killer" off his 1975 album, Zuma. So should we really feel sorry for the Spanish when the English give them a nice taste of their own medicine?

Frankly, isn't this how pretty much every single nation-state in the world today got created? The Romans invaded England (Hadrian's Wall, anyone?), England invaded France, Japan invaded all sorts of countries in the Pacific rim, Russia has been battling China for centuries.... I mean, if you really boil it down, one could demand that pretty much every single citizen of every single country apologise for his/her ancestors' involvement in the killing of people to get land. That's hardly plausible, or reasonable. And the U.S. is hardly unique in having done the same with Texas.

Not that I'm condoning that sort of violence, mind you. I'm just saying, it's in the history books. It was part of our "Manifest Destiny" mindset of the 1800s. And Spain was no different that England and the U.S. were. Just ask the tens of thousands of murdered Aztecs.

> "In 1845 Polk sent federal emissaries...
[snip]
> Congress approved Polk's decision, and the Mexican War began."

That's a fascinating historical tidbit, one I recall learning way back in grade school, but it's the kind where the details get hazy as one grows older, since our jobs and careers rarely afford time for history reading (which is a shame, methinks). i certainly wouldn't deny that that's how things went down, however --- in fact, it's quite probable.

> Although I can't find it now, I remember reading letters between Polk and
> Taylor where the topic of sending the soldiers into the territory
> specifically to provoke war was explicitly discussed.

Yeah, I'd believe that. It was a different day and age back then, for better or worse. This country is awfully well-to-do and rich right now, and a lot of it is because we killed Indians, killed Mexicans, enslaved Africans, and started pillaging North America's natural resources. Hardly the sort of thing one would find in a fairy tale.

But... we're all byproducts of this. I'm sure many of us own our own homes in nice new clean affluent communities. Who here among us is willing to just give that up because the U.S. became as rich as it did due to the blood of Indians, Spanish, and Africans? Not many, I don't imagine.

At some point, you just have to acknowledge that this stuff is in the history books, and you can't keep going back in time and making everyone today apologise for what happened hundreds of years ago. The U.S. is an independent nation-state with its own borders and laws, whether Mexico likes it or not. And I'm simply asking, as a U.S. citizen, that anyone who breaks U.S. law by illegally entering the country... be punished and deported. In short, I'd like U.S. laws to be upheld and enforced -- not exactly radical or hateful views, methinks...

> I realize that this is far off the topic of you getting your necklace but
> you should try to be careful about the offhand remarks.

Duly noted. My comment was less offhand, and more of a playfully caustic response to an individual who was quite curiously bellicose towards an original post of mine that was 100% about a Morrissey neckchain. But yeah, perhaps I let my illegal immigration pet peeve bleed through in my response a bit more than was necessary. But hey, sometimes ya gotta spice things up occasionally :)

Cheers to you,
J.T.

> Would you, or anybody else here, be able to fill me in on how to get one
> of these? I'd have to think there's enough people on this forum that would
> be interested in one that you might be able to do a "group buy"
> to help make it worth your while. However, I'd also be willing to pay a
> reasonable amount to have an individual one made if that's what it took.

> Anybody have any ideas? I've worn a neck chain that carries an actual
> "Supra" logo that came off the B-pillar of my 1982 Toyota Supra
> sports car (since I love them and to this day have never owned any car but
> a Supra, 4 in all) -- but I'd really rather wear the "1 OZ"
> pendant as Vauxhall and I is my most beloved album, by anyone, of
> all-time.

What do you suppose the 1OZ means?

> Thanks very much, and cheers,
> J.T.

> Get a clue dude....ever heard of having your own style?

> Stop being such a biter! What, if he wore a platinum nutsack around his
> neck you'd be looking for that too?

Yeah, but at least it would be an improvement over that Toyota shit....

> What do you suppose the 1OZ means?

From what I've read in past forum posts (both here and in the main page articles area), it was given to Moz by Jake. The idea apparently was that the "1" looked like an "M" situationed between the left and right borders of the pendant, with the "oz" beneath it.... thus spelling out "Moz"

Not sure if I believe that, but it's as good an explanation as any that I've heard. In an interview, Moz joked that he "did a lot of baking." He clearly liked it though since it was on the back sleeve of that 1994 album, and he was pictured still wearing it for 2001's Best Of compilation (even though the pic was evidently taken a few years prior to that).

The 1OZ pendant just seems like a nice subtle way to express an affection for Morrissey, without hitting people over the head about it (ie with a t-shirt). Hopefully we'll find a way to get some made!

Cheers,
J.T.

> I simply believe,
> as most Christians do, that marriage is between a man and woman and that
> the government shouldn't officially recognise "gay marriages"
> just because NAMBLA and other groups are raising a stink about it.

What the f*** does NAMBLA have to do with it? NAMBLA are into little boys....

>About
> 70% of the US populace has similar beliefs. Yet somehow I'm a "stupid
> prick" and an "idiot"? With you tossing around words like
> that, who's the real hate-monger here? And I only brought it up because
> "black boy lane" somehow felt the need imply that I would
> purchase a "platinum nutsac."

You're stupid because the only "argument" you put forth to defend your position is that you "simply believe" because someone at your church told you to think that way. In case you missed out on a basic education, America is a secular country. Also, your attempt to smear those who think gays should have equality under the law as a bunch of NAMBLA child molestors is sickening. Someone should strangle you with your stupid Toyota Supra necklace.

> What the f*** does NAMBLA have to do with it? NAMBLA are into little
> boys....

> You're stupid because the only "argument" you put forth to
> defend your position is that you "simply believe" because
> someone at your church told you to think that way. In case you missed out
> on a basic education, America is a secular country. Also, your attempt to
> smear those who think gays should have equality under the law as a bunch
> of NAMBLA child molestors is sickening. Someone should strangle you with
> your stupid Toyota Supra necklace.

Well, your response was pretty heated, but you are correct in what you say -- allow me to apologise for bringing NAMBLA into the discussion, there was no reason for me ot do that and you're right, they certainly are not representative of the gay rights movement as a whole. Poor judgment on my part, allow me to expunge that from the record.

I'm actually not a very devout Christian, I just have that in my upbringing. But human beings are designed to be heterosexual. It's how we procreate, and it's how whatever greater being up there meant for us to be. History has shown that a monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is most conducive to a safe, successfully upbringing of a child --- proof for this is visible in most every single society around the globe.

Also, I ask you this. If you allow a homosexual man to "marry" another homosexual man, then where do you draw the line? Presumably, the argument is that "it's their lives, and they are free to do as they please."

So... do you support polygamy? Hey, it's 3 consenting adults, right? Who is the U.S. Government to decide what they can and cannot do? What about bestiality? I'm not trying to be an ass here, I'm asking this in a very serious way. In my opinion, if the government deviates and recognises marriages other than man-woman, then where do you draw the line? If you fight for the right for gays to marry, then how can you in good conscience deny the right of 3 or 4 people to marry, or the right of a man to marry his dog? I guess I'm arguing the slippery slope concept.

Once you argue that "it's their right" to do so and the government cannot legislate morals, then you forfeit the right to outlaw polygamy and bestiality, because you've thrown away any arguments against allowing them.

As for the Toyota neckchain, it actually looks pretty cool :) But yeah, I'd prefer the 1OZ one...

Cheers,
J.T.

Yeah, you shouldn't waste your time replying to these folks.
Good points though.

I'm in Dallas, by the way.
Someone told me about someone who had theirs custom made recently. Let me contact that person to see if I can provide you a link or the next step to getting your own.

I actually would like one myself... I wish they'd be easier to just find. They were common in the early 90s. I doubt I'd wear it, but it'd be nice to have... perhaps for displaying over my framed Vauxhall LP....... oh where does it end?

Never does.

> Yes, this is true, I won't deny that. But consider this: the Spanish from
> whom we violently took Texas are hardly innocent folk. The Spanish
> themselves violently and forcibly took the landmass of modern Mexico from
> the Aztecs via all sorts of pillaging and plundering and raping and
> killing. Neil Young did a nice expose of this in "Cortez The
> Killer" off his 1975 album, Zuma. So should we really feel sorry for
> the Spanish when the English give them a nice taste of their own medicine?

> Frankly, isn't this how pretty much every single nation-state in the world
> today got created? The Romans invaded England (Hadrian's Wall, anyone?),
> England invaded France, Japan invaded all sorts of countries in the
> Pacific rim, Russia has been battling China for centuries.... I mean, if
> you really boil it down, one could demand that pretty much every single
> citizen of every single country apologise for his/her ancestors'
> involvement in the killing of people to get land. That's hardly plausible,
> or reasonable. And the U.S. is hardly unique in having done the same with
> Texas.

> Not that I'm condoning that sort of violence, mind you. I'm just saying,
> it's in the history books. It was part of our "Manifest Destiny"
> mindset of the 1800s. And Spain was no different that England and the U.S.
> were. Just ask the tens of thousands of murdered Aztecs.

I agree that this is not a unique situation. I just wanted to say that if I were a Mexican citizen I would have a different perspective on the border.

Also, I am not advocating we give back the land we took. It would be very crowded over in England (or where-ever) if we all had to go back to where we came from.

It's interesting that you bring up Cortez the Killer, it is one of my favorite songs. I am on thin ice here trying to discuss something that really is outside my culture, but it has always surprised me that many Mexican people want to identify with the conquistadors, and are proud to trace their roots to Spain. Maybe it was the slant I was given at school, but I always sort of saw the Spanish invaders as the bad guys that destroyed a great culture. Of course many of the people of Mexico (most?) are of Spanish origin and may not see it that way.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Back
Top Bottom