Article: Billy Bragg takes on Morrissey over slam of London Olympics’ ‘blustering jingoism’ - Slicin

Re: Article: Billy Bragg takes on Morrissey over slam of London Olympics’ ‘blustering

Billy Bragg's response had f*** all to do with Morrissey's statement.

I guess if Morrissey doesn't spoonfeed it to people, they don't get it.

Who are the villains in Morrissey's statement?

And, yet! I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. TV (MEDIA)

The “dazzling royals” have, quite naturally, hi-jacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, (ROYALS - IN THE MEDIA)

and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. (FREE PRESS - MEDIA)

As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand (MEDIA)

Meanwhile the British media (MEDIA)

(AS DISTINGUISHED FROM...THE PEOPLE...) In 2012, the British public is evidently assumed (BY THE MEDIA) to be undersized pigmies, scarcely able to formulate thought.

the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain (MEDIA)

Basic reading comprehension sez Morrissey's statement was a criticism of THE MEDIA.

So what does Billy talk about? Who does Billy valiantly stick up for? The target of Morrissey's attack?

The home crowd.

People waving flags.

Jessica Ennis.

"Fellow citizens".

None of whom Morrissey accused of jingoism.

No, Billy blathered on about things Morrissey didn't say. And a "conversation" so quickly becomes two people talking about entirely different subjects. Welcome to the Internet, Billy!

Dear Worm, it is always an honour and a privilege to have the opportunity to bask in the quicksilver resplendence of your towering mind. :rock:

Re: Article: Billy Bragg takes on Morrissey over slam of London Olympics’ ‘blustering

The so- called royals are german posers and PARISITES.

Can you make up your mind? Are they German or French?

i still come here to read the comments and look on in disbelief at the spiralling down-turn in Morrissey's appeal. The man could have had iconic admiration for the rest of his life but he has been the master of his own downfall. His comments are crass, ignorant and miserable. His comments are not 'witty and charming' as some would have it. I was a die-hard, gigs up and down the country meeting other followers (who unsurprisingly are now also bored of him). I don't even listen to his music anymore because he has lost so many admirers including me. Five more years of this nonsense will break the man to dust, no mistake. It's time to pack it in. There is no buzz or excitement anymore, even a homecoming gig was a non-event in the end. A few years ago there was a frenzy for tickets, now nobody really cares. It really goes to show that withing the framework and confines of an artistic powerhouse like The Smiths, he was protected and could carry it off relying on the brilliance of his band to redeem him. On his own he is what he was before Marr knocked on his door. An idiot!
Oh really! What did precious little johnny do before he had Morrissey to get up there on stage and be a frontman, lead singer, lyricist and public spokesman? He did nothing, Nothing, NOTHING! mugubu/Zoolander

I am totally surprised that Morrissey's comments received any notice in the press. Morrissey is past-it. He used to be interesting - once. His band are an absolute joke. He can't get a record deal because he just isn't cool any more and looks like an old man. Wake up, indeed, and smell the coffee!

I was a die-hard, gigs up and down the country meeting other followers (who unsurprisingly are now also bored of him). I don't even listen to his music anymore because he has lost so many admirers including me.

Good. Maybe I won't have to stand in queue all day long this go around.

Mr Brag is a asshole and he'll always be! He thinks he can save the world and preach everyone with his songs. He never liked Morrissey, so not surprised of his response. Patriotism in a huge scale is always worying anyway. They are using the Olympics to distract us from the big trubles ahead.

Has Morrissey called him 'Silly Slagg' yet? I want a google alert for that.

"retarded usernames" Ahahahahaaaaaaaaa!

I know, right? Ironic coming from somebody who posts as "Thesmithsmorrissey"

unless of course, you take into consideration that it's completely tongue-in-cheek because I'm posting on a Smiths/Morrissey message board.

And now I'm laughing at you for being dumb enough to miss that :lbf:

His band are an absolute joke. He can't get a record deal because he just isn't cool any more and looks like an old man. Wake up, indeed, and smell the coffee!

Yea, that's exactly it. He's not cool anymore. And his band "is" a joke, not "are". Plus, he looks like an old man. Great reference points. I can see somebody remembered to put on their thinking cap this morning

because I'm pretty sure I saw thousands upon thousands of Morrissey fans storming the gates at his recent european tour, buying shitloads of his merchandise, and overwhelming venue security with their fanaticism. But we'll just assume you're correct when you imply that record companies know exactly what makes a musician saleable

So Moz wants to talk about jingoism when wholeheartedly supporting Israel which is just a settler-colonialist state and issuing statements in live performances about Syria at a time when U.S., British, and Western European forces are actively collaborating with Israel, Turkey, and Al Qaeda to try to bring the government down? Hmmm.... Hypocrisy much?

Moz has truly lost his head. Hopefully a retirement is in order.

I actually agree with Moz on the Olympics. I think it's an awful spectacle that reinforces ego and chauvinism and, to boot, is at the utter expense financially of the host countries.

Billy Bragg comes off sounding like some trite patriot. Then again, who the hell cares about Billy Bragg these days?

Yea, that's exactly it. He's not cool anymore. And his band "is" a joke, not "are". Plus, he looks like an old man. Great reference points. I can see somebody remembered to put on their thinking cap this morning

because I'm pretty sure I saw thousands upon thousands of Morrissey fans storming the gates at his recent european tour, buying shitloads of his merchandise, and overwhelming venue security with their fanaticism. But we'll just assume you're correct when you imply that record companies know exactly what makes a musician saleable

If you are going to be a pedant and pick people up on their grammar (how quaint) then maybe you might like to try using BIG LETTERS - we call them 'capital letters' -at the beginning of a sentence. Or haven't you covered that yet in your adult literacy class?

In English it is perfectly acceptable for collective nouns to take either the singular or the plural form of the verb, especially when it is used with a focus on the noun as a group of individuals, i. e. '[all members of] the band are a joke', [all members of] the staff are united' etc.

You were trying to make a good point in there about the recent tour but it got hidden beneath your muddle on the subject of grammar. Stick to what you understand!

So Moz wants to talk about jingoism when wholeheartedly supporting Israel which is just a settler-colonialist state and issuing statements in live performances about Syria at a time when U.S., British, and Western European forces are actively collaborating with Israel, Turkey, and Al Qaeda to try to bring the government down? Hmmm.... Hypocrisy much?

Moz has truly lost his head. Hopefully a retirement is in order.

Aside from his long term support of animal advocacy and long standing anti-royalist stance there is little evidence of a philosophical thread running through his other pronouncements, especially in the last year or two. It is hard not to come away with the impression his belief system is based on the media exposure it gives him above anything else.

As an interloper in the UK, Moz has simply misjudged the public mood on this. Like most people I was sceptical about the Games: far too expensive and a big money-making cash-cow for corporate sponsors like McShit. But the Games have definitely helped to foster a positive image of the UK that people can be proud to celebrate - not the 'Great' Britain of Empire and colonialsim, but the 'Great' Britain that created the NHS, some of the best music of the last 100 years, and almost certainly the most inclusive country in the world. To see Nicola Adams win a gold medal warmed the heart of the whole nation. I live in Tower Hamlets and it is great to see British Bangladeshis waving the flag. Is it this that Moz really objects to?

billy bragg,oh please,whats he ever done in his lonesome career,one hit single,and left wing pimp,he is not fit to scratch morrisseys ass, i would love to know how he can make our police force and our anti terrorism legislation any better,he is living on another planet,he has nothing to say that makes people stand up and listen,he is a complete crashing bore.

Dear Morrissey

You don't know what empirical means.

If you are going to be a pedant and pick people up on their grammar (how quaint) then maybe you might like to try using BIG LETTERS - we call them 'capital letters' -at the beginning of a sentence. Or haven't you covered that yet in your adult literacy class?

In English it is perfectly acceptable for collective nouns to take either the singular or the plural form of the verb, especially when it is used with a focus on the noun as a group of individuals, i. e. '[all members of] the band are a joke', [all members of] the staff are united' etc.

You were trying to make a good point in there about the recent tour but it got hidden beneath your muddle on the subject of grammar. Stick to what you understand!

You're an idiot

if he had said "His band members are a joke", it would have made sense. He said "His band are a joke", which is INCORRECT. It should read his bands are a joke, if Morrissey had more than one band. Your cut-n-paste grammar lesson from some other website does not support the context that other anonymous twat used

And as far as my sentence context goes, if you bothered to come around more than once a month like you obviously do, you'd know what my paragraph motifs look like and why one starts with a capital letter while the next doesn't

You're an idiot

if he had said "His band members are a joke", it would have made sense. He said "His band are a joke", which is INCORRECT. It should read his bands are a joke, if Morrissey had more than one band. Your cut-n-paste grammar lesson from some other website does not support the context that other anonymous twat used

And as far as my sentence context goes, if you bothered to come around more than once a month like you obviously do, you'd know what my paragraph motifs look like and why one starts with a capital letter while the next doesn't

You just don't understand collective nouns and their use in everyday English I'm afraid. Oh, and while we're talking correct/incorrect, you might like to use a capital letter for 'European' and put a full stop at the end of your ramblings. Your paragraph motifs? What f***ing trip are you on? How pretentious!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom