'Autobiography' as an authentic source

“I don’t eat animals, birds or fish,” Moz said. “I don’t consider myself to be vegan, vegetarian or carnivorous. I’m just me. I refuse to eat anything that had a mother, that’s obvious.”

- Morrissey
Oh I see, so he’s not actually vegan. It’s still cool he’s vegetarian since before it was a thing.

Wow, look at those treats! He's not actually vegan, is he? I mean, being vegetarian is fine, he looks so happy in there!

They might have a vegan range. Or he could be picking something up for someone else.

Sam for one, no doubt he will have written notes on all sorts of things in preparation to cash in once his Uncle passes.
Yes, its quite obvious there is very little respect for M, not really.
Sam doesn't "get" his uncle.
In truth, the lack of respect goes both ways. I think if you were one of M's friends you would know he thinks very little of Sam and his brother.
But he is working class and English so wants to make his mum happy

What Karen said, is once again, daft.
Of course, Morrissey helped create a myth. He did it by trying to keep as real as possible but there was a lot of smoke and mirrors (bit Jack Kerouac style)
which is fair enough, He's a pop star and Mancs love to indulge in self mythology= if you don't know that you know that, you don't know much

Wow, look at those treats! He's not actually vegan, is he? I mean, being vegetarian is fine, he looks so happy in there!

He wasn't buying for himself, it’s a really popular shop and they only open Wednesday to Saturday.

DD781AFC-C2FC-45B4-B475-77E71F177E4C.jpeg

Last edited:
And below is a joke also

yes, nothing of interest to anyone, I’m sure.

OMG ! That’s some crazy shit! Everyone’s fascinated! Lol.

Please tell me your joking, that you think the above is interesting? really?

If they are, then, god help them. Pathetic.

After his passing, plenty of folks are gonna be disappointed to find that there will be no ‘dirt’ revealed.

I don’t think there will be anything horrible but I’m sure there will be stuff around how he treats people, his writing process etc

After 40 years in the public eye, what ‘mythology’ is left about Morrissey, really?

The way Morrissey describes his personality (‘complicated and scarred’ in Autobio) and what others have said about him – that has always been consistent and is of someone who is quiet, introverted, prone to depression, finds people exhausting and uses music/books/career as a refuge. It's in his lyrics, in every interview, it's everywhere.

None of that is really mythology but it doesn’t mean he never left the house and was literally “chained to a typewriter” 24/7 - come on. Why it would surprise anyone that he goes to pubs and shops and comes home to Manc to see his family, I can’t imagine.

I loved Autobio and it was 100% Morrissey all the way through, as witty and misanthropic and angry as you'd expect. Johnny's book was exactly what you'd expect, too - a nice book from a nice guy who doesn't like conflict and tends to gloss over life's difficulties. I don't think either were lying, that is just who they are.

After 40 years in the public eye, what ‘mythology’ is left about Morrissey, really?

The way Morrissey describes his personality (‘complicated and scarred’ in Autobio) and what others have said about him – that has always been consistent and is of someone who is quiet, introverted, prone to depression, finds people exhausting and uses music/books/career as a refuge. It's in his lyrics, in every interview, it's everywhere.

Agree, there is no ‘mythology’. There is an image, that all sides have a hand in creating.

None of that is really mythology but it doesn’t mean he never left the house and was literally “chained to a typewriter” 24/7 - come on. Why it would surprise anyone that he goes to pubs and shops and comes home to Manc to see his family, I can’t imagine.
Agree, why Surface thinks that after M’s passing that the great revelation
will be that M did do ordinary things is gonna be of interest to anyone is absurd.
I loved Autobio and it was 100% Morrissey all the way through, as witty and misanthropic and angry as you'd expect. Johnny's book was exactly what you'd expect, too - a nice book from a nice guy who doesn't like conflict and tends to gloss over life's difficulties. I don't think either were lying, that is just who they are.

Agree. As I said, people like Skinny and Surface are gonna be disappointed when band members, managers, etc and those closer to him have nothing actually scandalous to reveal about him after his passing.

I don’t think there will be anything horrible but I’m sure there will be stuff around how he treats people, his writing process etc

Treats people? He’s a human being like everyone, not perfect. Everyone given the situation can be an ass to others. Why that would be an interest to anyone is more a reflection of what kind of person would find that kind of information
interesting in the first place.

btw it’s funny how the folks that come offf as anti-Moz around here
are the ones that actually put him up on a pedestal where he can’t dare show any human flaws.

Poor Morrissey can't even get a pastry without creating more mythology.

even Jesus had an easier time buying some pastries.

At least we can be sure that Morrissey didn’t turn them into fish when he got home.

:straightface:

OI the imaginary daughter knows the gardener who teaches at a school who is friends with the
plumber who is cousins with the pie shop owner:swear

add that to skinnys bag of FH Mike chinese buffet reflections and you are sure to have
a book nobody reads, much less buysdoh:

:hammer:

I don’t see the problem with Autobiography not being authentic. The writing style, for exemple, is 100% Morrissey’s: witt, twisted, original, hyperboles. Lots of sentences that were unmistakenly Morrissey. Also, his account of how he felt as part of the Smiths and his struggle with Rough Trade (which was repeated with every other record company), his version of the coût case, strike me as rather honest reflections of his feelings and his perceptions of the surrounding world. And they are telling a lot about his own personality.

I tend to agree that some things were missing. Personality, I would have liked more thoughts on his own writing process, the lyics which holding a spécial place in his heart, his various song writing partners (I almost got the impression that it always was a smooth process and that is a bit harder to believe).

I don’t see the problem with Autobiography not being authentic. The writing style, for exemple, is 100% Morrissey’s: witt, twisted, original, hyperboles. Lots of sentences that were unmistakenly Morrissey. Also, his account of how he felt as part of the Smiths and his struggle with Rough Trade (which was repeated with every other record company), his version of the coût case, strike me as rather honest reflections of his feelings and his perceptions of the surrounding world. And they are telling a lot about his own personality.

I tend to agree that some things were missing. Personality, I would have liked more thoughts on his own writing process, the lyics which holding a spécial place in his heart, his various song writing partners (I almost got the impression that it always was a smooth process and that is a bit harder to believe).
Agreed. It's been a while since I read it, but I thought he was very honest describing the Kill Uncle period and dissatisfaction with his own work... he mentioned feeling at the very limit of his abilities. If anything though it seemed a bit heavy on airing grievances... where it could have been a fascinating examination of his lyric writing and overall creative process.

Last edited:
Not going there!
Any view I may have wouldn't necessarily negate Peter's (although the quote would help).
From personal experience, I've had quite a few drinks with various band members in my time and they've been quite 'accidentally' indiscreet with information relating to Morrissey. That said (and a point worth mentioning), I didn't rush online and disclose any tidbits I'd picked up probably from a sense of loyalty towards said people. That didn't require anything signed and could go some way to explain why they behave the way they do.
Also worth noting: the general use of the term non-disclosure agreement on this site is in an assumptive manner and doesn't relate to any hard evidence.
Regards,
FWD.
Same. Exactly. I once had what can be described as a life-altering Moz experience (in a good way, and no illicit substances were used, haha) with a handful of other fans, and the next morning I was sure it’d be all over Moz-solo. Not a peep was on here, and as far as I knew, none of us ever said a word anywhere publicly about it. It has been several years since that event. It was a beautiful experience unsullied by being bandied about on here in public. I felt a strong loyalty and said nothing, and neither did anyone else there. Also, I, too, have heard a few things “slip” from inebriated band members over the years — some surprising things, some not — and out of respect and love for the man have said nothing. They sort of have a sense who will be like that before chatting it up, I think. Well, I digress. This long post was simply to say - I agree with you and relate all the way <3

They do that because they are required to sign an NDA if they want to work with him, and that's why nothing has ever come out from any of his collaborators. The reason I know this is because Boz said this in the early to mid 2000s.
Nonsense. All of it.

Tags
autobiography
Back
Top Bottom