"1001 Songs you must hear before you die" includes The Smiths / Morrissey

a book by Robert Dimery (Editor) and Bruno MacDonald (Editor)
Preface by Tony Visconti

Only four of TtheSmiths/Morrissey:
600. The Smiths - This Charming Man
629. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
657. The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
701. Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday

also a checklist at

Mainstream Smiths/Moz songs are the worst ones
Except they don't have "mainstream" songs, even the ones that managed to become the popular ones - that are listed above, have superb lyrics and carry profound meaning. They never made anything dumbed down for the sake of appealing to the general public.

Last edited:
I agree 100%

what I really meant was, as a 32 year fan, those are some of my least favorite songs (they’re still miles ahead of the rest of the music world pack) but as far as the Smiths/Morrissey catalogs go

Except they don't have "mainstream" songs, even the ones that managed to become the popular ones - that are listed above, have superb lyrics and carry profound meaning. They never made anything dumbed down for the sake of appealing to the general public.

Mainstream Smiths/Moz songs are the worst ones
TIALTNGO is one of the most gorgeous pieces of pop music ever written. The same could be said about EILS.

Of course they’re incredible songs, I think they’ve been overplayed so much that they’ve lost the magic for me. I like EILS studio version, but I don’t think it translates well live.

TIALTNGO is one of the most gorgeous pieces of pop music ever written. The same could be said about EILS.

Of course they’re incredible songs, I think they’ve been overplayed so much that they’ve lost the magic for me. I like EILS studio version, but I don’t think it translates well live.
I understand. To me, There is a Light can never lose its magic, no matter how many times I hear it.

Songs don’t tell the whole story.

If I wrote an “Albums you must listen to before you die” book ....

The Smiths Queen is Dead and Morrissey’s
Viva Hate would be in that list.

Along with Scott Walker’s TILT, Lou Reed’s Berlin, Kate Bush’s The Dreaming, Patti Smith’s Horses and Radio Ethiopia, Nico’s The Marble Index,
Iggy Pop’s Raw Power, Bowie’s Diamond Dogs and Heroes. etc,etc ...

just to name a few.

Last edited:
Songs don’t tell the whole story.

If I wrote an “Albums you must listen to before you die” book ....

The Smiths Queen is Dead and Morrissey’s
Viva Hate would be in that list.

Along with Scott Walker’s TILT, Lou Reed’s Berlin, Kate Bush’s The Dreaming, Patti Smith’s Horses and Radio Ethiopia, Nico’s The Marble Index,
Iggy Pop’s Raw Power, Bowie’s Diamond Dogs and Heroes. etc,etc ...

just to name a few.

:)

"These artists have the most albums in the 2017 edition.

MUST I ?

how can anyone pick 1001 songs,its like putting a pin on the map of the world.what makes the number one song better than the number two song.
what was the number one song.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom