"6 songs that make people cry and the reasons why" includes "There Is A Light..." - BBC

Meat is murder never fails to make me cry laughing ! Seeing that bulbous cock on stage wagging and pointing his finger and man tits at us after noshing on cheese for twenty odd years, ffs Steve ! Please stop my belly's really sore now

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Is anyone else sick to death of listening to a bunch of dads act all mawkish and sentimental in these dime-a-dozen articles/click bait pieces on The Smiths? I can't help but cringe when they wax nostalgic about how they heard "There Is a Light" and it "really spoke me as a lad in blahblahbumf***shire" and "finally made it okay for me to be in touch with my feelings". It doesn't help that they're always going on about one of the same two or three god damn songs in all of them.

I get it, The Smiths were amazing. They still are. Stop talking about them as if they're some "teen angst" band that normal (read: boring) people grow out of and then "look back on fondly". It's nauseating and insultingly reductive.

My teary song would be Back to the Old House. A child of divorce is left wanting the old family home. Never to exist again...if it ever really did. This is where he truly connects at an emotional level that no other artist has ever touched me.

I reckon Morrissey's cover of "My Insatiable One" dedicated to his old roommates Jake and Damon always brings a tear to me eye. Anonymous-

My teary song would be Back to the Old House. [...] This is where he truly connects at an emotional level that no other artist has ever touched me.

Spot on and it's a level of connecting emotionally rarely seen currently. But it would have to be the BBC version for me. Much as I admire Johnny's songwriting, those guitar chord stabs he put in some of the early songs (e.g. I Don't Owe You and This Night) aren't really my cup of tea. Plus his playing on the Beeb version is excellent.

I love Asleep and particularly this clip because it is obviously so hard for him to sing it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are talking about truly tragic songs, 'People Are the Same Everywhere' always brings me to tears.

Stop talking about them as if they're some "teen angst" band that normal (read: boring) people grow out of and then "look back on fondly". It's nauseating and insultingly reductive.

Well, someone once sang something like "it only hurts because it's true." Nice use of reductive, though.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-26096-1326560486-1.gif

How the **** is "Back to the Old House" about a child of divorce?

It's another song about Morrissey seeing the one he can't have because a strange fear gripped him and he just couldn't ask. That dude is probably still cycling by but now he's got three kids and a Grindr account.

It's another song about Morrissey seeing the one he can't have because a strange fear gripped him and he just couldn't ask. That dude is probably still cycling by but now he's got three kids and a Grindr account.

No. I am a child of divorce. The song spoke to me deeply. Not everything in this world requires literal translation. No kids..no grndr you a**. Why must you try to ruin all that is beautiful? How sad.

I love Asleep and particularly this clip because it is obviously so hard for him to sing it :(

Thank you for this. In such fine voice. Only so much deeper, rich and mature than when he was young. Kind of like the man himself now I suppose. This performance exposes all to the power of his presence. He is truly mesmerizing. It is completely hypnotic and deeply moving. Sad that one day eternal slumber comes for us all.

Last edited by a moderator:

It could EASILY be about the breakup of his family via divorce. It doesn't take much imagination to see that. He starts out hating the memories and ends up wishing he could be back in time when his family life was safe and warm but he knows that can never happen.

'Back to the Old House' is clearly about unrequited love, as is 90% of the Smiths lyrics. I can't see anything in there that even hints at the narrator's parents having divorced.

It could EASILY be about the breakup of his family via divorce. It doesn't take much imagination to see that. He starts out hating the memories and ends up wishing he could be back in time when his family life was safe and warm but he knows that can never happen.

"Child" of divorce? LMAO - was't he 17 when his parents split up? Moz attempting to tug on the heartstrings with a crock o shite, as usual.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom