An unanswerable question

Thanks in part to Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Saganism is now a thing.

Funny you should say that—I just noticed some Sagan graffiti on a couple of the turnstiles at the Rock Center subway station the other day. Someone has put "SAGAN IS GOD" above the card readers in black Dymo embossing tape.

On-topic, I don't worship Morrissey as a god, I deeply admire him as an artist and as a human being. I saw nothing in the original post that suggested this topic was about anything else. The derailment happening in this thread is perplexing.

Funny you should say that—I just noticed some Sagan graffiti on a couple of the turnstiles at the Rock Center subway station the other day. Someone has put "SAGAN IS GOD" above the card readers in black Dymo embossing tape.

On-topic, I don't worship Morrissey as a god, I deeply admire him as an artist and as a human being. I saw nothing in the original post that suggested this topic was about anything else. The derailment happening in this thread is perplexing.

It's typical. She does this all the time.

Yes: Carl Sagan's name evokes awe and grateful nods in quite a few circles. Thanks in part to Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Saganism is now a thing. Steven Hawking - not yet. Hunter S. Thompson - nearly so (but he was an absurdist). Mother Theresa - Christopher Hitchen's campaign may have (thankfully) helped derail that train.

:thumb:

15841715008_9b0a3e3f29_z.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You've jumped to a silly conclusion. We don't live in a binary world. His adoration of Morrissey is within the same ilk as your adoration of Christopher Hitchens. And I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I said that he was your god, your crutch.

I worship no humans and no gods.

RealityBites - 21st Oct. 2006, aged 40 or thereabouts;

"It is OK to obsess over the man as well as the message. Atheists need a charismatic spokesperson to rally the troops. :)

I don't mind Dawkins being the man. Ever since Morrissey disappointed me this summer, I've been searching for a new hero. :D

Great interview."
http://old.richarddawkins.net/users/761/comments

You yourself could drag up many more instances of her hypocrisy if you were so disposed.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

-The Truth Seeker.

You are a creepy stalker. You gonna post that in every thread?

Hello to everybody !!!!!! It's the author here !!!!!
I'm so glad that my topic has made everybody think !!!!,and a million thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply !!!,but.....is it just me or sre these posts becoming a trifle surreal ?????
All my love,
keith.

You are very transparent. We know what you had for breakfast and when you went to the restroom. Surely we are all made privy to your idols. Mother Mary being one recent admission.

Do you even know what the word worship means? You are reacting to objects. If I make an observation and use Mary as a signifier, does that mean I light candles and pray to her image with absolute veneration? You make sweeping generalizations to launch your "sound" logic which is the epitome of ignorant thought.

What you call derailment, I call looking beyond the parameters of the groupthink-tank.

Do you even know what the word worship means? You are reacting to objects. If I make an observation and use Mary as a signifier, does that mean I light candles and pray to her image with absolute veneration? You make sweeping generalizations to launch your "sound" logic which is the epitome of ignorant thought.

3.love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly.

"SAGAN IS GOD" is just so wrong on so many levels (but so it goes). :D :squiffy:

No Gods No Masters has always been a rallying cry for me. I do, however, believe in acknowledging those artists and thinkers who have moved me, and who have enriched my life. I see no harm in sharing those thoughts with a few like-minded souls.

Everything else seems like a terrible waste of time.

3.love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly.

So you have proof I worship Mary because I posted a pic of her?

"Don Quixote doubles over in laughter..."

oh god that was funny. did you ever see the doc on the failed gilliam movie. worth watching

My point was that musical artists are worshipped like gods. He wants to know why? My answer is that we must first understand why humans have a need to create gods to worship. My points are on topic, imo. Carl Sagan? Really? I guess Richard Dawkins would also qualify then. What about Steven Hawkings? Hunter S. Thompson? Mother Theresa?

Humans create an intricate, symbolic defense mechanism to combat the idea of our mortality. It's a basic duality of man problem. We have our psychical world and the human made, symbolic laced version of the world. We all live somewhere in between. We all create some sort of hero to defend against our definite reality, death. Whether it's Zeus, Ra, Jesus, Allah, Morrissey, etc. Doesn't matter. We need a hero in our life to become a part of something eternal, compared to our physical body that will one day die. This, of course, gives people the sense that we have meaning or a purpose in life.

The fun really begins when there is a clash of hero ideas. Contradictions like Christianity vs Islam, for example, indirectly suggest that others are wrong. This is when the "my hero is more sacred, more important, than yours" occurs. Which Morrissey-solo should know all about. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to everybody !!!!!! It's the author here !!!!!
I'm so glad that my topic has made everybody think !!!!,and a million thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply !!!,but.....is it just me or sre these posts becoming a trifle surreal ?????
All my love,
keith.

hey i think you may have to give up your user name. some seem to fill its bill a bit more than your usually chipper self. its a good thread though as hes endured and had a career like no one else i know. he gets the vegan cake and eats it to so to speak. i cant think of anyone whos career, yeah i know i dont ike word either, has before him. at least none i can think of. who else do you think has had a career like his

Humans create an intricate, symbolic defense mechanism to combat the idea of our mortality. It's a basic duality of man problem. We have our psychical world and the human made, symbolic laced version of the world. We all live somewhere in between. We all create some sort of hero to defend against our definite reality, death. Whether it's Zeus, Ra, Jesus, Allah, Morrissey, etc. Doesn't matter. We need a hero in our life to become a part of something eternal, compared to our physical body that will one day die. This, of course, gives people the sense that we have meaning or a purpose in life.

The fun really begins when there is a clash of hero ideas. Contradictions like Christianity vs Islam, for example, indirectly suggest that others are wrong. This is when the "my hero is more sacred, more important, than yours" occurs. Which Morrissey-solo should know all about. :thumb:

My hero needs a bath and has fleas.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :) Very plausible argument there.

which face to eat the cheese with iswhat the tribunal godheads thinking

Back
Top Bottom