30 years - Wolverhampton - first solo show (Dec. 22, 1988)

Time moves fast! 30 years are gone since his first solo show in Wolverhampton, UK.
Free entrance with Smiths/Morrissey-Shirt. You can feel or revisit the magic here:

And some Wolverhampton-content is included in the Hulmerist-DVD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hulmerist-...UTF8&qid=1545470473&sr=1-6&keywords=morrissey

ENJOY!

There won´t be 30 more years with Morrissey shows and new songs.
So if you don´t like him, don´t look at him...

Merry X-Mas

Link posted by Famous when dead:

On this day: December 22, 1988 – Morrissey performs his first solo gig - Mancunian Matters
By Harry Benbow.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, someone has already mentioned that Rourke and Joyce were legally claiming their shares. Was Morrissey so desperate to revive The Smiths that a legal battle was underrated?
Joyce also said it was chaos.

My question is, supposing Johnny had agreed to play, with the understanding from both him and Morrissey that this would be it for the Smiths: what do you think the setlist would've looked like?

Would it have included material from "Strangeways," or would they have just used their QID set because rehearsal would've been too stressful for Morrissey/Marr given the split? Would Marr have conceded and included any Morrissey solo songs given that they were successful?

Last edited:
After all these years and considering what we know now, Johnny Marr was truly sure about the decision he took back then. It was difficult for him to have chosen returning back to the turmoil. For what we know, the situation was always tough, with Morrissey refusing the presence of a manager, and The Smiths were a group that could have never been managed, Morrissey was reluctant. JM would have never boarded the dooming ship again.

I've always secretly wanted a proper album with the old Smiths (Gannon, Rourke, Joyce) in addition to the Playboys/Interesting Drug singles. I know Gannon submitted demos during that time period, unfortunately none of them were used.

My question is, supposing Johnny had agreed to play

I think this question is one not worth pursuing as Johnny quit the band as has been reported many times, and there would be no way he would ever appear with Morrissey on stage again, and he has held true to that.

What I think is much more interesting is that the "remainders" Andy and Mike played this concert in December of 1988 with possibly the hope that they would continue on with Morrissey. The following year Andy settled and Mike filed a lawsuit against Moz (and Johnny.)

I would ask what came first...Morrissey dismissing the other two, or the settlement and lawsuit? If they had been kept, would things have turned out like they did?

But still there are a lot of unanswered questions and there always will be. The real story, the real timeline of events will never come out. If it did all the drama would be leaked out of the mystique of The Smiths like the air out of a balloon. I prefer the balloon to stay full, floating and beautiful.

But still there are a lot of unanswered questions and there always will be. The real story, the real timeline of events will never come out. If it did all the drama would be leaked out of the mystique of The Smiths like the air out of a balloon. I prefer the balloon to stay full, floating and beautiful.

It's just a hypothetical to spin your brain around in. What would the setlist for the last Smiths gig looked like if all four knew it was the last Smiths gig.

It's just a hypothetical to spin your brain around in. What would the setlist for the last Smiths gig looked like if all four knew it was the last Smiths gig.
Most of Strangeways + 'greatest hits', a scattering of b-side gems and ending with Hand in Glove - as a sort of bookend to the whole story (which curiously, they did at Brixton - as if they already knew).

Yes, what Peppermint basically wrote , and definitely no solo stuff. That would be unimaginable.

Bull ox! I reckon how the fek'ell can this be his first "solo show" when Fat Andy and Meth Head Mike were on stage with him? His first solo show was in The California Son's second favorite city next to his hometown Moz Angeles in San Diego, May 1991. You foreigners are so lost mate inn n nn nnn nnn nnn nnnn nn it.

the concert was the smiths second split.fact.

i recall the announcer evern referring to it as a smiths concert because there was a delay with the band coming on stage..

oh yes , i did get in , i was one of the lucky ones.

playboys and drug were smiths singles.

There was somebody in the queue who changed her flight to be at the gig. An American. It meant she missed the flight that went down over Lockerbie two days before! It was a chilling story to hear.

Anyone know what t-shirt Moz was wearing toward the end?
It was a PETA shirt.
Text slightly different to this, but identical otherwise:
(Please excuse potato quality jpg).

20191007_202713.jpg

Regards
FWD.

There was somebody in the queue who changed her flight to be at the gig. An American. It meant she missed the flight that went down over Lockerbie two days before! It was a chilling story to hear.
Bloody hell

I don't know how I would cope with that knowing you were meant to fall to your death from 30,000 feet.

Bloody hell

I don't know how I would cope with that knowing you were meant to fall to your death from 30,000 feet.

It was difficult to know what to say to her. She knew somebody on the flight too apparently. We stayed in touch for a while and she’d send me US releases and I’d send her UK ones. She took some brilliant photographs of the show too.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom