30 Best Music Memoirs

A

Anonymous

30 Best Music Memoirs - Johnny Marr's Set the Boy Free is #16

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-music-memoirs/

16: Johnny Marr: Set The Boy Free (Penguin, 2017)
Johnny Marr’s autobiography, Set The Boy Free, was, unsurprisingly, less grandiose than Morrissey’s memoir. The Smiths had a huge influence on music in the 80s and Marr was one of the most influential guitarists of his generation. His memoir, which deals with the break-up of the band and his subsequent career, is witty and moving. Some of the most affecting parts are his memories of growing up in Ardwick Green, Manchester.

30 Best Music Memoirs - Johnny Marr's Set the Boy Free is #16

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-music-memoirs/

16: Johnny Marr: Set The Boy Free (Penguin, 2017)
Johnny Marr’s autobiography, Set The Boy Free, was, unsurprisingly, less grandiose than Morrissey’s memoir. The Smiths had a huge influence on music in the 80s and Marr was one of the most influential guitarists of his generation. His memoir, which deals with the break-up of the band and his subsequent career, is witty and moving. Some of the most affecting parts are his memories of growing up in Ardwick Green, Manchester.

To be honest, it was a shit book. It was ok insofar as an introduction to The Smiths back-history, but it was very thin gruel. Prob 5/10 if being generous.

So Johnny's safe, pleasant-but-ultimately-pointless book gets a mention, but the (far superior) Moz memoir is nowhere to be seen? :rolleyes:

I loved Marr's book. Heartfelt, easy flowing and witty. And with great glimpses into postpunk era Manchester.

I loved Marr's book. Heartfelt, easy flowing and witty. And with great glimpses into postpunk era Manchester.

I loved this book too! If you're looking for dirt or gossip, it's not there. What is there is inspiration, magic, love, written in his straightforward way. His way of writing describes an event and it's up to you to interpret it.

For instance the early Mike Joyce association, how he kept having to be convinced to stay in the band - conveying a lack of passion and opportunism on Mike's part, but that's never spelled out. There are many instances like this.

It's really one of the best music autobiographies out there.

Mixed reviews, but not that bad a read - Richard Carman's: "Johnny Marr: The Smiths & the Art of Gun-Slinging" (2015).
Regards,
FWD.

I loved this book too! If you're looking for dirt or gossip, it's not there. What is there is inspiration, magic, love, written in his straightforward way. His way of writing describes an event and it's up to you to interpret it.

For instance the early Mike Joyce association, how he kept having to be convinced to stay in the band - conveying a lack of passion and opportunism on Mike's part, but that's never spelled out. There are many instances like this.

It's really one of the best music autobiographies out there.
Wholeheartedly agree! And no, there's no dirt or badmouthing - but then again, Marr is one of the nicest guys in rock.

Back
Top Bottom