Alain Whyte: Maladjusted listening party via Twitter - 8pm UK time May 17, 2020

Surely, Strummer was taking the piss when he mentioned 'Pop Music' by M. is a suitable cover for Morrissey? It's way too modern and too rubbish for Morrissey.

JR: Whew. That would have put them off. I never liked that song.
Joe: I wanted to poke them with a stick. You see what I mean? Because the idea of trying to redo Cant ExplainI couldnt see the point of it. And I threw that in to see what theyd say, and Morrissey threw it right out! He just freaked out and left the venue.

So, who actually wrote ‘Trouble loves me’ ?

:paranoid:

Supposedly M took some lines from a French poet.

f*** off papa jack....f*** off back.would love to have heard that.always learn something new when alain does these.

"f*** off back"? Can't imagine Morrissey trying to get one of his backing musicians to do a Racism onto one of his records.

Oh wait. Yes I can.

"f*** off back"? Can't imagine Morrissey trying to get one of his backing musicians to do a Racism onto one of his records.

Oh wait. Yes I can.

On Papa Jack. A song about a singer. That Alain thinks was Moz was writing about himself. It would be back to Manchester. Or back stage. ?

On Papa Jack. A song about a singer. That Alain thinks was Moz was writing about himself. It would be back to Manchester. Or back stage. ?
Or back to the past. As going back in time/not being able to is the whole theme of the song.

calm down karen

Not the greatest album ever made but decent enough. I've always loved Ammunition while Ambitious Outsiders is my least favourite song of all his solo work, in fact I despise it.

I'd love to know why Morrissey decided to bin Papa Jack and Roy's Keen from the reissues.

Not the greatest album ever made but decent enough. I've always loved Ammunition while Ambitious Outsiders is my least favourite song of all his solo work, in fact I despise it.

I'd love to know why Morrissey decided to bin Papa Jack and Roy's Keen from the reissues.

Too close to the bone for the former?? Was made to feel embarrassed about the low humour in the latter??

Regarding Roy's Keen he said in 2008:
"Over a 25-year recording stretch there’s bound to be a few stinkers. There are a few older songs that confuse me – I have no idea what I was thinking. 'Roy’s Keen' for example."

A shame since I unironically love that song and find the lyrics very clever.

These listening parties with Alain are really interesting. Thanks FWD for putting them here in an easy-to-digest format!
Thanks Larry.
Twitter's reading 'upwards' drives me a bit potty. The caps aren't 100% chronological, but are close.

The Roy's Keen bit is interesting as (waiting for the archive to trip me up), I don't believe it was ever linked to a preexisting Alain song with lyrics (assuming Sunday's Disappeared wasn't an instrumental about corner shop's Sunday trading times!?).
I wish some of the band would do these for current work.
Lyn & Boz have mentioned playing live, but I doubt we'll gleam anything like the bits Alain is sharing.
Regards,
FWD.

Thanks Larry.
Twitter's reading 'upwards' drives me a bit potty. The caps aren't 100% chronological, but are close.

The Roy's Keen bit is interesting as (waiting for the archive to trip me up), I don't believe it was ever linked to a preexisting Alain song with lyrics (assuming Sunday's Disappeared wasn't an instrumental about corner shop's Sunday trading times!?).
I wish some of the band would do these for current work.
Lyn & Boz have mentioned playing live, but I doubt we'll gleam anything like the bits Alain is sharing.
Regards,
FWD.

*glean

HOLI CANOLI?

AlainT is giving :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
a run for his money for the most annoying Moz sidekick. Its Moz songs Moz tweets Moz FB Moz videos WTF??
All these lawnmowers should try to find employment FFS?‍♀️

Ya gotta hand it to Alain.
He got the poet part right.

Heavy. :thumb:

Thanks for hunting this. Though I’m still not satisfied.

‘Otherwise kill me.’

Maybe a coincidence? Though I wouldn’t be surprised if M knew and liked this poem. But I can’t imagine someone would go through the trouble
to accuse M of lifting some lines from a poem, when it is just these three words.

We may have to file this one under ‘mystery’. Along with.... Who is the girl least likely to? For M stated it is a person he knows.

:unsure::confused::unsure::confused:

‘Otherwise kill me.’

Maybe a coincidence? Though I wouldn’t be surprised if M knew and liked this poem. But I can’t imagine someone would go through the trouble
to accuse M of lifting some lines from a poem, when it is just these three words.

We may have to file this one under ‘mystery’. Along with.... Who is the girl least likely to? For M stated it is a person he knows.

Bit of a wild theory but I feel like Girl Least Likely To could be about himself pre-Smiths. I'm familiar with his statements regarding this song but who knows if that 'friend's really existed or not.
I also recall at least one interview where he referred to himself as "the boy least likely to":

"Once you feel it and other people feel it, too, you stand and are authorised as a poet. I was the boy least likely to, in many ways. I was staunchly antisocial. It was a question of being a poet at the expense of being anything else, and that includes physical relationships, strong bonds with people. I think you discover you are a poet; someone doesn’t walk up to you, tap you on the shoulder and say, 'Excuse me, you are a poet.'"

‘Otherwise kill me.’

Louis MacNiece was a Irish poet livin' in London.
There's a reference in a book called Morrissey : The Pageant Of His Bleedin' Heart.
The lines Moz maybe used were "console me, O please fulfill me, otherwise kill me".
Maybe we better ask the cockney therapist to be sure. :D

Here's a bonus for ya Ketamine.
It's Sinead Morrissey readin' some Louis MacNiece poems.

Last edited:
Louis MacNiece was a Irish poet livin' in London.
There's a reference in a book called Morrissey : The Pageant Of His Bleedin' Heart.
The lines Moz maybe used were "console me, O please fulfill me, otherwise kill me".
Maybe we better ask the cockney therapist to be sure. :D

Here's a bonus for ya Ketamine.
It's Sinead Morrissey readin' some Louis MacNiece poems.

Very well could be. Thanks :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom