Alain Whyte: "Tell Me" teaser video & lineup/tour update (August 2, 2020)

20200803_002001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it OK, but what frustrates me about it is I don't know which guitar is Johnny's. I much prefer earlier bootlegs where I can marvel at what Marr is doing, not be playing a guessing game of is it him or not. I'm a Smiths fan because I love Morrissey's vocals and lyrics and I love Marr's guitar playing.
To me it made sense to have a second guitarist, what with The Smith's pursuing an ever 'rockier' sound. Bearing in mind that most studio tracks had multiple layered guitars, it was always going to be harder and harder to recreate the studio sound on stage.
It's interesting to compare 'Rank' (recorded Oct 23 1986, with Gannon) to the final concert in Brixton a month and a half later, by which time Gannon had left. In the latter gig the band sounds comparatively thin compared to the Rank concert, particularly on songs like 'The Boy With the Thorn in His Side' where the lack of a second guitar is noticeable.

I guess it depends what you value. I don't really care about "thin." I may be a nerd but my ideal would be that I could hear Marr's guitar perfectly and kind of fixate on what he's doing and how it bounces off Morrissey's vocals. I'm like this with all the bands I'm a fan of, I always prefer hard separation of the instruments so that I could make out what each band member is doing. A band I like released an album recently that was very lush sounding with lots of layers and reverb but it bothered me because I'm like "what's one of the most brilliant guitarists of all time even doing on this? I can't hear anything!" It was all kind of a big mush.

To me it made sense to have a second guitarist, what with The Smith's pursuing an ever 'rockier' sound. Bearing in mind that most studio tracks had multiple layered guitars, it was always going to be harder and harder to recreate the studio sound on stage.
It's interesting to compare 'Rank' (recorded Oct 23 1986, with Gannon) to the final concert in Brixton a month and a half later, by which time Gannon had left. In the latter gig the band sounds comparatively thin compared to the Rank concert, particularly on songs like 'The Boy With the Thorn in His Side' where the lack of a second guitar is noticeable.

Yes, very much agree with this. Gannon definitely added layers to the live sound and allowed Johnny more freedom to play around over the top. (And smoke fags.) But then again, that final concert in Dec 1986 felt so special, just seeing the four of them back on stage with no Gannon, and it sounded more old-school. (Obviously we had no idea then it was the final show and it seems bizarre now, with the passing of time, to think that something in late 1986 could feel "old-school" when the band was still so young, relatively!)

Teaser for the upcoming video thing. Spencer tinkling his ivories? Dave Vanian on the fiddle?
And CG sporting a cherry-red Gibson 355... :tears:

Alain Whyte zoom band.jpg

Snooped from twitter ~

There are 9 of these vids with Craig, which I've watched this morning. Not sure if this is the right place to drop them (maybe @Famous when dead can decide), but well worth viewing if you haven't already. In them he talks about joining The Smiths, leaving The Smiths, relationships with Marr, etc. In this one (9) one of the things he clarifies is why he didn't continue writing with Morrissey.

Clearly filmed in a hotel, but no trashing that I could see, so maybe he's grown out of that now ;)

Google page & links

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 9 of these vids with Craig, which I've watched this morning. Not sure if this is the right place to drop them (maybe @Famous when dead can decide), but well worth viewing if you haven't already. In them he talks about joining The Smiths, leaving The Smiths, relationships with Marr, etc. In this one (9) one of the things he clarifies is why he didn't continue writing with Morrissey.

Clearly filmed in a hotel, but no trashing that I could see, but maybe he's grown out of that now ;)

Google page & links

Those are some admirable eyebrows :brows:

:rolleyes:

🤒

"The latter gig"

Not the former but the latter. Simplicius Simpleton this one😒

I think this could be great. It certainly took me by surprise to see Craig involved with Alain but I like Craig's work a lot, his writing and playing with Terry Hall was fantastic, Forever J is one of my favourite songs ever.

🤒

he fing clarifies why he didnt continue writing with Moz??:lbf:
Moz kicked him out due to incompetence?:lbf:

who are these lawnmower cucks? The way they talk youd think they were Elton John not hapless unemployed twats:blushing:

Teaser for the upcoming video thing. Spencer tinkling his ivories? Dave Vanian on the fiddle?
And CG sporting a cherry-red Gibson 355... :tears:

View attachment 58219

Snooped from twitter ~

How does Craig manage to still look like baby Craig in this shot and where do I get some of the stuff Gary seems to be on?

í think Morrissey should sue for custody of Craig's eyebrows. Or else, take a restraining order out on them...

You're not wrong. It's like they sat around one night laughing over a few jars and someone said, 'Who could we get that would really piss him off?' Maybe Johnny wasn't available.
I don't actually believe that their primary goal was to annoy Morrissey. It's just odd. Odd but entertaining nonetheless.

That being said, I'm considering putting some money on Johnny entering the stage for a sing-along-encore of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out when The Lads & Eyebrows make an appearance in Manchester.

Last edited:
í think Morrissey should sue for custody of Craig's eyebrows. Or else, take a restraining order out on them...

I thought he lost that custody case already? Isn't that what the legal battle with Gannon was about?

I don't actually believe that their primary goal was to annoy Morrissey. It's just odd. Odd but entertaining nonetheless.

That being said, I'm considering putting some money on Johnny entering the stage for a sing-along-encore of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out when The Lads & Eyebrows make an appearance in Manchester.
I wasn't being entirely serious. But yes, nice thought.

I think this could be great. It certainly took me by surprise to see Craig involved with Alain but I like Craig's work a lot, his writing and playing with Terry Hall was fantastic, Forever J is one of my favourite songs ever.

Wasn't keen on the Specials but really like his solo work.

i agree Craig’s addition has me curious

There's some footage of Craig playing Sense live with Terry on Jools Holland. Interesting line up Terry pulled together, Craig, Les Pattinson from The Bunnymen and Chris Sharrock from Icicle Works/Lightning Seeds back then and more latterly Oasis and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

Last edited:
Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom