"6 songs that make people cry and the reasons why" includes "There Is A Light..." - BBC

Oh, most of these comments as per are beyond YAWN. Anybody from a broken home struggles with breakups. That is why we seek long lasting love, the secure couldn't give a hoot. I fell in love with a Spaceman. It's sent me huts.

It could EASILY be about the breakup of his family via divorce. It doesn't take much imagination to see that. He starts out hating the memories and ends up wishing he could be back in time when his family life was safe and warm but he knows that can never happen.

It was exactly this for me. Nothing is more difficult as a child to have your parents split up. His music has helped me recognize and deal with my most inner feelings through his remarkable ability to express his own. What a gift he has given us. We small few who get it. We lucky few.

I love Asleep and particularly this clip because it is obviously so hard for him to sing it :(

He looks incredibly fragile singing this song, he is almost close to tears. What made him so incredibly emotional? What something happening in his personal live at that time? Jeez I want to hold him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, most of these comments as per are beyond YAWN. Anybody from a broken home struggles with breakups. That is why we seek long lasting love, the secure couldn't give a hoot. I fell in love with a Spaceman. It's sent me huts.

Ironically, most children from broken homes end up divorced as adults.

No. I am a child of divorce. The song spoke to me deeply. Not everything in this world requires literal translation. No kids..no grndr you a**. Why must you try to ruin all that is beautiful? How sad.

My literal translation shouldn't affect your attachments to the song, and I was making a joke. I read your post as an analysis of the lyrics. My parents divorced, too. I don't have kids or a grindr account, either. But my joke was that the guy that was riding by on the bicycle might have been as huma as Morrissey, and that it would be ironic if Morrissey is still thinking about him and could have done something about it. I didn't intend to be mean. I don't think I'm responsible for ruining anything though. If you had written, "to me it means" or but you wrote as if you were analyzing the song and not about how one part of the song reminds you of your childhood. Maybe you should switch to "Our House" and cheer up.

It could EASILY be about the breakup of his family via divorce. It doesn't take much imagination to see that. He starts out hating the memories and ends up wishing he could be back in time when his family life was safe and warm but he knows that can never happen.

Maybe it's about the "Trail of Tears" and he's writing from the perspective of a young Choctaw forced to leave his old home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Shaped by different life experiences, someone could hear it differently. The voice says much more than the words ever could. And the voice tells a different story to different listeners. If one is open and doesn't take the songs words literally... then one will hear whats really being said to them.

The Philosopher Queen has spoken. Yet again.

It was exactly this for me. Nothing is more difficult as a child to have your parents split up. His music has helped me recognize and deal with my most inner feelings through his remarkable ability to express his own. What a gift he has given us. We small few who get it. We lucky few.

Nobody knows what the songs are about except Morrissey, we just interpret them as we see fit. One of my favourite songs (by another artist) is Ever Fallen In love, with someone you should't have. I love the song because in my mind it describes my falling in love with another women whilst married to someone else. However I have met the writer several times and its nothing to do with anything like that, although he is impressed how the song works with the timeline to my life and feels good that it works for people in a way that he never expected.

Bit like The Bunnymen with Nothing Lasts Forever - doubt he expected it to be a big request at funerals, when he wrote it!

Crying eh ? As a big fan of Roy Orbison I used to get glazed eyes when he teamed up with K D Lang to record 'crying' . I loved listening to Roy sing this on the radio as my life moved on. I thought the song was perfected to perfection until he teamed up with Ms Lang, there are many versions on utube but I've picked this to showcase how beautiful her voice, http://youtu.be/Or-0aIHtD2Q

Benny-the-British-Butcher

The dogs bollocks ! Perfection, Love you Ms Lang ❤️

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Well, someone once sang something like "it only hurts because it's true." Nice use of reductive, though.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-26096-1326560486-1.gif

On another note, heard Madonna is back with Sean again. Those Poison Penns.

My literal translation shouldn't affect your attachments to the song, and I was making a joke. I read your post as an analysis of the lyrics. My parents divorced, too. I don't have kids or a grindr account, either. But my joke was that the guy that was riding by on the bicycle might have been as huma as Morrissey, and that it would be ironic if Morrissey is still thinking about him and could have done something about it. I didn't intend to be mean. I don't think I'm responsible for ruining anything though. If you had written, "to me it means" or but you wrote as if you were analyzing the song and not about how one part of the song reminds you of your childhood. Maybe you should switch to "Our House" and cheer up.

No worries. Thanks for clearing things up. What can we say accept he brings out the emotion in all of us.

Nobody knows what the songs are about except Morrissey, we just interpret them as we see fit. One of my favourite songs (by another artist) is Ever Fallen In love, with someone you should't have. I love the song because in my mind it describes my falling in love with another women whilst married to someone else. However I have met the writer several times and its nothing to do with anything like that, although he is impressed how the song works with the timeline to my life and feels good that it works for people in a way that he never expected.

Bit like The Bunnymen with Nothing Lasts Forever - doubt he expected it to be a big request at funerals, when he wrote it!

Yes. And this is one of his greatest gifts. His lyrics cross all sexual borders. Gay, straight, huma etc. we are left to interpret them as they relate to us. I never consider his sexuality when I listen to his music. I could care less who he loves or how he loves just how he communicates love in all its joy and pain.

Last edited:
Nothing is more difficult as a child to have your parents split up.

Getting abused by your folks tops this, I think. Parents split up all the time - there's plenty of people who had worse things happen to them as kids.

"Child" of divorce? LMAO - was't he 17 when his parents split up? Moz attempting to tug on the heartstrings with a crock o shite, as usual.

I know it's hard these days to actually use your brain and think, but I would say it's probably true that the years leading up to the divorce were difficult. I don't think blissfully happy people wake up one morning and decide to get divorced. I'm pointing out the obvious and I shouldn't need to.

It's ironic that people will argue that we can't know the meaning of anything when it comes to Morrissey, who is known as having written some of the most meaningful lyrics in pop music. If everything means anything you want it to then there's not much point in having meaning.
Now, it is also true that once any work is made public the audience will find their own meanings in it. This is totally valid. With some artists I think it's even encouraged. New Order, Nirvana, and Bob Dylan, to name three off the top of my head, all write lyrics I think are great, but which are definitely more malleable, less specific.
When you listen to "Late Night, Maudlin Street," it falls somewhere in the middle. There are some very specific lines, and some that beg interpretation and can be easily attached to the listener's specific situation.

I am not the Interpretation Police, and I regret taking the tone I did when criticizing that person's post about "Back To the Old House." You are allowed to attach a personal meaning to a work. The issue is when you claim that there is nothing in the song that actually makes a strong case for a specific meaning, which is true of that song. As another poster put it, it's about unrequited love, like a lot, maybe most, of his Smiths lyrics are.

I love Asleep and particularly this clip because it is obviously so hard for him to sing it :(

I think he was more pissed off about those yanks wailing, hollering and whistling during the entire song rather than overcome by emotion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom