All these songs, all these tunes, where are they now?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
Of course you can P&O. I thought this retro-zone might appeal to the likes of yourself.
Morrissey is still able to surprise me with b-side material like the Bonus-CD of WPINOYB. Complete change of style compared to the actual CD and 4 timeless, simple tunes at least. Same with the 2 "Giveways" in 2018 (still like to know from which sessions they come). If he wants to go different musical ways on his regular long players than it also has to be because of his songwriters and band members. But they all seem to be able to play classic Moz music when required.

Anyway, the stuff we are talking about here has been discussed obsessively before. The real gems will stay in their vaults till doomsday or till Morrissey will realise, they mean a helluva lot to very many people.

Yes it's me. Thanks.

There's also rumoured to be a Untitled Instrumental Demo 3 from the '94 Miravel Sessions and according to Passions Just Like Mine it's available online. I've never found it online.

There's a few untitled instrumentals in the NHS stuff.

Thing is it takes time to plough through; there's literally loads of stuff, fan edits, live stuff, demo stuff. It's great that it's been pulled together & categorised into eras.

Goes without saying, eternally grateful to FWD & Mr. Jackpots...& no doubt many others for their work.

you see,three pages and no voices were raised,why cant it always be like this.

I find myself going back to Blue Dreamers Eyes often - a 'proper' release would be great.

Re: Miraval...
The third instrumental could be what is referred to as Laughing Anne - which isn't Laughing Anne :)
Some of it gets confusing and Stephane wasn't forthcoming with sources for information - which isn't a huge criticism, but explains potential errors/repeated information on PJLM and the subsequent guesswork.
So the default is to dredge here in the archive which can take an age.
Regards,
FWD.

I find myself going back to Blue Dreamers Eyes often - a 'proper' release would be great.

The third instrumental could be what is referred to as Laughing Anne - which isn't Laughing Anne :)
Some of it gets confusing and Stephane wasn't forthcoming with sources for information - which isn't a huge criticism, but explains potential errors/repeated information on PJLM and the subsequent guesswork.
Regards,
FWD.

I'm sure Laughing Anne is in NHS...it's late so I'll look tomorrow...guess you'd know instantly, FWD?

I'm sure Laughing Anne is in NHS...it's late so I'll look tomorrow...guess you'd know instantly, FWD?

There is an instrumental track called Laughing Anne in the NHS from the Southpaw Grammar era.

Yes, Southpaw era.
https://mega.nz/#!8hczFCSB!Qn4qzsUSo5aTZJvfkKPGm0wcluml-HxHw_Whg0TALik
(I guess these static links were a good idea after all).

It's referred to as Laughing Anne, but isn't I believe - hence, probably Miraval Instrumental 3 (not definitely 3, but as in the third instrumental that leaked). Laughing Anne is also erroneously linked to You Should Have Been Nice To Me.
Regards,
FWD.

Do you think he will release official versions of:
By the Time I get to Wherever I’m Going
Blue Dreamers Eyes
No. Both are unfinished, very rough demo versions and I would guess, both tracks were not developed further on. BTTIGTWIG is similar in style with "Forgive someone", "One of our own" or "Julie in the weeds". So it is most likely from the early WPINOYB era. Don't forget that "Scandinavia" and "Art-Hounds", that appeared on the Bonus-CD, hark back to 2011 when new material after Refusal was introduced live. Imho, he and the band demoed a lot of tracks between 2011 and 2013 when looking for a new record company. And I I don't think those songs were produced by Chiccarelli. Sounds more like an early band effort, imho. BDE has a full string section (a rarity for the late Moz) and sounds like nothing else from the last 10 years. Very difficult to categorize, but it might be from the o.m. period of transition 2011-2013 too.

Last edited:
It's really very interesting that the Miraval Sessions from December 1994 in their raw state first sounded like Vauxhall. Probably also because Woodie Taylor was more nuanced than the brave Spencer Cobrin. I don't think that there are any really finished outtakes with vocals from this phase. "Honey" and "Nice to me" seem to be the only ones left. Also "Laughing Anne" sounds so typical for this phase and literally screams for vocals.

From the "Miraval a.k.a. Hook End Manor Reloaded" sessions from March 1995 onwards nothing is known. Is there? After the hastily scheduled tour and with Spencer they simply wanted to turn all the knobs to 11.

What I remember is, that Morrissey was in the studio (and not on stage) excessively during the years 89 and 90. Winstanley and Langer reported, that he was presented with dozens of song ideas in the "Bona Drag" phase, many of which were discarded. Just the fact that there are surprisingly 2 versions of the underrated "Oh Phoney" is amazing. So is "Striptease with a difference", which sounds 100% like Madness. I think there's a lot more to it than that.

Me in a Klaus Nomi voice with a hard German accent: Appearrrr Appearrrr!!!!

Last edited:
Indeed.
I think it was shared here once in response to a request for the 'unreleased Morrissey demo' and at that point it was taken as said.
One person here stated it was a rejected Your Arsenal track - labelling the MP3 as such and as it has been shared - it has stuck. The person not crediting you on YouTube labelled it similarly and that has propagated it also.
So was just covering all the bases when presenting it earlier.
He hasn't yet come forward with the re-tracked stuff he mentioned to Corbin a while back - that would be useful to hear.
Regards,
FWD.

I did find him doing a bang-up cover of That's Alright Mama though, which is excellent.

Regards,
FWD.
I once asked Alain and Boz about the third instrumental (if we're thinking about the same one, the swooping one beginning in G). I think the message was that it never had lyrics. The second instrumental, from memory, sounds like a poor X-Mal Deutschland cover. Also the one that is supposed to be Stay As You Are isn't them - I think this one has entered popular myth too - to me it sounds like a Dream Academy b-side.

It was I that grabbed the Billy Tune. It appeared for a short while on his MySpace page. I don't get why people are saying it's a Moz reject song, I've never heard that anywhere other than here. It's just an Alain tune. I think there was about 15 to 20 in total that appeared then disappeared. Some got reused for Setting Fires, others didn't.

Alain told me on MySpace 100 years ago that it was a demo he gave to Morrissey for Your Arsenal and it was turned down.

Just scrolling through the NHS (Arsenal) stuff where track 2-13 Such an Insatiable One (live medley) appears - which turns out to be a blend of Such A Little Thing (which we all know) & My Insatiable One (which is one of the elusive tracks) (live medley).
Not sure if others have noticed.

That was just a nickname I gave the medley when I first assembled the NHS from stuff I had found online or had CD-R bootlegs of or stuff Stephane had sold me via snail-mail.

I'm now at a total of 309 Morrissey solo tracks.

In cross checking this morning, & using info kindly provided in this thread by various, I've found that these (at the time of checking) don't appear in your wiki:

1 Agreeable Civil Servant - Rumour: Needs verification
2 Buddy Buried Deeply - Rumour: Needs verification
3 Cage Of Marriage - Rumour: Needs verification
4 Can't Carry One - Rumour: Needs verification
5 Harry Rag cover Kinks - Needs verification
6 I Think I'm Ready For The Electric Chair - Rumour: Needs verification
7 I’m Not Worth Hitting - Rumour: Needs verification
8 In Control Of Dame Dominance - Rumour: Needs verification
9 Me Satisfied - Rumour: Needs verification
10 My Name Is Mortimer - Rumour: Needs verification
11 No Room For Oscar - Rumour: Needs verification
12 Robin And Company - Rumour: Needs verification
13 Son Of Sin - Rumour: Needs verification
14 The Living Jukebox - Rumour: Needs verification
15 Women Don't Seem To Like Me - Rumour: Needs verification
16 The Bed Took Fire - Alternative naming of At Amber which exists under its own name so qualifies I think.

Whether these 'rumours', as I'm referring to them as, will ever be verified is another matter & might influence your decision whether to include them, or not.

"Women don't seem to like me" was a joke by Morrissey and refereing to a George Formby song, when asked after new material during his Oye Esteban tour 1999.

Also, some notes/queries/grey areas outstanding:

17 Human Being* Wiki error?: Possible duplication of Treat Me Like A Human Being (both of which are included under both categories 'H' and 'T')?
18 Livings* - same as The Longer I Live? See below - Mentioned by McCrickson
19 The Longer I Live* - same as Livings? See above
20 Sharp Bend, Fast Car, Goodbye* Wiki error: Variations on name depending on source - mentioned by FWD
21 Fast Car, Sharp Bend, Goodbye* Wiki error: Variations on name depending on source - mentioned by FWD
22 Sisterama* Could this be another track or possibly (more likely) a note written by the engineer for Sister I'm A Poet? Mentioned by Stux
23 That's Alright Mama* Not sure if recorded or performed by The Smiths or solo Morrissey - mentioned by Uncleskinny

"Women don't seem to like me" was a joke by Morrissey and refereing to a George Formby song, when asked after new material during his Oye Esteban tour

Fact, or rumour, or possible track, no chance of being a track, never was, never will be a track?
This is hard enough to filter without 'jokes' being thrown in...this is serious stuff, P&O. ;)

I'm now at a total of 309 Morrissey solo tracks.

In cross checking this morning, & using info kindly provided in this thread by various, I've found that these (at the time of checking) don't appear in your wiki:

1 Agreeable Civil Servant - Rumour: Needs verification
2 Buddy Buried Deeply - Rumour: Needs verification
3 Cage Of Marriage - Rumour: Needs verification
4 Can't Carry One - Rumour: Needs verification
5 Harry Rag cover Kinks - Needs verification
6 I Think I'm Ready For The Electric Chair - Rumour: Needs verification
7 I’m Not Worth Hitting - Rumour: Needs verification
8 In Control Of Dame Dominance - Rumour: Needs verification
9 Me Satisfied - Rumour: Needs verification
10 My Name Is Mortimer - Rumour: Needs verification
11 No Room For Oscar - Rumour: Needs verification
12 Robin And Company - Rumour: Needs verification
13 Son Of Sin - Rumour: Needs verification
14 The Living Jukebox - Rumour: Needs verification
15 Women Don't Seem To Like Me - Rumour: Needs verification
16 The Bed Took Fire - Alternative naming of At Amber which exists under its own name so qualifies I think.

Whether these 'rumours', as I'm referring to them as, will ever be verified is another matter & might influence your decision whether to include them, or not.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Unreleased

(I Think) I’m Ready For The Electric Chair and The Living Jukebox are songs by The Nosebleeds if you click on the link above and 4 other songs by The Nosebleeds are listed also.

Harry Rag is rumoured to have been done at a Soundcheck according to PJLM.

The Bed Took Fire is mentioned under At Amber as a song on Bona Drag 20.

Back
Top Bottom