"As a black teenager, I loved Morrissey. But heaven knows..." - Guardian article by Joshua Surtees

Going by how many anti-Corbyn articles the Guardian managed to publish after he was first elected leader, I suspect they've got about another 150 of these anti-Morrissey pieces in the pipeline...

As a black teenager, I loved Morrissey. But heaven knows I’m miserable now - Opinion / The Guardian
By Joshua Surtees
I used to defend Morrissey against accusations of racism. Now I feel betrayed by his support for bigots like Tommy Robinson

(And it's some top class trolling, using "Heaven Knows..." in the article title, given how much they know Morrissey hates that and "Bigmouth" being used in headlines.)

This is never going to end unless Morrissey backtracks/apologises. Which means: this is never going to end.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredibly silly, once again.
No, this will never stop.

The Smiths hated reggae he claims.
Would this ‘former fan’ even know what Girlfriend in a Coma was based on?

And yes, bring in the former Echobelly-bassist in to back you up :lbf:

@ Joshua Surtees & The Guardian

f*** OFF!

I need a bigger font! Size 24 maybe?

I'm afraid I just want Steve to read these articles and realise how damaging and foolish his behaviour has been.
I still don't believe him to be a bad person. Just massively confused, lazy and ill-informed when it comes to politics and international affairs.

I once thought of The Guardian as a serious, very respectable news paper and news outlet. One that you could trust. They have now resorted to the pesky means reminiscent of the Sun or the Daily Mail. They are ruining their own reputation.

I once thought of The Guardian as a serious, very respectable news paper and news outlet. One that you could trust. They have now resorted to the pesky means reminiscent of the Sun or the Daily Mail. They are ruining their own reputation.

It's always been broadly left-leaning, of course, and that used to appeal to me personally. But ever since the full move online and that website's increasing reach in the US and Australian markets, the Guardian seems to be betting everything on being a broader "lifestyle" media outlet for a particular strand of "woke" liberal, progressive readers. And maybe that's a sensible policy, who knows? So for those people, I suspect the paper's reputation is stronger than it's ever been. But for anyone who perhaps prefers a range of different viewpoints, it's become a bit of a joke - hence the phrase "peak Guardian". (It still employs a handful of good writers, though. Aditya Chakrabortty is brilliant on the economic nastiness of this current government, for example.)

I'm afraid I just want Steve to read these articles and realise how damaging and foolish his behaviour has been.
I still don't believe him to be a bad person. Just massively confused, lazy and ill-informed when it comes to politics and international affairs.

I think it's pretty easy to recognise when a country is under threat from a specific community.

Also, Morrissey is holding your hand, you dumb f***!

Morrissey-and-I.jpg

https://images.vice.com/noisey/content-images/contentimage/85584/Morrissey-and-I.jpg?resize=320:*

Also, Morrissey helped you up onto the f***ing stage!

"I reached the barriers, and looked up to see Morrissey, arm outstretched, glacial blue eyes staring into mine, his large, surprisingly strong hand reaching down to pull me onstage."

Full paragraph:

"When the time finally came around it was 1999. I was 19, and Morrissey had been absent from the music scene for a while. As part of his world tour he played four nights in a row at Kentish Town Forum. I went to all four shows. On the second night, I wore a “Meat Is Murder” t-shirt and during the encore while he played “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me”, I climbed onto my mate's shoulders and crowdsurfed towards the stage. I reached the barriers, and looked up to see Morrissey, arm outstretched, glacial blue eyes staring into mine, his large, surprisingly strong hand reaching down to pull me onstage. A bouncer approached, attempting to waylay me but he had no chance. Suddenly I was up there, embracing my idol. Burying my face in his neck – cold sweat and cologne – I had so many words prepared, but I just whispered the only thing I could at the time: “I love you.” He giggled. I was dragged offstage. Excuse the shitty photo, but I didn’t even take it. I found it on a fan forum years later."

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...o-grow-up-as-a-black-indie-fan-in-90s-britain

Also, Morrissey helped you up onto the f***ing stage!

"I reached the barriers, and looked up to see Morrissey, arm outstretched, glacial blue eyes staring into mine, his large, surprisingly strong hand reaching down to pull me onstage."

Full paragraph:

"When the time finally came around it was 1999. I was 19, and Morrissey had been absent from the music scene for a while. As part of his world tour he played four nights in a row at Kentish Town Forum. I went to all four shows. On the second night, I wore a “Meat Is Murder” t-shirt and during the encore while he played “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me”, I climbed onto my mate's shoulders and crowdsurfed towards the stage. I reached the barriers, and looked up to see Morrissey, arm outstretched, glacial blue eyes staring into mine, his large, surprisingly strong hand reaching down to pull me onstage. A bouncer approached, attempting to waylay me but he had no chance. Suddenly I was up there, embracing my idol. Burying my face in his neck – cold sweat and cologne – I had so many words prepared, but I just whispered the only thing I could at the time: “I love you.” He giggled. I was dragged offstage. Excuse the shitty photo, but I didn’t even take it. I found it on a fan forum years later."

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/...o-grow-up-as-a-black-indie-fan-in-90s-britain
His initial recollection of the gig via his own blog 4 years prior to the Vice article:

"Anybody who knows me knows the extent of my Smiths and Morrissey obsession. In 1999 a friend and I went to see him play four nights in a row at the Forum in Kentish Town. I attempted to get onstage on each of these four nights. On one occassion Morrissey spotted me crowdsurfing toward the stage and put his hand out to pull me onstage. For a brief moment, merely seconds, I put my arms around him as he sang 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me'. I buried my face in the back of his neck which was incredibly sweaty. The sweat was cold as he had just been off stage before returning for the encore. That's about as much detail as you need...

Here's a picture of the moment, which somebody actually captured and put up on a Moz fans forum site...."

Regards,
FWD.

The Guardian should apologize. Surely they know they eventually would have to pay a huge amount of money if they are brought to a court but they don´t care. This is what makes them extremely dangerous and democratically disruptive, because that means they are financially supported by we know/imagine who to harass Morrissey. And we all know that when those people are powerful they are extremely vengeful, they hate humasexuals and women's rights and they torture animals before eating them.

Last edited:
It's the deliberate delicacy of the wording I find so intriguing. Imagine if this paragraph:

"Britishness is an integral part of my identity too, as it is to most black and Asian Brits – including Muslims, who you clearly fear and loathe, partly because they eat differently butchered meat, partly because you think they’re terrorists and partly because – like the For Britain founder, Anne Marie Waters – they don’t fit your ideal of what Britishness should look like."

...was instead phrased:

"Britishness is an integral part of my identity too, as it is to most black and Asian Brits – including Muslims, who you clearly fear and loathe, partly because they eat differently butchered meat, partly because one of them - radicalised by an extreme version of Islam - blew himself up, brutally killing 22 innocent people at a pop concert in your home city and partly because – like the For Britain founder, Anne Marie Waters – they don’t fit your ideal of what Britishness should look like."

All Morrissey needs to do is convert to Islam, and he will become the Guardian's darling again. I'm predicting he'll take a couple of years off, then come back with a whole new image, and his career will undergo a late-stage resurgence. He could even be the new Cat Stevens!

Going by how many anti-Corbyn articles the Guardian managed to publish after he was first elected leader, I suspect they've got about another 150 of these anti-Morrissey pieces in the pipeline...

As a black teenager, I loved Morrissey. But heaven knows I’m miserable now - Opinion / The Guardian
By Joshua Surtees
I used to defend Morrissey against accusations of racism. Now I feel betrayed by his support for bigots like Tommy Robinson

(And it's some top class trolling, using "Heaven Knows..." in the article title, given how much they know Morrissey hates that and "Bigmouth" being used in headlines.)

This is never going to end unless Morrissey backtracks/apologises. Which means: this is never going to end.

Related item:

This is never going to end unless Morrissey backtracks/apologises. Which means: this is never going to end.’

Or more likely it’ll end when they apologize to him,
as they should.

The Guardian should apologize. Surely they know they eventually will have to pay a huge amount of money if they are brought to a court but they don´t care. This is what makes them extremely dangerous and democratically disruptive, because that means they are financially supported by we know/imagine who to harass Morrissey. And we all know that when those people are powerful they are extremely vengeful, they hate humasexuals and women's rights and they torture animals before eating them.

For what? Name one actionable deed or sentence. Go ahead. In your own time.

All Morrissey needs to do is convert to Islam, and he will become the Guardian's darling again. I'm predicting he'll take a couple of years off, then come back with a whole new image, and his career will undergo a late-stage resurgence. He could even be the new Cat Stevens!

Ha!

Cat Steven :)

If you click the link and read the story, you are driving traffic to their site. Why else do you think they're running these incessant stories? They're clickbait, and even if you hate the article and respond angrily to it, you've still given them web traffic. So just don't read these articles, period (and, if you're so inclined, just don't read The Guardian at all).

It will end when the papers find when the clicks on these stories drop and some new story gets more clicks. That will be true for the anti-Moz and the pro-Moz articles. The websites/papers exist to make money. People can only read so many op-ed pieces about the same topic before it becomes a rehashing of things we already know. We are at a point in America where the killing of black people by cops is not first page reading anymore. It's been pushed to the back and that's an issue that actually matters unlike what badge some singer wore on his lapel.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom