Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Vogue, The Telegraph, The Big Issue, New Zealand Herald, Las Vega

Morrissey's New Album Doesn't Miss a Beat by Jacob Brown - Vogue. Link posted by Chickpea and Belligerent Ghoul.

Morrissey, World Peace is None of Your Business, review: 'spitting, sneering and sniffling' by Helen Brown (3 of 5 stars) - The Telegraph. Link posted by George the 23rd.

Review by Malcolm Jack - The Big Issue. Link posted by esskay.
"Musically, World Peace is None of Your Business is as good as anything from the Morrissey renaissance years"

Review by Graham Reid (4 of 5 stars) - The New Zealand Herald. Link posted by Librarian On fire.

Review by Mike Prevatt (4 of 5 stars) - Las Vegas Weekly. Link posted by Belligerent Ghoul.

Michael Legge reviews WPINOYB for his podcast Blogging For the Blind - link posted by Detritus (original thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Vogue, The Telegraph, The Big Issue, New Zealand Herald, Las

Dear Big Issue
"Upper Class"??? Where did that even come from?! Aren't you confusing the subject of this song with the narrator? He's got four (4) homes, you know.

With fond memories of buying you from the homeless -not reading you on the net,
Sherlock Homeless

This album is okay, but far from "stellar".

The most remarkable thing about this album is the complete absence of funny & witty lyrics.

Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Vogue, The Telegraph, The Big Issue, New Zealand Herald, Las

Mr. Anaesthesine is a musician and songwriter, and he's spent the better part of the last two decades in recording studios: music is everything to him. He was never really a Morrissey fan, but when I freaked out over Morrissey's "return" in 2004, he fell under his spell for a while. He's gone to quite a few shows over the intervening years, but ROTT and YOR both bored him, and he lost interest in even seeing Morrissey live again.

I was surprised, then, when he mentioned that he's been listening to WPINOYB. "Mountjoy" in particular moved him, and he loves "Neal Cassady Drops Dead," "Istanbul," "I'm not a Man," and nearly every other song on the album. We just got back from a drive (blasting Morrissey all the way); at the end he said "god, I wish we could hear this live!"

So, there you go: it's one man's opinion, but I agree: this is the first Morrissey album in years that has gotten better with repeated listenings, and the first album since Quarry that I'd love to hear live: no cringing moments like "The Youngest was the Most Loved" or "Black Cloud." This one is a step up musically and lyrically. It's not his best, but to these jaded ears he's really delivered.

Last edited:

Mr. Anaesthesine is a musician and songwriter, and he's spent the better part of the last two decades in recording studios: music is everything to him. He was never really a Morrissey fan, but when I freaked out over Morrissey's "return" in 2004, he fell under his spell for a while. He's gone to quite a few shows over the intervening years, but ROTT and YOR both bored him, and he lost interest in even seeing Morrissey live again.

I was surprised, then, when he mentioned that he's been listening to WPINOYB. "Mountjoy" in particular moved him, and he loves "Neal Cassady Drops Dead," "Istanbul," "I'm not a Man," and nearly every other song on the album. We just got back from a drive (blasting Morrissey all the way); at the end he said "god, I wish we could hear this live!"

So, there you go: it's one man's opinion, but I agree: this is the first Morrissey album in years that has gotten better with repeated listenings, and the first album since Quarry that I'd love to hear live: no cringing moments like "The Youngest was the Most Loved" or "Black Cloud." This one is a step up musically and lyrically. It's not his best, but to these jaded ears he's really delivered.

Your husband has excellent taste, Mountjoy is moving to the top of my list now.

Your husband has excellent taste, Mountjoy is moving to the top of my list now.

That he does CG, that he does. He's introduced me to a lot of great bands over the years. I'm just glad that I could reintroduce him to Morrissey. :)

We just got back from a drive (blasting Morrissey all the way); at the end he said "god, I wish we could hear this live!".

I'm with Mr. A. I fell asleep last night wishing Morrissey would sing the complete LP on tour. It's my favorite of his works this century.

My wife and I both love it and listen to it daily. We don’t agree on much musically but both LOVE Moz/Smiths and they’re very special to us. Glad to see there’s others out there like us!

My wife and I both love it and listen to it daily. We don’t agree on much musically but both LOVE Moz/Smiths and they’re very special to us. Glad to see there’s others out there like us!

My husband knew ahead of time that marrying me was going to also mean marrying Morrissey and the Cure, but because we met during the quiet years, I'm not sure he fully grasped the extent of the whole Morrissey thing until 2004. He had a few Smiths and Moz albums when we met so it wasn't like he hated him or anything, but he had no interest in seeing him live, etc. A couple of years ago, though, he finally succumbed and now LOVES Morrissey and has even gone to a couple of shows. It's a huge relief. I think it's actually a little more important to me that my husband likes WPINOYB than I do, because I don't want him to fall off the Moz-wagon. He loves it, fortunately!!

Last edited:

My husband new ahead of time that marrying me was going to also mean marrying Morrissey and the Cure, but because we met during the quiet years, I'm not sure he fully grasped the extent of the whole Morrissey thing until 2004. He had a few Smiths and Moz albums when we met so it wasn't like he hated him or anything, but he had no interest in seeing him live, etc. A couple of years ago, though, he finally succumbed and now LOVES Morrissey and has even gone to a couple of shows. It's a huge relief. I think it's actually a little more important to me that my husband likes WPINOYB than I do, because I don't want him to fall off the Moz-wagon. He loves it, fortunately!!

That’s funny! I was actually a little worried that when the Mrs. Kocherpepsi hear the new Moz she wouldn’t like it and I’d be left alone in my fandom. It warms my heart to see her also on FB commenting on Moz official posts and warding off those pesky trolls :).

Our Moz story is pretty funny actually....we met in early 2005 and I would go on and on about Moz and how she should check him out (she was already a fan of artists like Elliott Smith, etc.) and when I played her The Smiths and solo stuff she immediately fell in love. It actually turned out that she had a mix with “Asleep” on it and loved the song and had no idea who sang it (ah, those pre-Shazam times).

If she likes Morrissey and Elliott Smith, you got a good one there! My first official date with my now-wife was dinner and then an Elliott Smith show.

That’s funny! I was actually a little worried that when the Mrs. Kocherpepsi hear the new Moz she wouldn’t like it and I’d be left alone in my fandom. It warms my heart to see her also on FB commenting on Moz official posts and warding off those pesky trolls :).

Our Moz story is pretty funny actually....we met in early 2005 and I would go on and on about Moz and how she should check him out (she was already a fan of artists like Elliott Smith, etc.) and when I played her The Smiths and solo stuff she immediately fell in love. It actually turned out that she had a mix with “Asleep” on it and loved the song and had no idea who sang it (ah, those pre-Shazam times).

It warms one's heart to see how matrimonial this thread is getting. Since we're on the subject, what do the happy couples here think of the lyrics of "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle"? Do they work for you guys?
Are they encouraging romance ? I can't really tell.
With thanks, and bemusement
C. Kowshed

It warms one's heart to see how matrimonial this thread is getting. Since we're on the subject, what do the happy couples here think of the lyrics of "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle"? Do they work for you guys?

The story told in the song bears no resemblance to my own marriage, so I can't help you out there, but I have had loved ones (men and women) wind up in that type of relationship—whether it's a total emotional or financial dependence that leaves one party completely drained of life.

Are they encouraging romance ? I can't really tell.

I think they are encouraging equality and fairness within relationships. If you want to call that "romance," fine, but I just see these things as human decency.

If my wife married for money, she did a horrible job. hahaha

in other words, this song bears no resemblance to my own marriage

Hey everyone, I wrote a review of the new album which you can check out here - http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2014/07/review-morrissey-world-peace-is-none-of-your-business/ - Hope you like it!

I believe this is his best work for quite some time, and it's a wonderful thought that even well into his career he still seems to have the ability to craft a memorable lyric or pertinant observation.

My favourite tracks would have to be Smiler With Knife and Stairway, but there's not many tracks on there I feel like skipping. It's wonderful, eccentric, and the sum of all the finest quirky elements of a man at the peak of his powers.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom