Alain Whyte: Billy Budd - Safe At Home Sessions (June 12, 2020)

Alain Whyte plays Billy Budd.

Not been a massive fan of all these acoustic versions but this one is great. Alain changes the words to 'now it's 16 years on'. Maybe this means the last time he played with Morrissey?

20200612_233100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It could just be Morrissey overreacting to them talking about all the usual opportunities that come with being successful & it led to tensions that made them leave.

Found this in an old Spin interview.

View attachment 58311

View attachment 58312

Very few performers want to live in a vat.

It's also possible industry people whispered to them - you write such upbeat tunes, if you weren't tied to a feel-bad lyricist you might have worldwide number one hits. And that can turn heads.

Well, like I said, there might have been a grain of truth in it (for JM anyway) but Alain was never likely to be 'poached'. I just find it a hard sell.

The book mention makes me wonder if Alain thought Moz was 'finished' during the wilderness period. Strange thought to have, particularly when half the reason Moz held out was because labels were telling him to drop his band and he wouldn't do it. He was always signed in spite of his musicians, not as a result of them.

Well, like I said, there might have been a grain of truth in it (for JM anyway) but Alain was never likely to be 'poached'. I just find it a hard sell.

The book mention makes me wonder if Alain thought Moz was 'finished' during the wilderness period. Strange thought to have, particularly when half the reason Moz held out was because labels were telling him to drop his band and he wouldn't do it. He was always signed in spite of his musicians, not as a result of them.

Maybe Alain did think they were finished - that would tie in with his post about them not being allowed to be part of the Brit Pop scene.

Maybe Alain did think they were finished - that would tie in with his post about them not being allowed to be part of the Brit Pop scene.
He was talking about 1991/1992 in that post though, when they just got started. By Morrissey's wilderness years Britpop was pretty much over and they should have been glad they were never a part of it.

And if he thought they were finished, why did he "quit" just after/during the big comeback?

He was talking about 1991/1992 in that post though, when they just got started. By Morrissey's wilderness years Britpop was pretty much over and they should have been glad they were never a part of it.

And if he thought they were finished, why did he "quit" just after/during the big comeback?

Is it possible that Alain got ill, was replaced by Jesse & Moz didn't want to let Jesse go & was angling to have Alain as a songwriter but not always in the band & the angling was upsetting so Alain quit?

Is it possible that Alain got ill, was replaced by Jesse & Moz didn't want to let Jesse go & was angling to have Alain as a songwriter but not always in the band & the angling was upsetting so Alain quit?
I do think he got ill. He had been having back issues for a while but I think the reason he dropped out in the middle of the tour was more of a mental thing (speculation obviously).

I believe it has been established that Alain not playing on Refusal wasn't his own choice. So I suppose that's the main reason he eventually wouldn't continue to write for Morrissey.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom