All these songs, all these tunes, where are they now?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
Re: Sisterama - yes, highly likely to be Poet, but left in incase it was a proto-track. With it in the 'not 100% certain' category, thought it was worth keeping in.

Re: Kill Uncle - Nevin track circa '90 with at least one version with lyrics thought to exist.
Um.. Yes please - that would be beyond great to hear.
Regards,
FWD.

When it came to unpublished material, Morrissey always seemed rather hesitant in my eyes. I felt that he would always give something out when the record company was planning reissues. So he contacted Stephen Street about the two early Viva Hate demos, which were then used as B-sides. Much of the last years is also from the discarded 2 CD Deluxe editions of the works 1988-1995.
It's really interesting where f.e. the source of the two Maladjusted tracks (Kit, Hard walk tall (alt)) comes from. Since there is still real material left over from the sessions 1996/97 (Nightmare, Leeches, Know who I love, Hanratty) I have the biggest hope for finds here. However, even as an obsessive fan of the early works, one has to understand if Morrissey is not happy that a piece like "It's hard to walk tall when you're small" is washed into the web in its completely unfinished state. But then he's still cool and plays this awesome rarity live in 2016.

But then he's still cool and plays this awesome rarity live in 2016.

I still think that this was one of his coolest and most peculiar moves ever.

Just scrolling through the NHS (Arsenal) stuff where track 2-13 Such an Insatiable One (live medley) appears - which turns out to be a blend of Such A Little Thing (which we all know) & My Insatiable One (which is one of the elusive tracks) (live medley).
Not sure if others have noticed.

Then, in the same NHS (Arsenal) I find there's a track called '1-01 Old 'billy Tune (unused Alain Whyte demo) - which sounds familiar...sort of, & maybe used as the basis of a more well known issued track..I guess this could be a n other missing lost, item?

Found another 2 missing items in NHS YATQ - track 20 Noise is the Best Revenge (Janice Long session), & 21 I'm Playing Easy To Get (Janice Long session).

Quite liking Mexico too which is the same file.

Just scrolling through the NHS (Arsenal) stuff where track 2-13 Such an Insatiable One (live medley) appears - which turns out to be a blend of Such A Little Thing (which we all know) & My Insatiable One (which is one of the elusive tracks) (live medley).

Then, in the same NHS (Arsenal) I find there's a track called '1-01 Old 'billy Tune (unused Alain Whyte demo) - which sounds familiar...sort of, & maybe used as the basis of a more well known issued track..I guess this could be a n other missing lost, item?
The Billy tune was a Your Arsenal era reject and sounds like a lot of those tunes.
There's a bit of debate if this was an actual Morrissey track in any way and not just from Alain's bag of tracks that gave us Not Bitter.. But Bored morphing in to Irish Blood... etc.
Regards,
FWD.

The Billy tune was a Your Arsenal era reject and sounds like a lot of those tunes.
There's a bit of debate if this was an actual Morrissey track in any way and not just from Alain's bag of tracks that gave us Not Bitter.. But Bored morphing in to Irish Blood... etc.
Regards,
FWD.

It was I that grabbed the Billy Tune. It appeared for a short while on his MySpace page. I don't get why people are saying it's a Moz reject song, I've never heard that anywhere other than here. It's just an Alain tune. I think there was about 15 to 20 in total that appeared then disappeared. Some got reused for Setting Fires, others didn't.

His cover of My Insatiable One is quite well known from bootlegs though, isn't it? I think there was at least one instance where it was played without The Such A Little thing introduction (October 17, 1992 - Costa Mesa).

Christ, the list goes on & on...& on. Thanks FWD for this & the other post on this subject.
Clearly many of these will not get bottomed out, unfortunately.
These seem to be falling into categories of:

• Cover rumour unavailable - no chance
  • Unreleased Moz track but available on the net
  • Unreleased Moz track unavailable anywhere - no chance unless some kind soul finds it in his/her garage/attic
  • Unreleased Moz track rumour unavailable - no chance
Entry count on spreadsheet, including known/available/unavailable/rumour, runs to 297 tracks. Does that sort of sound right-ish?

It's a massive body of work.

Have you got all of the below on your spreadsheet?

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Category:Morrissey_Lyrics (290 songs)

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Category:The_Smiths_Lyrics (83 songs)

It was I that grabbed the Billy Tune. It appeared for a short while on his MySpace page. I don't get why people are saying it's a Moz reject song, I've never heard that anywhere other than here. It's just an Alain tune. I think there was about 15 to 20 in total that appeared then disappeared. Some got reused for Setting Fires, others didn't.
Indeed.
I think it was shared here once in response to a request for the 'unreleased Morrissey demo' and at that point it was taken as said.
One person here stated it was a rejected Your Arsenal track - labelling the MP3 as such and as it has been shared - it has stuck. The person not crediting you on YouTube labelled it similarly and that has propagated it also.
So was just covering all the bases when presenting it earlier.
He hasn't yet come forward with the re-tracked stuff he mentioned to Corbin a while back - that would be useful to hear.
Regards,
FWD.

I'll cross check tomorrow...but on Moz tracks only (not incl. The Smiths), I'm at 297 tracks instead of your 290, so some slight discrepancy.

My focus is on tracks that are known & available plus those which are either known to exist, or rumoured to exist & not necessarily available. Obviously I can't determine the unknowns. It's purely for personal interest but been an interesting exercise all the same, thus far.

Are you the anon which provided the original link on maybe another related post? If so, thanks for helping out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll cross check tomorrow...but on Moz tracks only (not incl. The Smiths), I'm at 297 tracks instead of your 290, so some slight discrepancy.

My focus is on tracks that are known & available plus those which are either known to exist, or rumoured to exist & not necessarily available. Obviously I can't determine the unknowns. It's purely for personal interest but been an interesting exercise all the same, thus far.

Are you the anon which provided the orginal link on maybe another related post? If so, thanks for helping out.

Are you including covers? If so, only studio recordings or live recordings as well?

Are you including covers? If so, only studio recordings or live recordings as well?

Covers yes, studio ones at the mo. I'll see how things develop. It's work in progress really so I'm not necessarily ruling anything out at the mo. For example, there's allegedly a rumoured Kinks cover, don't recall the name now, but have added that as rumour/non-available. Covers from CS are on the listing.

Covers yes, studio ones at the mo. I'll see how things develop. It's work in progress really so I'm not necessarily ruling anything out at the mo. For example, there's allegedly a rumoured Kinks cover, don't recall the name now, but have added that as rumour/non-available. Covers from CS are on the listing.
I made a spreadsheet myself a while ago, it also included info on musicians on the studio recordings, live count, release info etc. I can't remember the number of songs though.

The rumoured Kinks cover was "Harry Rag" btw (as mentioned by FWD earlier in this thread).

I made a spreadsheet myself a while ago, it also included info on musicians on the studio recordings, live count, release info etc. I can't remember the number of songs though.

The rumoured Kinks cover was "Harry Rag" btw (as mentioned by FWD earlier in this thread).

Yes Harry Rag...I'm not on PC so not got it (spreadsheet) in front of me. I guess my spreadsheet isn't as developed as yours from what you say.

These things take time. :cool:

Are you the anon which provided the orginal link on maybe another related post? If so, thanks for helping out.

Yes it's me. Thanks.

There's also rumoured to be a Untitled Instrumental Demo 3 from the '94 Miravel Sessions and according to Passions Just Like Mine it's available online. I've never found it online.

Yes Harry Rag...I'm not on PC so not got it (spreadsheet) in front of me. I guess my spreadsheet isn't as developed as yours from what you say.

These things take time. :cool:

It took forever to collect all the information. I might look for my spreadsheet again, it's obviously not up to date but might still be useful. It basically collected all the info found for every song on PJLM and in Mozipedia and Songs That Saved Your Life.

Back
Top Bottom