A short story inspired by the "Paint a vulgar picture short stories collection"

georgejallen

Hi all,

I chose to write a short story for my English Language A-level which is an 'imaginary addition' to the collection of short stories edited by Peter Wild ("Paint A Vulgar Picture: Fiction inspired by The Smiths").

I wanted to share it on here, where there are so many like-minded individuals, but I don't know where the best forum is to place it. Before I put it on here, could one of the moderators please direct me?

For the record, it's based on "What She Said". :)

George.

F*ck you! :D

Never mind, I suppose I must be in the right section. I've attached it here, and I hope someone likes it :)

Thanks for sharing, Georgejallen.

I didn't study English language A level, 'cause the teacher was notorious for sending the class to sleep with his droning on and on.......

Written like you enjoyed the challenge, I liked it.

I sold that book ages ago, if you changed the title of the stories then we'd have no idea how it relates to the songs or The Smiths, even with the titles of the stories I still don't understand what connection it really has with The Smiths in general :confused:

Thank you dunya :)

DAVIE, I completely understand what you mean. Some of the stories do have very tenuous links, but the underlying themes of each story connect to the theme of the song chosen. For example, I have tried to emulate the themes of "What She Said" (and by extension, "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept") into my story.

I'm glad I didn't offend, it just baffled me about the book and the poems! I'm not "bad mouthing" your poem at all, it's great work! Just that it would be better classed in a different topic rather than just as a Smith poem...I understand what you mean though!

Good good - any way in which forum arguments can be avoided is best taken, I think! :D

I read that Johnny Marr and Morrissey agreed on the difference between depression and melancholy, saying that depressing is totally "useless" but that melancholy drives a lot of brilliant creativity. (I think that) Marr said melancholy was the kind of feeling you have when your head presses against the window of a rattling bus, as the rain patters against the window.

Perhaps that's the theme of this story, the boundary between melancholy and depression - there's a lot of that in "What She Said" :)

I sing The Smiths and What She Said/Rubber Ring from Rank is one of my favs!

Is that What She Said/Rubber Ring mix available on Rank? I know they did it live a few times...

Oooh, bloody Nora, I want it now :)

I thought you'd already have it! Come on you got a poem in a Smiths book! Grab the live album :lbf:

Tags
fiction peter wild short story what she said
Back
Top Bottom