30 years - Wolverhampton - first solo show (Dec. 22, 1988)

Time moves fast! 30 years are gone since his first solo show in Wolverhampton, UK.
Free entrance with Smiths/Morrissey-Shirt. You can feel or revisit the magic here:

And some Wolverhampton-content is included in the Hulmerist-DVD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hulmerist-...UTF8&qid=1545470473&sr=1-6&keywords=morrissey

ENJOY!

There won´t be 30 more years with Morrissey shows and new songs.
So if you don´t like him, don´t look at him...

Merry X-Mas

Link posted by Famous when dead:

On this day: December 22, 1988 – Morrissey performs his first solo gig - Mancunian Matters
By Harry Benbow.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day: December 22, 1988 – Morrissey performs his first solo gig - Mancunian Matters
By Harry Benbow.

45409_45407_morrissey_youtube_just_morrissey.png

Thirty years ago to the day, Morrissey performed for the first time as a solo artist, and with that stood at the forefront of a British cultural movement for the last time.

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/c...-1988-–-morrissey-performs-his-first-solo-gig

A reflection/discussion about a day I certainly will never forget.
Regards,
FWD.

On a side note: nice to see an article acknowledge that it was a solo gig. Suedehead had been out for 10 months, EDILS for 6 months and it was not ever (to the best of my recollection) a 'final Smiths gig' as reported by some currently on Twitter/FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who else was there?

Skinny?

Well, I was there. In the queue. And I can glimpse my younger self in the Hulmerist footage. Unfortunately I didn’t actually get in...

But it was like Beatlemania when Morrissey arrived in the bus. I have never seen or experienced anything quite like it before or since.

The good old days when he hadn’t yet turned into a walking BNP advert. I miss this Morrissey, it’s such a damn shame.

To me, his solo permitation is a mystery. I wonder what happened after the split meeting at the Gilles Fish & Chips. Did he really realize it was over? Did he immediately contact Stephen Street? His solo career is amazing.

By Harry Benbow.

45409_45407_morrissey_youtube_just_morrissey.png

Thirty years ago to the day, Morrissey performed for the first time as a solo artist, and with that stood at the forefront of a British cultural movement for the last time.

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/c...-1988-–-morrissey-performs-his-first-solo-gig

A reflection/discussion about a day I certainly will never forget.
Regards,
FWD.

On a side note: nice to see an article acknowledge that it was a solo gig. Suedehead had been out for 10 months, EDILS for 6 months and it was not ever (to the best of my recollection) a 'final Smiths gig' as reported by some currently on Twitter/FB.

Tricky one judging by the entry in Mozipedia... but great (sadly short) concert.
Regarding the great article, when the "No bruise" paragraph deals with "Suedehead", it would have been pertinent to point out that the lyric change from "oh so many illustrations" to "oh so many blank pages" is probably in fact a return to the probable original lyric written by Morrissey as the "blank pages" lyric is the one printed in Bona Drag if I'm correct (didn't check, yet).

Last edited:
I was there. Got there about 330am morning of gig. I do remember it was the first time I heard the Morrissey football chant. A joyous occasion for my 18 year old self.

Who else was there?

Me and I got into the gig which was the most incredible 45 minutes of my life.

I am also on the hulmerist video a couple of times.....one scene is quite significant on the video.

I am the kid the green carry , floppy hair , queen is dead t shirt and facial condition.

The story behind me walking down the street with all the fans behind me was.........Tim broad who did mozzers videos at the time had been recording me without me knowing. He came up to me out of the hundreds of fans their and said " will you walk down this street in the direction of the camera".... Yes I said , jumped the metal barrier and the rest is history.

My username on this site is simplysmiths

Guys, is there any footage of Morrissey arriving at the Civic Hall? Also interesting to mention here, a couple of months back I came across a very interesting written interview of Stephen Street telling that (during the recording of Strangeways) Johnny Marr once came to the Wool Hall with a camcorder and did a lot filming. Street believes that there is a lot of footage waiting for someone to find it at Johnny's basement.

Guys, is there any footage of Morrissey arriving at the Civic Hall? Also interesting to mention here, a couple of months back I came across a very interesting written interview of Stephen Street telling that (during the recording of Strangeways) Johnny Marr once came to the Wool Hall with a camcorder and did a lot filming. Street believes that there is a lot of footage waiting for someone to find it at Johnny's basement.
Arrival via bus is captured in the OP video.
Regards,
FWD.

Is that instrumental take of The Queen is Dead from this show's soundcheck or something?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom