Article: “Morrissey has two albums’ worth of songs ready,” says guitarist Jesse Tobias - Uncut (Jan.

Re: Article: “Morrissey has two albums’ worth of songs ready,” says guitarist Jesse Tobias - Uncut (

With the success of his autobiography, he should be getting some kind of deal. A new album (or two) would be a wonderful thing, indeed!

It makes next to no difference. The public are interested in Morrissey the controversial figure, and in the Smiths songs - they are not interested in him as a modern-day musical act. Watch how his version of Satellite of Love (released in the next week or two) fails to dent the charts.
Go to the Compare My Radio site http://comparemyradio.com/ type in Morrissey and see how many times his songs are being played. About 60 per month - its lowest ever. Two years ago he was getting double that (and there were no new songs).
Sadly, the hype surrounding Autobiography counts for nothing in terms of attracting a better album deal.

Re: Article: “Morrissey has two albums’ worth of songs ready,” says guitarist Jesse Tobias - Uncut (

Very good article in the mag, by the way, and I'm not just saying that because I'm in it. Even-handed assessment of Morrissey's career at this point.

P.

Re: "Morrissey has two albums worth of songs ready..." - Jesse Tobias

So what's he waiting for ? Oh yes silly me someone to take a punt on him and bankroll him. Why would anybody invest in a man who can't write decent song, is an awkward nasty evil shit with a massive list of broken friendships and is un-insurable health wise ?

"I'm out"

yeah yeah you said that last week, last month and last year. you'll say again next week. no f***er gives a toss get over yourself importance knobhead

Re: "Morrissey has two albums worth of songs ready" - Jesse Tobias

If his latest "releases" are anything like the material ready for albums, then things do not look good at all. Lyrically and musically, he really has lost it.

he's lost it but you and all them slags are still here spewing your endless billious shite.
if he'd lost it this place would be empty.

you'll all be queuing for more if only to give you something to whine about.

Re: "Morrissey has two albums worth of songs ready" - Jesse Tobias

But he's never stopped playing People and Action so presumably they're probably still in.
He does appear to have ditched Kid's A Looker though which is obviously a good thing.

Morrissey has always incorporated a large number of B-Sides into his live material (Sister I'm A Poet, The Loop, Jack the Ripper, Have A Go Merchant, etc.). So I don't know if this is any indicator that they haven't been cosigned to B-Side status forever, but I don't know. It's hard to tell at this point.

And honestly I don't think any of the songs are as terrible as people are making them out to be. They're just extremely unremarkable. If he was to release an album of songs like that I don't think it would be anything, but forgotten. It wouldn't be on par with the material on Viva Hate or Bona Drag, but I don't think it would be remembered as a colossal failure like Maladjusted or Kill Uncle. They're just sort of mediocre--not really terrible.

As far as Art Hounds and Scandinavia goes. Lyrically Scandinavia baffles me, but I heard it performed live at the second Terminal 5 show and it sounded quite good. Art Hounds is also undoubtedly the best of the lot and I am surprised he hasn't it played it more--at least for one of his many TV appearances. Even in The Smiths though made rather odd choices about songs to make A-Sides and promote and which ones to make B-Sides. Morrissey has just taken this to even farther lengths during his solo career.

Listen, I am one of the people that liked "That's How People Grow Up" and "All You Need Is Me" and I think they're both pretty good still so I'm not just looking to put down his work, but Scandanavia is horrible. If that's his new "Never Played Symphonies" - "Friday Mourning" song he can keep it. I hate all those. I do like "This Is Not Your Country" but "Scandanavia" is so overwrought it's jsut embarrassing.

What does he think the listening experience is about? There are records you put on when you are with friends and aren't really concentrating on the music and there are records you listen to on headphones and really listen and pay attention. I guess "Scandanavia" is supposed to be one you listen closely since it's not a party tune, not really a club banger, so then what the f*** is it about? Basically in the three or so times I've heard it I got the message that he would have wiped out Scandinavia, like he said he would China in his other China quote where he wishes nuclear doom on them, but instead he met someone who he wants to imagine what it would be like if they were his boyfriend, so he's called off the holocaust and has forgiven them for whatever crimes he previously wished to annihilate them for.

It makes next to no difference. The public are interested in Morrissey the controversial figure, and in the Smiths songs - they are not interested in him as a modern-day musical act. Watch how his version of Satellite of Love (released in the next week or two) fails to dent the charts.
Go to the Compare My Radio site http://comparemyradio.com/ type in Morrissey and see how many times his songs are being played. About 60 per month - its lowest ever. Two years ago he was getting double that (and there were no new songs).
Sadly, the hype surrounding Autobiography counts for nothing in terms of attracting a better album deal.

Oh well, forgive me for living in hope...

It's worth remembering that back in the last wilderness years without a record contract, Morrissey was playing both 'First of the Gang to Die' and 'Irish Blood, English Heart' as 'calling cards' for the strength of his new material - a good couple of years before he finally signed and 'You Are the Quarry Came Out'.

The material he is teasing us with this time, just doesn't sounds as strong. 'Action is My Middle Name' sounds the closest to a decent single, but not in the same league as the stuff he had back in 2002 with Alain on board. For some reason he keeps promoting 'People Are the Same Everywhere', which is very weak, both melodically and lyrically, and if released as a single would do nothing. 'Art-Hounds' is the best of the new bunch, but like 'Scandanavia' it sounds more like an album cut than a potential single. Maybe Morrissey is playing his cards close to his chest this time round, but where is the potential big hit singles to tempt the record companies into investing in him?

It's worth remembering that back in the last wilderness years without a record contract, Morrissey was playing both 'First of the Gang to Die' and 'Irish Blood, English Heart' as 'calling cards' for the strength of his new material - a good couple of years before he finally signed and 'You Are the Quarry Came Out'.

The material he is teasing us with this time, just doesn't sounds as strong. 'Action is My Middle Name' sounds the closest to a decent single, but not in the same league as the stuff he had back in 2002 with Alain on board. For some reason he keeps promoting 'People Are the Same Everywhere', which is very weak, both melodically and lyrically, and if released as a single would do nothing. 'Art-Hounds' is the best of the new bunch, but like 'Scandanavia' it sounds more like an album cut than a potential single. Maybe Morrissey is playing his cards close to his chest this time round, but where is the potential big hit singles to tempt the record companies into investing in him?

While there is some truth in this, "People", "Action" and "Looker" have already been released as b-sides. So, "Scandinavia" and "Art-Hounds" are all we now know of the two albums-worth of new songs. And they are promising. He certainly overrated "People" and "Looker", hopefully at the expense of better material in the locker.

To all of you negative word mongering Morrissey critics - "Unwittingly you make him"

Back
Top Bottom