Alan Sillitoe (author Sat Night, Sun Morn) dies aged 82

nightingale+therose

...brush me daddy-o
... the ghost of Ghostie posts...

Alan Sillitoe dies aged 82.

Author of kitchen sink dramas Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner dies in hospital.
Alan-Sillitoe-006.jpg

The Nottingham-born writer, whose novels marked him out as one of the Angry Young Men of British fiction who emerged in the 1950s, died at Charing Cross hospital in London.

His son, David, said he hoped his father would be remembered for his contribution to literature.

Sillitoe is also survived by his wife, the poet Ruth Fainlight, and a daughter, Susan.

Sillitoe left school at 14 and worked in a bicycle factory in his native Nottingham before serving in the RAF.

His breakthrough came with the publication of the novel Saturday Night and Sunday Morning in 1958.

It was made into a film, starring Albert Finney, as was his next novel The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner, which featured Tom Courtenay in the lead role.

Both are seen as classic examples of kitchen sink dramas reflecting the reality of life in Britain at the mid-point of the 20th century.

Sillitoe also published several volumes of poetry, children's books and plays.

Article from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/apr/25/alan-sillitoe-writer-dies

I'm having two of his novels before me and an anthology, the man was a genius!

I'm baffled!

Back
Top Bottom