An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

It was a soundboard recording of Superman from the first show on the 1986 tour. It was taken down few hours after I shared it. Not my upload to soundcloud.

Michael Stipe doesn't know how to write a song by himself and much less how to arrange and produce it. And he can't play any instruments either, in any usable way. And, unfortunately, for that he usually relies on superficial fashionable hipsters who know even less than him and who have nothing in common with anything resembling R.E.M.. All that is fact.

Most of those scattered solo songs he's been releasing since, idk, 2018 or so are nothing less than atrocious -- I'm not even exaggerating! Go listen to "Give me a hand" or "Future if Future" and try to find anything good about that excrement! --, with the laudable exception of "No time for love like now", which just cuts above the rest, but far from being a masterwork itself.

If Stipe follows the same path he's been taking -- and I say this as a diehard long time R.E.M. fan who thinks they were the best band that ever was, no less -- his solo album is going to be just a very forgettable oddity for diehards like me, and a litteral pile of nothing to the rest of the world.

While we're at that, to be honest, a Mike Mills solo album would be just a slightly bit more well-crafted and enjoyable, but soppy and sugary and corny to the bone. Fans would be looking at each other with that "uh, so, yeah..." face. If you heard his, um, "concerto" you know what I'm talking about.

And no one took notice of Peter Buck's solo albums -- sure, they were released in very limited fashion, but the files can be found easily, if you want to listen to them. Yet, NO ONE has given a damn about that. They were awful. If you find any of that enjoyable, it says more about your tastes (weird, but I appreciate weird) than of the really bad tracks.

R.E.M. was the four personalities and talents combined, exclusively. Sure, they even made it work with just three of them for a minute (I love Up, Reveal and Accelerate to pieces). But the separated parts simply can't make it work -- and from what we have seen so far, they simply cannot make it work AT ALL, not even remotely.
I think Scott McCaughey has more talent than all the individual members of R.E.M.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom