A heart to heart conversation with Morrissey

M

MuteWitness616

What would you choose as the topic if it was up to you?

What things make him happiest, most comfortable. For real.

!BfIYBvw!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-C4Ere9thJVUBL!FB2Y+P!~~_12.JPG

I would love to talk about the beliefs and such we have incommon, to hear his viewpoints/advice on these things. Just to sit down and have a normal conversation with the man would be a dream!

Last edited:
What things make him happiest, most comfortable. For real.

This, and I'd just like to chat like I would with anyone else, trying to make him laugh.

I also want to talk to him about zombies. :D

This, and I'd just like to chat like I would with anyone else, trying to make him laugh.

Why didn't you chat him up and make him laugh at the Cat & Fiddle? Did you get starstruck? :blushing: I might in a situation like that.

Why didn't you chat him up and make him laugh at the Cat & Fiddle? Did you get starstruck? :blushing: I might in a situation like that.

I wish I could have. I was an idiot and I stayed behind in the restaurant, afraid that someone might steal everyone else's purses, or that the restaurant might think we were dining and dashing. Finally the waitress told me I should go out there. When I got there, he was trying to extract himself, so I didn't want to pester him. It was a fair crowd.

Had I been there the whole time, I could perhaps have listened in to what other people were saying and shout out a bon mot or two. But he wasn't talking much and what he did say was quiet, and everyone else was starstruck, so even that might have been hard.

In line to be patted down at Gibson in LA, a guard was pointing to the metal detectors and telling us no cameras, etc. He then joked, "No meat!" I yelled back, "do you have meat detectors?" A bunch of people laughed, it was a nice group moment and a break from the pushing and stress of getting into a Morrissey concert.

I really do want to ask him about the emotional process of writing. Does he ever worry about hurting someone by putting something in a song. And what is that, that barrier, and how can it be lifted between caring about what others think and being honest to yourself and your work. I mean, if the work is successful, does that justify any doubts you had about 'putting it out there' or does it just solidify what was an uncomfortable situation in the first place, giving it an awkward permanence?

I really do want to ask him about the emotional process of writing. Does he ever worry about hurting someone by putting something in a song. And what is that, that barrier, and how can it be lifted between caring about what others think and being honest to yourself and your work. I mean, if the work is successful, does that justify any doubts you had about 'putting it out there' or does it just solidify what was an uncomfortable situation in the first place, giving it an awkward permanence?

That's a good one that I would second. From a more technical perspective, I'd like to know more about his actual writing process, including:

- Does he predominantly write in regimented, "sit down at a desk or comfy chair" fashion - or write things down as notes while he's out and about?
- When is the best time of day for him to write?
- How much of an editing process occurs on paper versus live or in the studio (e.g., the changes to "racial" to "partial" in IBEH)?
- What kind of atmosphere best suits him for inspiration? (tea and quiet, loud music)
- Does he set out with a theme or just write things out stream of conscious (this would be especially interesting, since he often writes the words before ever hearing the music submitted by his co-writers)?
- How much / how little does he write while on tour?
- Does he ever use anyone as a sounding board (e.g., Linder) for his lyrics before he steps into the studio?

I like writerly minutiae like that. He was seen sat on his divan and writing in a larger hardbound book in The Importance of Being Morrissey, but we have no idea if he was writing lyrics, a portion of his autobiography, or balancing the books! :)

Cheers,
Jamie

- Does he predominantly write in regimented, "sit down at a desk or comfy chair" fashion - or write things down as notes while he's out and about?
- When is the best time of day for him to write?
- How much of an editing process occurs on paper versus live or in the studio (e.g., the changes to "racial" to "partial" in IBEH)?
- What kind of atmosphere best suits him for inspiration? (tea and quiet, loud music)
- Does he set out with a theme or just write things out stream of conscious (this would be especially interesting, since he often writes the words before ever hearing the music submitted by his co-writers)?
- How much / how little does he write while on tour?
- Does he ever use anyone as a sounding board (e.g., Linder) for his lyrics before he steps into the studio?

Cheers,
Jamie
....and how, precisely, was this applied in particular to "Roy's Keen"?
;)

Only can speak about heart to heart if he could speak with himself , but this does not mean to speak alone , maybe with another person,

....and how, precisely, was this applied in particular to "Roy's Keen"?
;)

Ha! I guess the joke is that it doesn't seem likely he'll want to talk about Roy's Keen... (and/or some of those other personal questions?)

From interviews with Russell, seems like he prefers asking (and ducking) questions, rather than answering them.

Last edited:
his education,i know about all the references and interviews he has given concerning his schooling but i am just basing on what i have heard him say and his lyrics it is clear morrissey is highly literate and intelligent,i would like to know if he self taught himself or what?

Back
Top Bottom