struggle to track down the last of the smiths rarities for my collection

I've been searching for a little while now some of the last smiths items I need. At best I can find some of these things as 128 or 192 mp3s, but I'm kind of hoping for better quality. I've looked on the sites linked in this forum without much help.

So some questions.

Where's the best place / boot to track down the Italian early mix of How Soon Is Now? I could find some 192s, but they sound too watery and would love it in better quality since it's such an oddity.

The BBC b sides of Last Night I Dreamt... Is there a BBC bootleg that has these tracks in the same quality (or better)? I've done a needle drop of Rusholme Ruffians from my 7", but I figure with a CD single in existence, plus a bunch of BBC boots, there's gotta be a better way. is there a definitive BBC boot?

I have Same Night Again (remastered) for the Oxford show, but was That Joke Isnt Funny released as a CD single? Doesnt look like it, but just checking.

Was Shakespeares Sister from "Rarities Vol 2" ever actually sent out, and if so, is it better quality than the circulating boot? If its the same quality, that's one less thing to look for!

Same with Girl Afraid from Glasgow, on some NME cassette freebie. Is it the same quality as the circulating boot?

Finally, there's a bunch of "edit" versions out there, how different are they, other than an early fade?

For example, How Soon Is Now and Headmaster Ritual, the PhilBrown edits. Heven Knows I'm Miserable Now (longer version). Ask's single version (how is the single version even different)? Work Is A Four Letter Word edit? Stop Me (different tamborine mix)? Rubber Ring / Asleep - is it really mashed into one, or is there just no track stop?

Where's the best place / boot to track down the Italian early mix of How Soon Is Now? I could find some 192s, but they sound too watery and would love it in better quality since it's such an oddity.

It's on the Asleep bootleg, for which there's probably a torrent, if you care about such things.

The BBC b sides of Last Night I Dreamt... Is there a BBC bootleg that has these tracks in the same quality (or better)? I've done a needle drop of Rusholme Ruffians from my 7", but I figure with a CD single in existence, plus a bunch of BBC boots, there's gotta be a better way. is there a definitive BBC boot?

A kind soul here provided me with lossless versions of the B-sides, but I've sinced purchased a used copy of the single.

I have Same Night Again (remastered) for the Oxford show, but was That Joke Isnt Funny released as a CD single? Doesnt look like it, but just checking.

No. The single version is an edit of the Meat Is Murder album version. It's also on The World Won't Listen, which is obviously easier to find.

Was Shakespeares Sister from "Rarities Vol 2" ever actually sent out, and if so, is it better quality than the circulating boot? If its the same quality, that's one less thing to look for!

It was sent out, and I have a copy. It sounds pretty damn good, probably better than the boot version (haven't checked recently).

Same with Girl Afraid from Glasgow, on some NME cassette freebie. Is it the same quality as the circulating boot?

I have that cassette, but since it's so old, there's quite a bit of background hiss.

Finally, there's a bunch of "edit" versions out there, how different are they, other than an early fade?

For example, How Soon Is Now and Headmaster Ritual, the PhilBrown edits. Heven Knows I'm Miserable Now (longer version). Ask's single version (how is the single version even different)? Work Is A Four Letter Word edit? Stop Me (different tamborine mix)? Rubber Ring / Asleep - is it really mashed into one, or is there just no track stop?

Phil Brown "Headmaster" is quite a hatchet job; his "How Soon Is Now?" is a more traditional edit.

The "Heaven Knows" longer version was just leaked here within the last year. It repeats the final chorus. You probably wouldn't even notice the difference unless somebody pointed it out to you.

The "Ask" single version just fades out about 15 seconds earlier.

Same with "Work Is a 4-Letter Word". My vinyl copy is quite scratchy, which sucks.

I can't hear ANY difference in that "Stop Me" German 7" version.

Finally, "Rubber Ring" really does segue into "Asleep", but only barely--there are a couple more "You do not want to believe" lines in the fadeout, and then the wind noises pick up and lead into "Asleep". Nothing earth-shattering, but interesting.

wow, thanks for the fast detailed reply! I'm looking forward to a 7 inch reissue box for the rest of the singles which would be a nice one-stop shop.

So with Ask, according to Passionsjustlikemine, when it says Very Best of the Smiths is slightly longer, then really its still the same *mix* just fades earlier?

And a quick follow up - what's the best sounding / most complete BBC boot?

wow, thanks for the fast detailed reply! I'm looking forward to a 7 inch reissue box for the rest of the singles which would be a nice one-stop shop.

So with Ask, according to Passionsjustlikemine, when it says Very Best of the Smiths is slightly longer, then really its still the same *mix* just fades earlier?

Dunno; I don't have the Very Best collection.

And a quick follow up - what's the best sounding / most complete BBC boot?

I'm not sure there is one. We've put all of them together here, though.

Whilst listening to The Smiths on Absolute radio, never a chore,
this link is still working from this page

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=81909&highlight=italian

for HSIN if it is the one where Morrissey says ok at 6.30ish, it is taken from

smithstorrent flac to mp3, you could check if it's good enough quality for you.
Thanks to original uploader.

You should find the edits in here from the fourth gender (thanks)

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=90959

Links still valid and 320kbps.

I hope if you find something of quality in your quest, you will share them with us.

Wow George, duh, never thought to use the search function! Feel better that I'm not the only one obsessive enough to want to hear these edits!!!

You mean later, not earlier, right? It's the same arrangement but not quite the same mix (well it depends on how you define 'mix'). Of all the remastered versions on that album, the differences are the most apparent in "Ask".

Stephane

You mean later, not earlier, right? It's the same arrangement but not quite the same mix (well it depends on how you define 'mix'). Of all the remastered versions on that album, the differences are the most apparent in "Ask".

Stephane

right, fade later, sorry!

I define different mix when the actual mix is different - maybe vocals or a guitar is louder, maybe the left & right balance is different, added tambourine, whatever.

If it's just EQ'd differently, then that's a different mastering, not an alternate mix. Sounds like this "single" version of Ask then is just faded earlier, maybe different mastering on the Very Best Of, but not a true different mix?

right, fade later, sorry!

I define different mix when the actual mix is different - maybe vocals or a guitar is louder, maybe the left & right balance is different, added tambourine, whatever.

If it's just EQ'd differently, then that's a different mastering, not an alternate mix. Sounds like this "single" version of Ask then is just faded earlier, maybe different mastering on the Very Best Of, but not a true different mix?

There is one little difference that I noticed:

On the ablum version (The World Won't Listen), Morrissey and Kirsty stop singing "lalalalalalalala" at 2:50 while on the single version (original cd singe) they are going on until the very end of the song (3:02).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom