Morrissey Central "An Afternoon Nostalgia" (December 30, 2020)

Sam feeling nostalgic?

It’s interesting, I wonder if he listened deeply to the music his uncle made growing up. I wonder if Morrissey’s
sister listened to her brothers music around the house? did Morrissey send her each release? Wouldn’t be surprised if that was not the case at all.

Any thoughts?
In the hardcover edition of Autobiography there's a picture of young Sammy with a lot of Morrissey stuff around him, like posters and I think he's also wearing a Moz shirt? I don't have the book ready at hand right now...

It looks like the 90s drummer Spencer Cobrin. Or, as Morrissey's more recently-acquired fanbase would put it, "(((Spencer Cobrin)))."
You really do have to wonder how some of them keep up with rambling about Jews all day. Some posting at 3/4am; can't be healthy.

Reel Big Fish's cover almost worth the price of admission for, 'And if they're No Doubt, that makes it even worse'
Reel Big Fish and No Doubt f***ING BLOW.
90s Pop-punk and 90s Ska-punk KILLED mainstream rock music.
Made it the lamest genre for the next generations.
Glossy and vacuous ultra-pop/boyband/k-pop made exclusively for 12 year old girls filled the top 40 gap.
With braindead males glomming onto Soundcloud rap and trap.
Popular music is a dead artform and it all goes back to the popularity of 90s pop-punk/ska-punk which led to nu-metal/buttrock which led to emo which led to cringe hipster folk/"indie pop".
The 90s alt-rock and 90s indie rock scene was being to flourish before f***ing Green Day/Offspring/Reel Big Fish/No Doubt/Smash Mouth/Blink 182/Sum 41/Avril Lavinge KILLED it.

In the hardcover edition of Autobiography there's a picture of young Sammy with a lot of Morrissey stuff around him, like posters and I think he's also wearing a Moz shirt? I don't have the book ready at hand right now...

:unsure:

Never saw that. I only have the softcover edition.

What other different photos did it include?

Of course the videos of Moz singing WHIWOFBS are ace, especially the Amnesty International clip which I remember watching when it was first broadcast on TV, before Your Arsenal came out. I always thought the drums on that live version were a rip off from Our Frank.
I like the Chinese live version....but the Reel Fish is just Hamerican shite.

:unsure:

Never saw that. I only have the softcover edition.

What other different photos did it include?
There's a couple of pages of colour photographs in there, which aren't included in the regular editions, all with captions by Moz. There's also a photo of his other nephew Johnny for example. I'd post pictures, but I'm not at home rn.

(I'm talking about the Penguin special edition, not the Putnam hardback.)

c7a688503fd91ddf3500bc7cd96cdc85.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe they saw it?

It's a nice thread (I think!).
Don't know if they saw it, was just trying to help born to mourn and yawn remember why they might have had the song in their head.

(I also posted a (different) video of the dance scene from Bande à part in the Claude Brasseur thread, but that's one of his most famous scenes, so that doesn't mean anything either.)

New York Dolls shirt
Ah, okay, thanks, I remember that now. Holding a Dolls CD as well, right? Morrissey posters in the background...
Baby Johnny in an Angelic Upstarts shirt, iirc.

It's been a while.

Last edited:
I won’t share the details, but I once sold a duplicate of one of my Morrissey LPs to one of the Dwyer family. I was surprised that they didn’t already own (or couldn’t otherwise get hold of) a copy.

The item was a vinyl record, so perhaps they already owned it on CD? It was a curious state of affairs, nevertheless.
Come me on Hovis... I don’t like half a yarn.😉

How many nieces and nephews does Morrissey have? I was only aware of the one: the California Son, Jr.

Sam feeling nostalgic?

It’s interesting, I wonder if he listened deeply to the music his uncle made growing up. I wonder if Morrissey’s
sister listened to her brothers music around the house? did Morrissey send her each release? Wouldn’t be surprised if that was not the case at all.

Any thoughts?
A certain someone will be along to tell you that money is God to Morrissey and would want cash for sending anything to his sister. :rolleyes:

Reel Big Fish and No Doubt f***ING BLOW.
90s Pop-punk and 90s Ska-punk KILLED mainstream rock music.
Made it the lamest genre for the next generations.
Glossy and vacuous ultra-pop/boyband/k-pop made exclusively for 12 year old girls filled the top 40 gap.
With braindead males glomming onto Soundcloud rap and trap.
Popular music is a dead artform and it all goes back to the popularity of 90s pop-punk/ska-punk which led to nu-metal/buttrock which led to emo which led to cringe hipster folk/"indie pop".
The 90s alt-rock and 90s indie rock scene was being to flourish before f***ing Green Day/Offspring/Reel Big Fish/No Doubt/Smash Mouth/Blink 182/Sum 41/Avril Lavinge KILLED it.
Hmmm, no, sorry, you don't know what you're talking about. For one thing, emo comes from before the 90s, as did plenty of "indie pop" groups. For another thing, grunge could be said to be much more to "blame" for the rise of nu-metal and buttrock, in fact you could even say it fertilised the soil for the rise of 90s pop-punk and 3rd-wave ska - their jolliness in contrast to the misery of NIN, Nirvana, Alice In Chains could maybe be compared to the rise of cheery synthpop groups as a reaction to the apathy of the punk scene a generation earlier. Without those grunge bands, we wouldn't have had post-grunge dross like Nickelback, Staind, Creed etc. But then, would that have happened the same way had Kurt Cobain not been a fan of "indie pop" groups like the Vaselines, Teenage Fanclub, heck surely even the Velvet Underground alone spawned a shedload of "hipster folk" "indie pop" Juno soundtrack bands?

You just sound like an out-of-touch fuddy-duddy moaning about the kids these days. If you can't listen to grunge, grindcore, gabber, grime, girl groups, K-pop or whatever, and appreciate them on their own merits and the function they perform, rather than whether or not it's "good" based on what you think is "good", then you're not really that into music. Simple tip, those bands and music styles existing doesn't take anything away from the kinds you DO like, but I recommend that you improve your life by looking for what's good about the things you don't understand instead of crying about it! It's all a big musical tapestry

How many nieces and nephews does Morrissey have? I was only aware of the one: the California Son, Jr.
Two nephews, his sister's sons. Sam and Johnny.

Two nephews, his sister's sons. Sam and Johnny.

Okay. Someone earlier in the thread said they had gone to school with Morrissey’s niece in the mid-1980s. Perhaps it was a girl with the same surname who was milking the association, kind of like an adolescent version of the guy who famously claimed to be Stanley Kubrick. Or the poster was just f*cking with us.

Okay. Someone earlier in the thread said they had gone to school with Morrissey’s niece in the mid-1980s. Perhaps it was a girl with the same surname who was milking the association, kind of like an adolescent version of the guy who famously claimed to be Stanley Kubrick. Or the poster was just f*cking with us.
Or it was the daughter of a cousin of his.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom