Article: Morrissey cancels Cascais Music Festival (Portugal, July 24, 2012) because of injury to Sol

UPDATE 2:15PM PT:

Link posted by MORRIZSEY:

Press release from Susan Blond regarding Cascais date - true-to-you.net
24 July 2012

Press release from Susan Blond:

We are very sorry to inform that due to an unforeseen injury to Solomon Walker's back, Morrissey will not be able to perform at Cascais Music Festival tonight. Solomon Walker is the bass player and a central part of the band and it's impossible to do the concert without him.

We would like to apologise to all our fans who had bought tickets to see us but we promise we'll be back soon. Ticket refunds are available from the ticket vendor.

It looks as though the Portugal gig is cancelled. :(

Morrissey cancela concerto em Cascais - DN.pt

Thanks to Kevlarsoul at AYNIM for alerting us (original post).

Google Translate version of above article:

Due to a muscle injury bassist, Morrissey's concert tonight has been cancelled. "We regret that due to a muscle injury in the back of Soloman Walker, Morrissey concert in Cascais Music Festival was canceled. Soloman Walker Morrissey's bassist and a core part of the band, so it is impossible to hold the concert without him", said the statement released today by promoter Everything is New.

The former Smiths frontman was playing tonight at the Hippodrome Manuel Possolo in Cascais, and this concert would mark his return to Portugal six years after having spent the Paredes de Coura Festival.

The British musician apologizes to all fans who bought tickets and promises to return to Portugal soon. Those fans who bought ticket should go to the respective place of purchase to receive the refund within 30 days, starting with the date of the event.​

Paulo also writes:

Morrissey Cascais was canceled
back injury of Solomon Walker
Morrissey promises to come back a.s.a.p. to Portugal

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey cancels Cascais Music Festival (Portugal, July 24, 2012) becau

Its a festival isn't it. So whether or not it's sold out he gets his fee. What a bunch of old gossips!

Re: Article: Morrissey cancels Cascais Music Festival (Portugal, July 24, 2012) becau

without doubt, the most ludicrous comment to appear in this forum for a long, long time.

Well, Mr. or Miss. Anonymous, I am the Anonymous poster who wrote the original message that you found so ludicrous. That having been said, what is so ludicrous about the comment? It was not a slag at the Portuguese, it's just that you're gigging in a country in which you do not tour that frequently, you do not speak the language, and perhaps you do not know of suitable fill-in. Fact is, and I say this as a drummer, other than a frontman and an iconic lead-guitarist, band members are expendable (I mean, how many has Morrissey had over the years? I still pine for Alain and Spencer, but I don't see them around much anymore). So, while Solomon is a fine musician, whom Morrissey depends on, I find it hard to believe that on a normal night, a replacement cannot be found to fill his place. The fans pay to see Morrissey, after all, and it is quite ludicrous as well to think that the show could not go on, should anyone but Morrissey himself be unavailable. Nothing against anyone here, be it the Portuguese, Solomon, or Morrissey. But, Morrissey has a history of rash cancellations, abruptly leaving his fans holding the bag. I would imagine that for their sake, he would go on stage without his regular bassist (or whomever else it might be), for a night or two, in order to give the fans what they paid for. Still, if the short notice of Solomon's injury, coupled with the unfamiliar locale is a factor here, then I can see why Morrissey pulled out of the festival.
Regardless, I wish everyone well, especially Solomon, and I hope that everyone is fit and ready to continue the tour going forward.

Or perhaps he says that when there is actually something wrong with the band. It's a crazy and radical thought, I know.

What else is interesting is that no statement has been issued through TTY. There was only sparse mention of it on another site that I am quite anti.

For the post who claimed that bands/artists wait until the last minute to cancel in hopes someone may be well, that is a nice gesture, but most (especially Moz fans) would like to be notified in advance, as many travel.

Moz has a history of screwing his fans; he cares more about the bottom line ($$$) and animals than he does for people.

That truth does not take away that he used to produce some quality music/lyrics!

By far, the weakest bassist Moz has ever had in his band.

A missed chance to replace him.

Or perhaps he says that when there is actually something wrong with the band. It's a crazy and radical thought, I know.

I agree with you....
why can't we believe that Solomon REALLY got injury?
Why should it be a lie?
Best wishes to Solomon!!

Well, Mr. or Miss. Anonymous, I am the Anonymous poster who wrote the original message that you found so ludicrous. That having been said, what is so ludicrous about the comment? It was not a slag at the Portuguese, it's just that you're gigging in a country in which you do not tour that frequently, you do not speak the language, and perhaps you do not know of suitable fill-in. Fact is, and I say this as a drummer, other than a frontman and an iconic lead-guitarist, band members are expendable (I mean, how many has Morrissey had over the years? I still pine for Alain and Spencer, but I don't see them around much anymore). So, while Solomon is a fine musician, whom Morrissey depends on, I find it hard to believe that on a normal night, a replacement cannot be found to fill his place. The fans pay to see Morrissey, after all, and it is quite ludicrous as well to think that the show could not go on, should anyone but Morrissey himself be unavailable. Nothing against anyone here, be it the Portuguese, Solomon, or Morrissey. But, Morrissey has a history of rash cancellations, abruptly leaving his fans holding the bag. I would imagine that for their sake, he would go on stage without his regular bassist (or whomever else it might be), for a night or two, in order to give the fans what they paid for. Still, if the short notice of Solomon's injury, coupled with the unfamiliar locale is a factor here, then I can see why Morrissey pulled out of the festival.
Regardless, I wish everyone well, especially Solomon, and I hope that everyone is fit and ready to continue the tour going forward.

I'm not the poster of the original comment, but I agree with it.
You seem to think that any bassist can simply get on a plane with a few hours notice and know / play all the songs without any difficulty.
Clearly a sill comment.

I´m very disappointed about this situation! Mr. Morrissey there are people who have travelled hundreds maybe thousands of miles to see your concert! I only knew that the concert was cancelled at the local! I´m really disappointed and sad about it!

Yeah. Like he is a good bass player anyway. Moz could have picked up a local bass man if he wanted to do the show. It is pretty standard playing, nothing interesting. A reasonable player could have the set down after a run thru.

moz not nice. 1500 kilometer, 2 nights hotel, 3 days off work....petrol 150 eur, hotel 200 eur, food 200 eur, tickets 70 eur.
morrissey, eres un prepotente

He didn't come because it didn't sold-out. There were still 1200 out of 2500, he always likes a full house. I guess he was put out by that, but you know people in portugal don't really have an interest in music.

What do you know about the interest in music by Portuguese people???? are you an expert about it?? maybe that's why some have to travel to see fav bands that play in my country (Portugal) http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/apr/20/best-summer-music-festivals-europe

Moz could have picked up a local bass man if he wanted to do the show.

Sad. Stupid. And sad again. You clearly know nothing at all about Morrissey.

He didn't come because it didn't sold-out. There were still 1200 out of 2500, he always likes a full house. I guess he was put out by that, but you know people in portugal don't really have an interest in music.

Funny!!! you are an expert about the interest of portuguese people!!!

moz not nice. 1500 kilometer, 2 nights hotel, 3 days off work....petrol 150 eur, hotel 200 eur, food 200 eur, tickets 70 eur.
morrissey, eres un prepotente
He is nice!!!

So disappointed. On hols in Cascais from Dublin & really looking forward to concert. Only found out when we got to venue this evening. Hope Morrissey plays Dublin again soon.

I've been dreaming of a Morrissey's gig since I was a teenager, and that is almost 30 years. I spent more than 7 hours driving from Madrid to Cascaes, with my little one who is 9 years old, and if a huge fan of him... I'll never forget his face when we arrived to Hipódromo Manuel Possolo and saw all the people at the ticket office and read that the concert was cancelled due to unforeseen injury of his bass player... I have no words to describe how we feel now, so really hope that the reason of Morrissey cancelled the gig was the one he told , not the one some people is telling here.

to make up for this , do a show in Paris, I would like to see a show before you .... buy a rocking chair and and a well cut poodle

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom