A brief Morrissey mention in a blog that praises Alain (July 16, 2021)

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: https://newamusements.blogspot.com/2021/07/blue-friday-seasick-yet-still-docked.html

"I seem to be developing a habit of posting about songs by He Who Shall Not Be Named, without writing about him. Here's another.

I dont think Alain Whyte gets the credit he deserves. He was Steven's chief (though not exclusive) songwriting partner and lead guitarist from 1991 to 2007, far longer than one John Maher. In that time, he was responsible for large swathes of solo career highpoints Vauxhall and I and Your Arsenal, as well as the comeback albums You Are The Quarry and Ringleader of the Tormentors.

In researching this post, I also just learnt the surprising fact that Alain has also written with Kelis, Cheryl Cole, the Black Eyed Peas, Chris Brown, will.i.am and Madonna! Who knew?

Anyway, Alain has a YouTube channel on which he features new original material, as well as one-man-and-his-guitar versions of his old boss's songs. It's definitely worth exploring, especially if you're able to separate SPM from his music. Here's one such song, beautifully played (guitarists, if you're like me you'll enjoy the left-hand being in shot throughout). Seasick, Yet Still Docked is a lament for the unloved/unloveable, and gets me every time. "Wish I knew the way to attract the one I love ... there is no way.""

I consider Boz and Alan as equals during the years they spent with Moz. Whyte may have written more tracks for Vauxhall & I, but Boorer came up with all the key tracks: Now My Heart Is Full, Speedway, The More You Ignore Me, Lifeguard Sleeping...

I consider Boz and Alan as equals during the years they spent with Moz. Whyte may have written more tracks for Vauxhall & I, but Boorer came up with all the key tracks: Now My Heart Is Full, Speedway, The More You Ignore Me, Lifeguard Sleeping...

I was thinking this as well. Vauxhall is one of his most beloved albums and all the big songs there were boz. It made him very visible to the fans

Back
Top Bottom