5 Nashville Boys Set Dog On Fire!!!!

Overwhelming Response To Fatal Burned Dog Case

July 9, 2007 06:05 PM PDT

Overwhelming Response To Fatal Burned Dog Case
20 Dogs Seized From House Filled With Filth, Garbage
Five Boys Accused Of Setting Dog On Fire

6765816_BG1.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn.- It was a crime that shocked animal control officers and spurred international reaction.

Late last month, officers charged five North Nashville boys for setting a dog on fire. The animal later died.

It was a crime that veteran animal control officers can barely talk about because it makes them so angry.

What's also disturbing is the suspects are children, ages 9-14. Now, people from all over the world want to make sure they serve the maximum punishment.

Investigators never found out if the dog had any owners or its name. The animal is known now as Jane Dog.

"It's been overwhelming," said Billy Biggs, field operations supervisor with Metro Animal Control.

Metro Animal Control has received hundreds of emails and phone calls from people all trying to give Jane Dog a voice.

"He had flames from head to toe and he was running so fast he was burning," Arthur Greer said. "He tried to lick himself when he was burning and his face caught on fire."

In late June, Metro animal control said five children in North Nashville doused kerosene on the dog's genitals and set its whole underbelly on fire.

The dog, trying to put the fire out itself, burned its whiskers and tongue. It died in what animal experts believe was a slow and painful death.

"Something's wrong somewhere for kids to do this kind of thing," Biggs said.

Now, the juvenile judge has received letters and animal control personnel have two folders worth of emails and letters.

A lot of the correspondence point out crime stats.

"Every known serial killer started out with animals," Biggs said.

"This crime is despicable. I hope you will use your judicial sense of fairness to victims and assess the maximum sentence," according to one letter.

But what's enraging to animal control officers and those who've written in is the maximum punishment is placement in Tennessee Department of Children's Services custody and not jail time or a record.

"I've seen bad things but this ranks right up there with them," Biggs said.

So although officers may not receive the justice they want for Jane Dog, they hope the immense response is at least an indication of awareness.

"I hope it will make people more aware of animal abuse," Biggs said. "It's a terrible thing, but if nobody reports it, we can't do anything about it."

Metro animal control said the children had no reaction when officers arrested them, although one snickered and laughed about the incident.

Two of the suspects are in custody while the other three are on house arrest. They'll go to court again later this month.

If these kids were adults and committed the same crime, they would face up to two years in prison.

This makes me sad :( and also :mad:

Please sign the petition to have these little devils punished....

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-leniency-for-5-youth-who-set-fire-to-a-dog

Knee-jerk witchunting nonsense. The whole point of a functioning justice system is that the defendents have a right to recieve sentencing by a judge who has heard all the evidence in the case not mob-rule, where sentences are decided by people who've read a newspaper article. Ridiculous.

Knee-jerk witchunting nonsense. The whole point of a functioning justice system is that the defendents have a right to recieve sentencing by a judge who has heard all the evidence in the case not mob-rule, where sentences are decided by people who've read a newspaper article. Ridiculous.

Yeah BUT.........the dog died in agony and these kids felt no remorse when police went to get them..... one even laughed..... I want them to pay, learn a good lesson and grow up to be good people..... if they get away with this now, in the future when they're older they wont hesitate to do worse things.

Yeah BUT.........the dog died in agony and these kids felt no remorse when police went to get them..... one even laughed..... I want them to pay, learn a good lesson and grow up to be good people..... if they get away with this now, in the future when they're older they wont hesitate to do worse things.

There will always be a 'yeah but', the principal remains the same though. Sentencing shouldn't be influenced by sensationalist newspaper articles.

Last edited:
After the whole £100 million pound spending spree of the government building the biggest mosque ever, which was a complete misguiding joke (i signed the petition like a fool) I'd rather not get involved.....

I do think this is one of the worst things i have read and it upsets me.:( :mad:

There will always be a 'yeah but', the principal remains the same though. Sentencing shouldn't be influenced by sensationalist newspaper articles.

I agree with you on principle, like here in CA Liberal Hippies marched and camped outside the prison where convicted double murderer Tookie Williams was staying.... they were trying to get him off the death penalty, it became a huge cable news event, but no matter what the court went ahead and killed the guy dispite all the celebreties and thousands of people who begged for his miserable life. He was an awful human being who killed poeple in cold blood, yet Liberals wanted him off because they claimed that he was a changed man who was doing good etc.... He deserved to get fried for what he did.

These kids should get the maximum punishment in the books that's established NOW, but I still want people to pour in the petitions so that the lawmakers can feel preasure and toughen up the sentences for these kind of vile repulsive crimes.

PS: This is not a bogus story MUM.... it's legit unfortunately. :(

I agree with you on principle, like here in CA Liberal Hippies marched and camped outside the prison where convicted double murderer Tookie Williams was staying.... they were trying to get him off the death penalty, it became a huge cable news event, but no matter what the court went ahead and killed the guy dispite all the celebreties and thousands of people who begged for his miserable life. He was an awful human being who killed poeple in cold blood, yet Liberals wanted him off because they claimed that he was a changed man who was doing good etc.... He deserved to get fried for what he did.

These kids should get the maximum punishment in the books that's established NOW, but I still want people to pour in the petitions so that the lawmakers can feel preasure and toughen up the sentences for these kind of vile repulsive crimes.

PS: This is not a bogus story MUM.... it's legit unfortunately. :(

Well the death penalty is an abomination, it doesn't take a newspaper article to show that. Longer sentences, lock em up, kill em is deeply ugly primitive thinking.

Well the death penalty is an abomination, it doesn't take a newspaper article to show that. Longer sentences, lock em up, kill em is deeply ugly primitive thinking.

I used to be anti-death penalty until recently when I tought to myself, "if someone murdered my family what would I do"... the answer was.... I'd kill that person who murdered them, with my own two hands I'd do it.... but then I would ruin my own life even more, so it wouldnt' be worth it..... so I'm in favor of these cold-hard murderers getting what they deserve....death! :cool:

I used to be anit-death penalty until recently when I tought to myself, "if someone murdered my family what would I do"... the answer was.... I'd kill tha person who murdered them, with my own two hands I'd do it.... but then I would ruin my own life even more, so it wouldnt' be worth it..... so I'm in favor of these cold-hard murdererd getting what they deserve....death! :cool:

Well i'm in favour of rationality above primitive barbarity, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

I signed the petition and i left a comment, although i really don't think anything will get done. :(

Thanx, it's worth the try though.... maybe not in this case but in future cases. I hope this reaches the national news soon. I've been reading up on the laws for these kinds of crimes and they are very loose, they need to be tightened. Animals deserve almost as much protection as children.

Totally :p
xo

I was watching some old episodes of Bill Maher the other day and one thing Richard Dreyfuss said really struck a chord. He argued that modern enlightenment democracies are such a small speck of light in the mass of human existence and are liable to be swept away by primal instinct. Really depressing. Confirmed time and time again on here also.

Though on a lighter note, who am I going to flirt with now D Licious is gone :eek:

Thanx, it's worth the try though.... maybe not in this case but in future cases. I hope this reaches the national news soon. I've been reading up on the laws for these kinds of crimes and they are very loose, they need to be tightened. Animals deserve almost as much protection as children.

Your welcome...

I was watching some old episodes of Bill Maher the other day and one thing Richard Dreyfuss said really struck a chord. He argued that modern enlightenment democracies are such a small speck of light in the mass of human existence and are liable to be swept away by primal instinct. Really depressing. Confirmed time and time again on here also.

Though on a lighter note, who am I going to flirt with now D Licious is gone :eek:

Dann....;)

I don't agree with the death penalty either, and living in England I am thankful we no longer have it. However, I do think jail sentences for criminals could and should be much longer than they are now (espec. in Britain), and some people commit crimes so atrocious that they do need to be locked away from society until they die. I don't think every criminal can be reformed.

I don't agree with the death penalty either, and living in England I am thankful we no longer have it. However, I do think jail sentences for criminals could and should be much longer than they are now (espec. in Britain), and some people commit crimes so atrocious that they do need to be locked away from society until they die. I don't think every criminal can be reformed.

Hear, hear....it worked for Brady and Hindley.....they never got the chance to hurt anyone else

We already imprison far, far too many people in this country thanks to knee-jerk tabloid hysteria. There are very few people who are 'beyond reform' psychopaths, sociopaths etc, far fewer than you'd guess from the newspapers.

We already imprison far, far too many people in this country thanks to knee-jerk tabloid hysteria. There are very few people who are 'beyond reform' psychopaths, sociopaths etc, far fewer than you'd guess from the newspapers.

The fact that the prisons are full does not dilute the severity of the crimes.
Very few people may be beyond reform, but there are also very few people behind bars willing to reform.

Back
Top Bottom