A little help from those who know Manchester

everydayslikesunday

Hi,

We're thinking of catching the train up to Manchester for 2-3 nights purely on pleasure. Can anyone recommend a good hotel, price is irrelervent but it must be on a quiet street because I am a very light sleep and I need my beauty sleep :D

I must also order a copy of the paperback Morrissey's Manchester to tell me what sights to visit ;)

Hi,

We're thinking of catching the train up to Manchester for 2-3 nights purely on pleasure. Can anyone recommend a good hotel, price is irrelervent but it must be on a quiet street because I am a very light sleep and I need my beauty sleep :D

I must also order a copy of the paperback Morrissey's Manchester to tell me what sights to visit ;)

Hey Everyday

You can buy the new edition of Phill Gatenby's 'Morrisey's Manchester' from WH Smiths at Piccadilly Station in Manchester, alternatively, if you prefer to buy online, you can buy direct from the publishers Empire Publications. I used the book last week for a tour with a friend of mine, .... the map that is included in the book and the advice on public transport was a great help for getting around.

I'd highly recommend the book.

As for accommodation, Laterooms have a pretty good list of hotels in Manchester for under £120 per night.

Hi,

Alright?

There are a fair few youth hostels and budget hotels lurking in and around Manchester.

Sights? Depends on what you're looking for. Morrissey/Smiths wise, there's the Lads Club (obviously), Kings Road (where Morrissey was brought up

There's the Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester Town Hall, the Cathedral, Manchester Art gallery, the Printworks, the Lowry, Afflecks Palace (which has a mosaic of Manchester artists including Morrissey).

Dunno' if this helped. Everything that is Morrissey's Smiths era in Manchester is linked to him, so in my opinion, if you're looking for those types of influences just head in their direction. :)

Just book yourself into one of the city centre hotels and wear yourself out during the day. I tend to find that it's the noise of fellow guests slammng doors that interupts sleep, rather than any noice from outside.

Living in Manchester I have no call for hotel rooms here, so cannot comment really? However I'd consider the City Inn as it's close to the train station, so checking in should be a doddle!

Alright?

There are a fair few youth hostels and budget hotels lurking in and around Manchester.

Sights? Depends on what you're looking for. Morrissey/Smiths wise, there's the Lads Club (obviously), Kings Road (where Morrissey was brought up

There's the Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester Town Hall, the Cathedral, Manchester Art gallery, the Printworks, the Lowry, Afflecks Palace (which has a mosaic of Manchester artists including Morrissey).

The mosaic from Afflecs Palace has been moved. They were taken down two years ago and are currently in storage somewhere! (don't know where though:blushing:)

It's great to have a local's knowledge on all these places (cheers Vaca Peluda:thumb:) - there's so much to see!

Manchester is a place of great radical political as well as musical history. Marx did his reading for Das Capital in a wee scholastic library there:eek:, Engels's dad owned a merchant shop in the city centre. Manchester supported the American civil war and there's a plaque from Lincoln to say 'cheers for your' support somewhere in the town:cool:.

Manchester is almost as interesting a city to visit as Glasgow!!:squiffy:

Last edited:
Hi,

If you're a light sleeper, avoid the hotels around Canal Street and Oxford Road (with the exception of the Palace Hotel which is beautiful and does great cocktails :p). There are a couple near the MEN arena which could be a good bet- great city centre location but not too close to clubs/bars.

Of course, you could splash out and stay at the Hilton!

By the way, if you like curry I cannot recommend strongly enough a place called Akbars. Forget the curry mile; this is the best curry in the city. Liverpool Road opposite the Museum of Science and Industry and a stone's throw from Granada Studios. ;)

this is a greatd thread where its neatly describes with all the placesa dn how to go there
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=100696&highlight=manchester
there was another thread also but i cant seem to find it anymore

sleeping i wouldnt sleep at hatters (hostel) as there is a traffic light at the side of the hostel rooms which beeps everytime its green . i only could sleep with paperrolls in my air -also its a lively street, not really a party street but lots of animated people walk by there on the way to it
beside the noise it was a great hostel though,very helpful and free breakfast and you get used to it and after a while dont notice it as stringly
and they advertise jukebox jury`s tour there

Avoid any hotels that advertise for hen parties on the weekends. I stayed in the very quiet Castlefield area, right down the block from the Museum of Science & Industry, and I was woken up at 2am by a bunch of girls screaming and banging on doors all night long. :mad:

It's hard to avoid some noise in most hotels. The best invention is the door latch that closes gently, but I've only seen that in top hotels (Intercontinental). I just rely on earplugs which do the job most of the time.

If price is irrelevant - stay at the Radisson - Free Trade Hall on Peter Street http://www.radissonedwardian.com/manchesteruk_edwardian

The Smiths played there in 1984 - it's now a swanky hotel - I've only ever been in the bar. It's round the corner from G-mex - so you can kill two birds with one stone (Smiths and Moz played there).

If you are lucky and in town on the right dates you could get a guided tour from Phill Gatenby (aka JukeBox Jury) as he sets off from the library (just opposite the hotel). Email him to see if he's guiding around the time you are in town [email protected] :thumb: He might even sign your book :guitar:

Hope you have a good time.

Dave

If price is irrelevant - stay at the Radisson - Free Trade Hall on Peter Street http://www.radissonedwardian.com/manchesteruk_edwardian

The Smiths played there in 1984 - it's now a swanky hotel - I've only ever been in the bar. It's round the corner from G-mex - so you can kill two birds with one stone (Smiths and Moz played there).

If you are lucky and in town on the right dates you could get a guided tour from Phill Gatenby (aka JukeBox Jury) as he sets off from the library (just opposite the hotel). Email him to see if he's guiding around the time you are in town [email protected] :thumb: He might even sign your book :guitar:

Hope you have a good time.

Dave

Dave, The Smiths also played the Free Trade Hall in 1986, their penultimate gig (and final gig with Craig Gannon) :thumb:

Thanks to all of you who replied, especially nightingale+therose for the link to the publishing company, I got the book cheaper than the price on Amazon :D Thanks also to Dave2006 for Phil's e-mail address, an 'official' tour would be cool :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom