13 Morrissey studio albums ranking

What's blasphemous to me is Low in high school below Kill Uncle! Almost any song in High School is better than anything on Kill Uncle. Production in Kill uncle is so weak. The music in High school is fantastic, and songs like My love, I wish you lonely and Question Mark are among his best...

Kill Uncle is a top 5 Morrissey album. Only weak track is Found, Found , Found. I do love LIHS though, side A is flawless

Kill Uncle is a top 5 Morrissey album. Only weak track is Found, Found , Found. I do love LIHS though, side A is flawless
But how come you haven't listened to ROTT? You seem like a fan, I mean. Passionate, even.

For some reason I've just never felt compelled to and I can't explain why. I will of course. Anything in my top 6 I've listened to multiple times, below that maybe once or twice
That last statement is also bewildering. You come across as a casual fan. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I’m just surprised!
Also: when did you first discover Moz?

That last statement is also bewildering. You come across as a casual fan. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I’m just surprised!
Also: when did you first discover Moz?

I knew a couple songs from The Smiths but discovered Morrissey's solo stuff about 5 years ago and was hooked. I like his solo stuff more than The Smiths. I've probably listened to Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, V&I and Kill Uncle dozens of times each at least. LIHS and Years Of Refusal a ton as well, the rest only a few spins. IANADOAC has been on repeat for a week now

I think what this thread demonstrates is that Morrissey will will never be able to make the perfect album (everyone seems to expect) that will appease his fans because there are such varying opinions on what is his best work actually is. For example his worst record (in my opinion) Southpaw has been described as a masterpiece somewhere on this site and its fine if that is your view but this demonstrates that Morrissey devides opinions even amongst his own fanbase with no general consensus on his best material.

I think what this thread demonstrates is that Morrissey will will never be able to make the perfect album (everyone seems to expect) that will appease his fans because there are such varying opinions on what is his best work actually is. For example his worst record (in my opinion) Southpaw has been described as a masterpiece somewhere on this site and its fine if that is your view but this demonstrates that Morrissey devides opinions even amongst his own fanbase with no general consensus on his best material.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...it's all subjective, my friend.
I like marmite; you hate it....& imho, Southpaw is a masterpiece, & so is Maladjusted, & so is...oh well, you get my drift.

I knew a couple songs from The Smiths but discovered Morrissey's solo stuff about 5 years ago and was hooked. I like his solo stuff more than The Smiths. I've probably listened to Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, V&I and Kill Uncle dozens of times each at least. LIHS and Years Of Refusal a ton as well, the rest only a few spins. IANADOAC has been on repeat for a week now
I see. Fair enough. What other artists do you like? Is Morrissey your favorite?

If a majority of the songs are in a musical style that makes you nauseous, how many times should one listen in order to "let it bed in"? It's dance-electro-techno-rave-pop. Boppy beeps and bloops. Repeated listens would amount to psychological self-torture. I never thought I'd say that about 2/3rds of a Morrissey album, but there it is.

I'm with you, Aubrey

1. Your Arsenal
2. You Are The Quarry
3. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
4. Vauxhall & I
5. Viva Hate
6. Maladjusted
7. Low in High School
8. Southpaw Grammar
9. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
10. Years of Refusal
11. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
12. Kill Uncle
13. California Sun

From Beatles to Nirvana to Elvis, Black Metal, underground Rap, Folk and Classical. Many artists but Morrissey is probably my favorite or at least top 3 When you get into Morrissey?
Glad to see some Elvis in there. I first became interested in Moz in 2001, after seeing a special on him on Swedish tv. But got into him full on in 2002 (or maybe it was early 2003). Mostly Smiths in the beginning, along with whatever solo stuff I could get my hands on. Since I didn’t have a computer back then nor that much money (I was still in my teens), I relied heavily on my public library and they only had Maladjusted and the Suedehead best of. I couldn't afford to buy both the Smiths and the solo catalog, so I began by buying Smiths. Haha... Haven’t looked back since.

LEADERBOARD (Update)

1) Vauxhall And I - 500 pts
2) Your Arsenal - 453 pts
3) Viva Hate - 437 pts
4) You Are The Quarry - 348 pts
5) I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 300 pts
6) Southpaw Grammar - 251.5 pts
7) Ringleader Of The Tormentors - 247 pts
8) Maladjusted - 246.5 pts
9) World Peace Is None Of Your Business - 240 pts
10) Years Of Refusal - 232 pts
11) Kill Uncle - 195.5 pts
12) Low In High School - 170.5 pts
13) California Son - 114 pts

I don't like Kill Uncle, but I love Mute Witness and I quite like I'm driving your girlfriend home. And I'm with you on Low in high school: fantastic from track 1 to track 8, then not so much. A solid album.

Seeing the last update, I'm struck by how badly ranked Maladjusted is and conversely how high up I Am Not A Dog On A Chain ranks. Low in High School is for me the hardest record to classify as I love the first 4 tracks + closing track Israel but find the rest of the album varies from mediocre to (really) bad.

Bellow my two cents:

1. Vauxhall & I
2. You Are The Quarry
3. Your Arsenal
4. Maladjusted
5. Southpaw Grammar
6. Viva Hate
7. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
8. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
9. Years of Refusal
10. Low in High School
11. Kill Uncle
12. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
13. California Sun

Last edited:
1. Vauxhall
2. Maladjusted
3. Quarry
4. Arsenal
5. Southpaw
6. Dog
7. Viva
8. Refusal
9. Ringleader
10. Kill Uncle
11. World Peace
12. LIHS

5-8 are interchangeable and equally good, I think. Uncle and WP are also level. California Son has been left out. Feels like a separate entity.

1. Viva (8 great songs)
2. Your arsenal (7 great songs)
3. Vauxhall (6 great songs)
4. Dog on a string (5.5 great songs)
5. World peace (5 great songs)
= 6. Kill uncle (all of these have 4 great songs)
= 6. Years of refusal
= 6. Maladjusted
9. Low in High School (mainly due to appalling lyrics - otherwise would be top 5)
10.Ringleaders (2 great songs)
11. You are the quarry (1 great song)
12. Southpaw grammar (No great songs)

LEADERBOARD (Update)

1) Vauxhall And I - 537 pts
2) Your Arsenal - 486 pts
3) Viva Hate - 465 pts
4) You Are The Quarry - 374 pts
5) I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 320 pts
6) Maladjusted - 275.5 pts
7) Southpaw Grammar - 271.5 pts
8) Ringleader Of The Tormentors - 263 pts
9) World Peace Is None Of Your Business - 258 pts
10) Years Of Refusal - 250 pts
11) Kill Uncle - 209.5 pts
12) Low In High School - 181.5 pts
13) California Son - 117 pts

Obviously these things change. For the longest time Viva Hate was top of my list, and Southpaw near the bottom, but at the moment:

1. I am Not a Dog on a Chain
2. Your Arsenal
3. Vauxhall and I
4. Southpaw Grammar
5. Ringleader of the Tormentors
6. You are the Quarry
7. World Peace is None of Your Business
8. Low in High School
9. Viva Hate
10. Years of Refusal
11. California Son
12. Kill Uncle
13. Maladjusted

Apart I’m not a dog on a chain and maybe California son, what Morrissey’s albums have you recently listened from first to last track ?

I thinking that one should do so a couple of times at least with each album before ranking them.

Back
Top Bottom