Article: "Kit" (full version) and "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small" (different version) - m

Re: Here's the treats

Cheers for these. Never understood all the interest in Kit, but the "Hard To Walk..." one is a really good listen.

Thanks again.

kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i Think i just shit myself

Um... Wow!
Hard to walk... What a different track altogether.
Some sterling generosity going on recently.
Cheers,
FWD

The source being Sundown Playboy/Kimura-san

It is marvelous to finally hear "Kit" in all of its clear, unexpurgated glory. A beautiful song from start to finish.

The plaintive, arpeggiated chord progression of this alternative version of "It's Hard to Walk Tall..." really caught me by surprise. It stands in such a stark contrast to the chugging rock and roll bash-away of the more familiar version. The aggression of the latter is probably a more fitting match for the lyrics, but I definitely prefer the careful, intricate guitar work here. And though I realize we're only hearing a guide vocal, I kind of like how spare the vocals are.

Once again, than you so much for sharing more of these gems.

Last edited:

It is marvelous to finally hear "Kit" in all of its clear, unexpurgated glory. A beautiful song from start to finish.

The plaintive, arpeggiated chord progression of this alternative version of "It's Hard to Walk Tall..." really caught me by surprise. It stands in such a stark contrast to the chugging rock and roll bash-away of the more familiar version. The aggression of the latter is probably a more fitting match for the lyrics, but I definitely prefer the careful, intricate guitar work here. And though I realize we're only hearing a guide vocal, I kind of like how spare the vocals are.

Once again, than you so much for sharing more of these gems.

i never know why moz decided to scrap kit. Such a gem

'Walk' has more than a hint of Lost or The Edges. I may be wrong, but I reckon they would have all been recorded/tried at the same time, which begs the question - where is I Know Who I Love?

If I'm recalling the Mozipedia correctly, I Know Who I Love and Kit were recorded during the album proper and the first version of It's Hard at the B-side sessions. So it's curious that these circulated together but I Know Who I Love didn't. For that matter - if these originally came from an apocryphal DAT tape upstream - it would seem plausible that Hanratty and Nightmare (two other Cobrin compositions from the B-side session) and The Leeches Go On Removing might have been on it. Goddard is the only person to ever have seemed to acknowledge hearing I Know Who I Love.

Any road, thanks for these baubles, Peter. Much appreciated!

Having heard the Miraval acoustic demos, I reviewed the individual entries on Passions Just Like Mine (the versions section) and noted there are unheard instrumental versions for practically each song. I would posit that what we heard were demos to get Morrissey's guide vocal. The unheard instrumentals are perhaps the more instrumentally expansive next step, I.e. the transitional step to what was re-recorded at Hook End. And perhaps these are less apt to see light of day because Morrissey isn't featured.

Just speculation, but it seems plausible. Then again, the leaked version of You Must Please Remember sounded very complete - as did the officially released masters of Honey You Know Where To Find Me and You Should Have Been Nice To Me. Unfortunately, the historical record was never very assiduously maintained when it came to the solo recording sessions.

If I'm recalling the Mozipedia correctly, I Know Who I Love and Kit were recorded during the album proper and the first version of It's Hard at the B-side sessions. So it's curious that these circulated together but I Know Who I Love didn't. For that matter - if these originally came from an apocryphal DAT tape upstream - it would seem plausible that Hanratty and Nightmare (two other Cobrin compositions from the B-side session) and The Leeches Go On Removing might have been on it. Goddard is the only person to ever have seemed to acknowledge hearing I Know Who I Love.

Any road, thanks for these baubles, Peter. Much appreciated!

Having heard the Miraval acoustic demos, I reviewed the individual entries on Passions Just Like Mine (the versions section) and noted there are unheard instrumental versions for practically each song. I would posit that what we heard were demos to get Morrissey's guide vocal. The unheard instrumentals are perhaps the more instrumentally expansive next step, I.e. the transitional step to what was re-recorded at Hook End. And perhaps these are less apt to see light of day because Morrissey isn't featured.

Just speculation, but it seems plausible. Then again, the leaked version of You Must Please Remember sounded very complete - as did the officially released masters of Honey You Know Where To Find Me and You Should Have Been Nice To Me. Unfortunately, the historical record was never very assiduously maintained when it came to the solo recording sessions.

The vast majority of Southpaw Grammar songs shared in the last week are vocal demos from the Miraval session.
The instrumental demos recorded at Miraval studios have been widely available for a number of years (although quality is not great).
As far as I am aware, the only Miraval instrumental demo not to have surfaced to date is Southpaw (just over 10 minutes in length).

As an aside, there are other versions/outtakes of Southpaw Grammar songs still out there, even more stripped back, if I remember correctly.

The vast majority of Southpaw songs shared in the last week are vocal demos from the Miraval session.
The instrumental demos recorded at Miraval studios have been widely available for a number of years (although quality is not great).
As far as I am aware, the only Miraval instrumental demo not to have surfaced to date is Southpaw (just over 10 minutes in length).

As an aside, there are other versions/outtakes of Southpaw songs still out there, even more stripped back, if I remember correctly.

So is it fair to say that the Alain and Boz home demos of most of the tracks have been considered "Miraval demos" as a misnomer? If it is indeed these, then yes: they've made the rounds since c. 2001.

Kit - the full version, non-muffled: https://soundcloud.com/peter-skinny/kit-full-hq

It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small, ultra-early totally different version: https://soundcloud.com/peter-skinny/hard-small-early-diff

The originator of these gems has asked me to dedicate them to Viva Hate and Sparkle Boy.

UPDATE 4:45 PM PT:

Post by Spencer Cobrin on Facebook:

There are posts appearing on FB and Morrissey-solo.com of an unfinished/unreleased track I co-wrote with Morrissey, 'It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small', this recording was part of the b-side sessions (which included, 'Lost') that followed the recording of Maladjusted. Amazed to hear this track after so long and though the track is unfinished and was never released I am glad it is seeing the light of day after so many years.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:

'Walk' has more than a hint of Lost or The Edges. I may be wrong, but I reckon they would have all been recorded/tried at the same time, which begs the question - where is I Know Who I Love?

Walk sounds a lot like Radiohead's The Tourist to me, though obviously it's a coincidence.

Skinny and everybody else, thank you so much for these.

Considering both songs sound 'finished' or at least near completion, it makes me wonder why Morrissey chose to never release them. I've heard that he wasn't impressed with his 'Kit' vocals (I imagine this is the "plead, pray, beg, and call upon you part") but they aren't awful and surely could have been corrected with an extra take.

Does anyone know when 'Hard to walk tall' would have been recorded? I'm not totally au fait with the court case but I always heard this song as a jab at Joyce. Was the court case 'on the horizon' when the song was recorded? Either way, it's a beautiful version with a more ambiguous feel than the Ringleader b-side, which is a little to direct for me. 'Hey Ringo/gringo' is surely a bit of a swipe at someone.

Goddard is the only person to ever have seemed to acknowledge hearing I Know Who I Love.

I once had a chat with Simon about this. I hope he won't mind me recalling this - it was an off the cuff remark from Jonny Bridgwood saying something to Simon along the lines of "You've heard I Know Who I Love, right?", and then Jonny played it to Simon over the kitchen table. That's my recollection anyway. So if that's right, Jonny Bridgwood has a copy, Simon doesn't, and what is in the Mozipedia is recalled from the listen at Jonny's.

The hard to walk tall when you're small version is fantastic, thanks for uploading these!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom