Article: MEN letter writers take issue with Morrissey's account of school days and teacher recollect

Re: MEN letter writers take issue with Morrissey's account of school days and teacher recollections

Morrissey never said that all of the students were miserable. He was brutally honest about his experience which was obviously different than Roy Rileys’s.

Letter from Roy Riley (Nov. 27, 2013):

men_letter.jpg

Another from Pat Griffin (Dec. 2, 2013):

men_letter_response.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: MEN letter writers take issue with Morrissey's account of school days and teacher recollections

I found the letter about the poor ambulance service more interesting! Bloody NHS. Poor "Disgruntled Daughter".

Oh, Christ.. Different people, different experiences. Right? And that picture they have chosen is so unfair. "Let's make Morrissey a miserable, ungrateful man and sell papers"

Re: Article: MEN letter writers take issue with Morrissey's account of school days and teacher recol

Morrissey describes his years in school as cruel and unpleasant. That's fair enough. Also, that his experiences and feelings differ to the ones of other people who were taught by the very same teachers. Unfortunately, giving the names of these teachers is small-minded and bad taste. What Morrissey taught me in his book is that every person who is evil is either fat or will stay alone forever. There is "fat Bernadette", "Miss Redmond who is aging, and will never marry", or "a fat-assed woman at Stretford Jobcenter". I wish I were a fat-assed, lonely teacher which would make me the perfect catch for Mr. Morrissey.

Re: Article: MEN letter writers take issue with Morrissey's account of school days and teacher recol

Do we have to hear about every time someone disagrees with Morrissey's opinions?

My hero, Moz, has an excellent record of making accurate observations. That's why I listen to him and I haven't read Roy Riley's article yet. Speaking of Autobiography, I tried to purchase it today on iTunes with iBook on my iPad-mini and it wouldn't let me! I had no problem purchasing Morrissey Live 25 on my iPad-mini recently, so that's weird.

Speaking of school teachers, I recently found out that my 7th grade teacher died of brain cancer.

BlueSkiesInTheDaytime

Morrissey never said that all of the students were miserable. He was brutally honest about his experience which was obviously different than Roy Rileys’s.

"James Coleman .... would have loved to listen to James Last and Andre Rieu" - listening to either one is painful enough, loving listening to both and you are the spawn of Beelzebub. Both these two were at St. Wilfred's before Mozz was even born, maybe Mr. Coleman had become bitter by the time he walked through the school gates.

Do we have to hear about every time someone disagrees with Morrissey's opinions?

It is always acceptable to hear a differing version of life according to Morrissey - who we know can be economical with the truth on occasions..........or do you take Morrissey's word as gospel every time?

Why yes, yes we do because the people on this site who make money as Morrissey experts (none of whom actually know him), help their cause by constantly pitting him against a counter opinion so the dramatic tension doesn't wane, thereby attracting attention to them, this website and their absurd, undue opinions.

Which Morrissey experts make money from this site? None that I know of.

Why yes, yes we do because the people on this site who make money as Morrissey experts (none of whom actually know him), help their cause by constantly pitting him against a counter opinion so the dramatic tension doesn't wane, thereby attracting attention to them, this website and their absurd, undue opinions.

"James Coleman .... would have loved to listen to James Last and Andre Rieu" - listening to either one is painful enough, loving listening to both and you are the spawn of Beelzebub. Both these two were at St. Wilfred's before Mozz was even born, maybe Mr. Coleman had become bitter by the time he walked through the school gates.

thats exactly what I was thinking :straightface:

Andre Rieu? Really? That's where I stopped reading. Because if you consider Andre Rieu as a whatsoever significant in music, then you must be considering Paul Walker as the man who almost caught up with Lawrence Olivier (but you know his Porsche was a better actor).

It is always acceptable to hear a differing version of life according to Morrissey - who we know can be economical with the truth on occasions..........or do you take Morrissey's word as gospel every time?

Not at all. Morrissey is quite capable of talking absolute gibberish just like the rest of us. I just don't see why this dude deserves an article because he happens to disagree with Morrissey's account of school life.

- marred.

I was under the impression that corporal punishment was very normative and rather brutal in British schools during this period (and probably American schools and elsewhere as well). So whereas I generally take what Morrissey says with a grain of salt I don't really have a hard doubting the veracity of Morrissey's claims here. I also don't doubt that the person in the article had a pleasant time and learned the joys of classical music or whatever.

Which Morrissey experts make money from this site? None that I know of.

Funniest thing I have read here in a while.

you can imagine what a snot nosed arse licker this kid was a school can't you.
probably read it hoping desperatley that he'd get a mention. clearly not a fan, although christ knows he'll be in good company here!, why go out of your way to read it.
Morrisey's account is of HIS life and experiences nobody else's.

you can imagine what a snot nosed arse licker this kid was a school can't you.
probably read it hoping desperatley that he'd get a mention. clearly not a fan, although christ knows he'll be in good company here!, why go out of your way to read it.
Morrisey's account is of HIS life and experiences nobody else's.

Of course. no one could doubt Morrissey's account. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, had miserable experiences at a school that others would recall with fondness. I'm 100% sure this is about not fitting in, and being an outsider, from the outset. Which is what draws me to his experience.

P.

Of course. no one could doubt Morrissey's account. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, had miserable experiences at a school that others would recall with fondness. I'm 100% sure this is about not fitting in, and being an outsider, from the outset. Which is what draws me to his experience.

P.

"School and teachers are evil, true artists are outsiders." NEVER heard this before. You really opened my eyes. Let me guess, you surely are an outsider but genius artist nobody ever heard of. As to me, I'm a fat-assed, unmarried teacher.

Morrissey describes his years in school as cruel and unpleasant. That's fair enough. Also, that his experiences and feelings differ to the ones of other people who were taught by the very same teachers. Unfortunately, giving the names of these teachers is small-minded and bad taste. What Morrissey taught me in his book is that every person who is evil is either fat or will stay alone forever. There is "fat Bernadette", "Miss Redmond who is aging, and will never marry", or "a fat-assed woman at Stretford Jobcenter". I wish I were a fat-assed, lonely teacher which would make me the perfect catch for Mr. Morrissey.

“I think back to that day when fat Bernadette wrapped a leather belt around her neck and proceeded to pull it tightly in both directions, thus possibly killing herself as she sat at her wonky desk in the classroom of B2. 'I'm gonna do it' she shouts at Miss Dudley, who casually reaches into her shopping-bag for her newspaper which she then unfolds on her battered desk – completely ignoring damaged and needy Bernadette, who is still shouting 'I'm gonna do it' Miss Dudley seems irritated only by the fact that she is taking so long.
(…)
This is Manchester school system of the 60s, where sadness is habit-forming, and where shame is cattle-prodded into kids who are in pursuit of bliss amid the unrelenting disapproval.”

And by reading this, you’re first (and only) conclusion was: Morrissey is a misogynist? Really?! He hated Miss Dudley because he hates women? He called Bernadette fat, because he hated her as a woman? Are you freakin’ kidding with me?!

“…as it the Grand National turf accountant’s dream of Miss World, as all of England places their bets on the beauty of young women whose full human potential is limited to one frozen expression; their bodies are for others, but not for themselves.”

He sounds to me more like a feminist, then a misogynist here, don’t you think? ;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom