Alain Whyte: Billy Budd - Safe At Home Sessions (June 12, 2020)

Alain Whyte plays Billy Budd.

Not been a massive fan of all these acoustic versions but this one is great. Alain changes the words to 'now it's 16 years on'. Maybe this means the last time he played with Morrissey?

20200612_233100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Yep.

I’ve spoke to Mike for a long time. Never, never, did he have anything bad to say about Morrissey. I accept that might be meaningless.

Oh yes, he says all the right things to keep one foot in the door.

:cool:

Oh yes, he says all the right things to keep one foot in the door.

Yep. Possibly. But he was speaking about Morrissey as an artist. That’s where we were both happy to keep it. He seemed genuine. Honest.

We spoke for about an hour.

Yep. Possibly. But he was speaking about Morrissey as an artist. That’s where we were both happy to keep it. He seemed genuine. Honest.

We spoke for about an hour.

Yep. I believe you.

Mike one foot in the door Joyce.

Listen I am not in charge of these men. Im giving you airheads FREE advice. Do know how many people want my advice? Do you?
After an hour of running my thighs chaff. What does Clapton say? It happens even if I run to Layla. And just the piano bit. Please help.

I'd be there to see Morrissey, so I don't really mind.

I'd be surprised if he forgave that crack on Twitter though - he was kicked when he was down, not something he'd forget in a hurry.

I am grateful to see this discussion continuing.

But would like to repeat that what got me MOST in your original post Hovis Lesley was this:

In a nutshell, a reunion would give Morrissey a lightning quick way of transcending the cancel culture. And given his love of the limelight and settling scores, there might soon be a need for that.

As I said before, I found myself thinking similar things, but couldn't express them as well as you did here.

I do wonder if anyone else thinks this factor - the fact that it would be hard for cancel culture to cancel THE SMITHS - just might make things different for Morrissey now, as opposed to 2008 when he didn't follow Marr up.

But would like to repeat that what got me MOST in your original post Hovis Lesley was this:

As I said before, I found myself thinking similar things, but couldn't express them as well as you did here.

I do wonder if anyone else thinks this factor - the fact that it would be hard for cancel culture to cancel THE SMITHS - just might make things different for Morrissey now, as opposed to 2008 when he didn't follow Marr up.

It's not going to happen. Not only will Marr never do it, Andy hates Moz too and regrets playing with him after the Smiths.

These things take time...in fact so much time that it will never happen. I hope it doesn't personally as I would hate for anything Smiths-related to get tarnished. Leave it where it is...in the annals of perfect music history.

Indeed.
What we're seeing is the 'public image' of AW...which, as we know, isn't necessarily the real or truthful version, although some will undoubtedly get fooled.
I would love to know the answer to this: ‘I know who is planning your downfall. It is not me.’

And what we see in Autobiog is Morrissey's version of history, which *we know* from basic observation and being awake between 1983-2013, isn't real, truthful, or complete. Undoubtedly some people are still fooled that Moz is always one on the right side of history and is a genius beseiged on all sides by saboteurs.

I'd be surprised if he forgave that crack on Twitter though - he was kicked when he was down, not something he'd forget in a hurry.

It wasn't a hard dig, they've forgiven each other much worse than that.

I'm intrigued by these theories about Alain supposedly trying to 'grab the crown'. I find it implausible, verging on delusional, for a guitarist to start vying for power after 10+ years and demand permission to write a book and have his face on the albums. He had side projects at the time and they certainly never set the charts on fire, so it would have been silly to hope that he might be a breakout star. I'm also suspicious because that narrative (entitled guitarist wants a slice of fame and fortune) is the same thing Morrissey said when Johnny left - and if there was a (tiny) grain of truth in it, it still glosses over about 487 other reasons that they had.

It wasn't a hard dig, they've forgiven each other much worse than that.

I'm intrigued by these theories about Alain supposedly trying to 'grab the crown'. I find it implausible, verging on delusional, for a guitarist to start vying for power after 10+ years and demand permission to write a book and have his face on the albums. He had side projects at the time and they certainly never set the charts on fire, so it would have been silly to hope that he might be a breakout star. I'm also suspicious because that narrative (entitled guitarist wants a slice of fame and fortune) is the same thing Morrissey said when Johnny left - and if there was a (tiny) grain of truth in it, it still glosses over about 487 other reasons that they had.

It could just be Morrissey overreacting to them talking about all the usual opportunities that come with being successful & it led to tensions that made them leave.

Found this in an old Spin interview.

unit - Copy.JPG

vat - Copy.JPG

Very few performers want to live in a vat.

It's also possible industry people whispered to them - you write such upbeat tunes, if you weren't tied to a feel-bad lyricist you might have worldwide number one hits. And that can turn heads.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom