2004 Nov. 22nd Paris Zenith (2 Disc)

drifter

im going to start posting shows that are so long they take two discs.

this first one is only the second time morrissey played my favorite redondo beach. im trying to find the first show he plays this song. the show is 2004 Nov 11th in L.A. if anyone could be so kind as to load it for us

enjoy

http://rapidshare.com/files/14655073/2004_nov_22_paris_pt_1.rar.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/14655702/2004_paris___2.rar.html

22 November 2004
Le Zénith, Paris, France

How Soon Is Now?
First Of The Gang To Die
November Spawned A Monster
I Like You
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Let Me Kiss You
Redondo Beach
Munich Air Disaster 1958
Rubber Ring
Irish Blood, English Heart
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
The Never Played Symphonies
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Subway Train/Everyday Is Like Sunday
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
You Know I Couldn't Last
/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

The French were given a 18-track setlist typical of the recent American dates. There was a balance between the very old and the very recent, with 5 Smiths songs and 2 early solo titles on one side, and on the other, 8 from "You Are The Quarry", 2 recent b-sides and 1 yet unreleased, the cover of Patti Smith's "Redondo Beach".

Morrissey was in the best of moods and gave a perfect performance. The reviews were mostly positive. The venue wasn't a good choice however, the sound quality was far from good. Morrissey actually asked the fans at some point if they preferred the Olympia (where he had played in 2002) or the Zénith, and said that he himself preferred the latter.

The audience was not the most appreciative. They only seemed to react positively to the older numbers and most of them didn't get the humour of the priest outfit Morrissey wore for the first third of the concert. He then changed in different shirts throughout the evening, but none of them were sent into the crowd. The musicians wore kilts. There was a barrier at a good distance from the stage, it kept the fans away from it and made it difficult for people in the front rows to reach their idol.

Morrissey entered stage, greeted his fans and announced "We are Morrissey!" It must be said that certain pockets of fans in the crowd were more appreciative and vocal. They chanted "Morrissey! Morrissey! Morrissey!" in between songs and at some point Morrissey even replied with his own chant of "Vince Taylor! Vince Taylor! Vince Taylor!"

Morrissey pulled out a few French words like "Bonsoir" and "Merci" and made a few jokes about not understanding the people, sometimes imitating their accents. To someone who shouted for "This Charming Man", Morrissey replied in a french accent "No I will not play 'Zees Charming Man'." He also said before "The Never Played Symphonies" that he had invited French singer Sacha Distel at the Meltdown Festival but the man had died soon after. When someone offered to replace him, Morrissey asked him "Why? Why do you think you could replace him? What could you do?" Morrissey actually introduced himself as Sacha Distel after introducing his musicians by saying he met them in a pub named Miners and asking the crowd if they had heard of it. He wondered why they were dressed in kilts with Jobriath t-shirts.

Morrissey asked the audience what they thought of opening singer James Maker but the reaction was less than enthusiastic, either because they didn't appreciate him, or perhaps because many didn't understand the question. "Bigmouth Strikes Again" was introduced with "As you may all know we all have a dark shadow following us... the past..." In "November Spawned A Monster" Morrissey changed a line to "Yes I am a freak, what can make good of all the bad that's been done".

Morrissey also had the customary chat with front row regular Julia Riley. He asked her how she found Paris and gave her the microphone to answer "Paris is a beautiful city, but even more beautiful today... I think you know why..." He also discussed with other fans in the front rows. To someone who was trying to hand him something he said "I don't think you'll manage to hand it over but nevertheless thank you". To someone who mentioned their dislike of George W Bush, Morrissey replied "I hate Bush... The whole world hates Bush... No one in America likes him either!" In the final song of the main set, "You Know I Couldn't Last", Morrissey changed a line to "The gold days of the old discs".

Returning on stage for the encore, Morrissey and his musicians made a line with their arms around each other, bowed and then returned to their respective positions to perform "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". Morrissey exited the stage after finishing his vocal part, leaving the musicians to finish the song.

info from passions just like mine

Drifter, I have the 11-11 show - the complete one, not the one circulated with three songs missing. I'll upload it and dedicate it to your name.

Thanks, as always, for your sharing. You're a star!

- unrulyboy -

:) Great stuff as always drifter....thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom