At last Sunday's Boca-River game

mitsos

I was in Buenos Aires last Sunday (I do not live there) and managed to get tickets to the Boca Juniors vs. River Plate game. For those who do not follow football/soccer it's the biggest match in Argentina (possibly in South America), especially when played in Boca's stadium, La Bombonera.
(Think Yankees-Mets, Liverpool-Man.United, Real-Barcelona, with the passion of the Rio carnival...)

I look behind me, and a few rows back, what do I see:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Boca Juniors vs. River Plate is certainly one of the biggest matches, but surely not the biggest.

The NYDolls played last weekend here in Buenos Aires, so perhaps that t-shirt was in the merchandising, will try to investigate about this, :rolleyes:

I think the t-shirt did have signatures on the Dolls pic.
I didn't talk to the guy wearing it. Not sure if he is Argentinean, but he did speak fluent Spanish (from what I could hear).

Boca Juniors vs. River Plate is certainly one of the biggest matches, but surely not the biggest.

I'm curious, what's the biggest derby?

For me it might be this, or Inter vs. A.C. Milan due to their passionate supporters.

I think the t-shirt did have signatures on the Dolls pic.
I didn't talk to the guy wearing it. Not sure if he is Argentinean, but he did speak fluent Spanish (from what I could hear).

is great to see by chance someone wearing a moz t-shirt, a badge or whatever in the very least imaginable place, no? :thumb: :)

by the way, hope you have spent a good time here.

Last edited:
by the way, hope you have spent a good time here.

Did I love it?
I got married there last week (Thursday before the game!)

Absolutely wonderful city!

I would not be surprised if Moz writes a song about it (maybe some pun about its brown water?)

Can't wait to revisit and go south to Patagonia.

You've obviously NEVER been to an old frim game mate?:crazy:

The people look like they are at the cinema in that photo!

Celtic v Rangers games are bouncing, the atmosphere is up there with Moz gigs! :lbf:

You've obviously NEVER been to an old frim game mate?:crazy:

The people look like they are at the cinema in that photo!

Is it that obvious that I have never been to an old frim game?
I was sure I was good at hiding that one!! :p
But have you been to an AEK-Olympiakos game? ;)

Ok, my point was about the odd place to see the t-shirt... Any offence to national leagues, local derbys, football anthem composers, gate organisers is unintended, and I take full responsibility. I do live in the US, though, and (I am sure you can sympathize) it is not easy to keep up with soccer here.

:)

Perdon, no? Pero...
Ah ok, I only now got to see the pics :lbf:

Still waiting to see any of those in Montevideo :rolleyes:

For me it might be this, or Inter vs. A.C. Milan due to their passionate supporters.

If we're talking 'derby' in the strictest sense, i.e., cross-town or local rivals, it's almost always Celtic vs. Rangers, i.e., the Old Firm Derby, in all the lists that I've seen. Catholics vs. Protestants. Deep history of hatred, not to mention bloodshed, but the rivalry has lost some of its luster in recent years for many reasons.

But if one were to stretch the definition of 'derby', then it's usually Real Madrid vs. Barcelona, i.e., El Clasico. This is usually the biggest rivalry in football period.

Boca Juniors vs. River Plate is usually third in the world. Inter vs. AC is usually in the top 10 in the world.

p.s. Here's one amusing story I've heard about one very bitter football rivalry in particular, and that is Newcastle Utd. vs. Sunderland. Sunderland's colors are red and white stripes. Some Newcastle supporters hate Sunderland so much that they won't even eat bacon because of its red and white stripes. :lbf:

Maradoooooooooo

I think Boca v River must indeed be the biggest match in the world. That photo was probably taken hours before the match or something.

I don't really know much about football, but I believe that the matches in Brazil are bigger than the ones in Argentina.

I believe that Boca is bigger than River Plate. And it seems to me that teams such as São Paulo FC, Corinthians and Palmeiras have much more titles than Boca.

Back
Top Bottom