"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 4

Updated list of Autobiography reviews / media reviews.

Funny, sad, bitchy, frustrating: it’s Morrissey, all right by Johnny Rogan - The Irish Times. Link posted by punky (original post).
Despite the fanfare, this pacy autobiography reveals little about the Smiths singer

Mein Camp Memoirs: Luke Haines Reviews Morrissey's Autobiography - The Quietus. Link posted by carnal artist (original post).
Mr Luke Haines, musician, author, artist and wearer of excellent hats, reviews Morrissey's autobiography

An Open Letter To Morrissey About His New Book… by John Robb - Louder Than War. Link posted by Famous when dead (original post).

Morrissey's Autobiography: The Dream Is Gone but the Book Is Real by Rob Sheffield - RollingStone. Link posted by @RollingStone / Twitter.

Manchester, So Much to Answer For by Sasha Frere-Jones - The New Yorker. Link posted by an anonymous person and also BrummieBoy (original post).

The Morrissey myth by Michael Henderson - The Spectator. Link posted by BrummieBoy (original post).
Not a seer, or a pioneer, or a free spirit — just a bore

Fame, fame, fatal fame by E.H. - Prospero blog / The Economist. Link posted by the_kaz (original post).

Popcast: Morrissey on Morrissey - The New York Times.
Slate’s Jessica Winter and The Times’s Ben Ratliff discuss “Autobiography,” the new memoir by the polarizing British pop star. (25:37 podcast)

Related items:

Last edited:
Wrong about Bowie (factual inaccuracies hardly inspire confidence), wrong about the publishing industry ("a last minute dash to print"), apparently unable to comprehend either the purpose of autobiography or the nature of artists (egocentricity? Wow - what a surprise! What the hell did you expect??), is there anything BrummieBoy and his anonymous sidekick can intelligently and objectively digest without being subject to the usual trollish prejudices about one particular man? There is nothing sadder or more undignified than these last desperate gasps of the dwindling band of trolls who populate this site, stubbornly insisting that black is white: in the face of a book that races to the top of the bestseller chart (obviously not just the acolytes buying it), in the face of a musical legacy that will last longer than this website, in the face of an obsessive worldwide fanbase, still these silly little boys of tiny intellect and enormous jealousy insist that Morrissey's career is over, that he is on the cusp of artistic oblivion, that his fans have deserted him (no evidence, naturally), that he's a vile human being (none of whom know him intimately, of course), that he "can't write" (an odd claim given that he's the one with the bestselling book and one of the greatest back catalogues of lyrics in the history of pop music). Face it, boys - you are WRONG, plain and simple. And that's not opinion, that's fact. While you may get a momentary thrill out of acting as though you alone have the "true" insight and unbiased perspective, it's clear to all that precisely the opposite is true: you are more prejudiced, more biased, more unwilling to see the bigger picture than all those "he can do no wrong" fruitloops at whom you frequently sneer.

The only mystery, as always, is - if you truly despise a pop star to this ridiculous extent (itself a rather sad and infantile pose to adopt), is it really a meaningful and dignified use of your time to spend hours and hours on here, churning out endlessly repetitive, rambling, angry prose in support of your hatred and prejudice? What exactly do you hope to achieve by this? You never succeed in "proving" your point, you only succeed in demonstrating that you CARE enough to devote so many hours, so regularly, to such wasteful, undignified industry and to so little effect. I don't think any other artist on the planet inspires such a small, but dedicated (and impotent) group of haters, and such polarised opinion is of course emblematic of greatness. No one walks away from great art and great artists merely muttering "It was ok..."

You can't write prose either! Did you ghost-write "Autobogography"? That's a LONG paragraph!

The dwindling band of trolls are the 'fans'. Many ridiculous books race to the top of sales charts. Not on the cusp of artistic oblivion, he's gone over the cliff. His fans will never desert him because they're mentally ill cult casualties as are fans (fanatics) of any purchased consumer products and experiences under hyper-capitalism. Morrissey dismisses numerous people as 'vile' without knowing them, so why shouldn't others dismiss him? He's vile.

He can't write prose, his lyrics were startling at the outset but are now largely ridiculous. Any moral judgement is an opinion, it can never be a fact. My analysis of Morrissey and his fans is prescient, path-finding, proportionate and entirely appropriate given the troll provocations on offer in interview, lyric and now, ahem, "prose".

There's no mystery. Not about Morrissey. I do this because it amuses me to do so. I don't despise Morrissey, just his troll-stupidity and face-time-attention seeking behaviours. I really don't CARE as much as you seem to think. I spend hours playing Solitaire, this means about as much in the grand scheme of things. I'm a trained stenographer, it doesn't take me long at all, and it something to do whilst having my knob sucked.

Lots of ridiculous pop stars inspire criticism, but most don't have a site that hosts discussion under genuine free speech / 1st Amendment values like this one tries to adhere to. Try 'criticising' Paul McCartney or Leonard Cohen and the same cult zombies emerge, usually running the sites and deleting anything that isn't 'on message' to some daft hagiography script.

It isn't 'great art'. "Autobigraphy" is anything but great art. It's a facsimile of art, a mish-mash of Outsider poseur personas rehashed and sanitised for the masses. It's bread & circus herd culture trivia posing as radical. Like most popular culture, so it's nothing personal about Morrissey. I actually find him amusing, like a zany kid in class.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Lots of art now considered 'great' was merely considered OK when it appeared. Have you heard of Van Gogh? *rollseyes* Have you actually read the book? Why do you bother replying to me rather than sing it's praises? Why don't you just put me on 'ignore'? I'd be very relaxed if almost everyone here did the same. I'm not interested in your opinion, nor that of most here. And I'm not really interested in Morrissey's opinions other than as a petri-dish of poisons to observe whilst researching the collapse of Industrial Civilisation. I assure you, I have more important topics. This is just light relief, like a wank.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 4

Oh Brummie Boy, I hate agreeing with your overall assessment of Morrissey..but I do. I feel let down by him; that about sums up my feelings about him.

I've loved his songs for so many years, but I can't love the person any longer. (As a fan of Lou Reed and David Bowie I'm no stranger to having to separate the man from the music). To admit that someone you love and admire does not seem to be a decent human being is heartbreaking. Those awful words 'devious, truculent, and unreliable' may be more accurate than I would want to believe...

P.S. Please be careful in Rebellion Boots Bar...not a place for the faint-hearted...

P.P.S Cannock Chase is a great place to take your dog for a ramble...not sure about the people though...

There's no reason why folk can't enjoy the music whilst ignoring the disturbed personality that makes it. It's just a consumer project, unless you buy into the star/guru/healer/messiah claptrap.

I'm always careful, no glove, no love, etc. I'm also fine dogging on Cannock Chase, but never take my dog, he'd be shocked at the carry on...

I've no idea why Morrissey cares what some judge thinks about him. Why is he concerned about what opinion the British Establishment form of him? And resorting to their laws is hardly the act of a rebel, the very opposite, as he seems to crave mainstream acceptance and endorsement. A bit daft, to put it mildly, given the pose he strikes.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you :sweet:

The cult casualty love-in continues. Who is surprised?

As BB's newly-appointed anonymous sidekick, I shall address this rather odd post. First the tone: you write in the fashion of a psychotic drunkard at 8 am, just before popping his pyjamas off (his clothes) and sliding/wobbling naked into an unmade bed, having just spent the wee hours blaming the entire world for his predicament. Only, you're doing it all on Mozzer's behalf. Accusations of bitterness and jealousy directed at critics of this laughable book are hilariously inappropriate given the bitterness/jealousy/delusions of grandeur evidently smeared like peanut butter across much of his writing.''

The last thing he needs is useful idiots like you reinforcing his aberrant worldview and self-image.

The book is mediocrity itself. Period.

Careful now! They will be at your door with torches and pitchforks! Excellent summary of the state of play. And no, you are not me and I am not you because "How could anybody possibly know how a narcissist feels, except each individual narcissist?". Etc.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not. It's great.

Morrissey Is Not Great, only Grating.

- - - Updated - - -

A 460 pages TTY statement...

followed by an addendum TTY statement: "I am not a homosexual, but forget to make that clear in the previous 460 pages. My bad!"

Okay BrummieBoy, you got my attention (usually I skip over your posts, LOL.) I myself never understood why Moz would not be vegan, but I do just love his opposition to meat eaters and I agree with him; meat eaters are a-holes. Now, I never heard about Jessie's birthday, but I've had problems as an employee in the past where fatso workers used MY BIRTHDAY as an excuse to consume non-vegan cake. That kind of ignorance always disgusted me. Are you saying Moz gave Jessie a non-vegan cake or he simply gave him no cake at all? To me, the latter is not offensive at all. Birthday celebrations are kind of stupid. :D

Jessie refused to eat the cake that the tour company provided because it contained eggs and dairy. Whilst animal flesh is banned from tour catering, the torture/slaughter foods of dairy and eggs are acceptable to Morrissey, as is the footage of dairy cows during "Meat Is Murder". He hasn't joined up the dots..after several decades.

I'm curious whether you've ever had anything published. In book form or otherwise.
If you are a professional writer then I'm amazed at how much time you have to put into your posts here.

Jessie refused to eat the cake that the tour company provided because it contained eggs and dairy. Whilst animal flesh is banned from tour catering, the torture/slaughter foods of dairy and eggs are acceptable to Morrissey, as is the footage of dairy cows during "Meat Is Murder". He hasn't joined up the dots..after several decades.

careful now! They will be at your door with torches and pitchforks! Excellent summary of the state of play. And no, you are not me and i am not you because "how could anybody possibly know how a narcissist feels, except each individual narcissist?". Etc.

- - - updated - - -

morrissey is not great, only grating.

- - - updated - - -

followed by an addendum tty statement: "i am not a homosexual, but forget to make that clear in the previous 460 pages. My bad!"

actually i will post one more time.... Hes not gay...

I'm curious whether you've ever had anything published. In book form or otherwise.
If you are a professional writer then I'm amazed at how much time you have to put into your posts here.

Nothing published. Yet. Probably all posthumous.

I'm a professional existentialist. Writing's part of that. I don't put much time into these posts. I'm bored of telling folk I'm a trained Canon Law stenographer, though the RSI is playing up a bit now in my 50s.

Really serious artists don't pander to the rabble of herd culture. I hardly need validation from critics who are wrong about nearly everything, nor do I need 'fans' or money or status. I'm sorted. It's a wonderful life. Why ruin it just to be another clown on the stage?

Most of this is dictated and typed up by The Secretary or some scantily clad intern whilst I do the day trading Zero Hedge stuff here in Mom's Basement at the top security mental hospital, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=columnists&issue=1351

Private Eye (issue 1351) claims that Morrissey's contract with Penguin stipulated a condition of a minimum 24 books per order for shops - even small independent shops. And suggests that such practice is not the norm.

Well, I just popped out for milk (soya, not torture-slaughter dairy) and still no sign of his book in Morrisons. So, beyond the idle chatterati class, the book doesn't even exist, which is a great relief for them. If they knew what genius it contains as they buy their crap pulp fiction and celebrity memoirs. Oh God! Lou Reed has died and the great supermarket unwashed "Chris/Christine Cowsheds" don't know or care, about Lou, or about Morrissey's Penguin Classic (sic). No wonder Moz can't bear to be domiciled in the UK for tax purposes, with such ungrateful "clueless consumers" wot didn't buy "Kid's A Looker" even when it was given away as a freebie add-on. Oh, God! Smite this planet with asteroids!

Last edited:
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=columnists&issue=1351

Private Eye (issue 1351) claims that Morrissey's contract with Penguin stipulated a condition of a minimum 24 books per order for shops - even small independent shops. And suggests that such practice is not the norm.

and:

"With Bookworm: "The case of Morrissey’s memoirs, published this week, suggests that dealing with pop stars turns normally mature and rational editors into panting, self-abasing teenage fans, prepared to offer or allow anything to their gods even if shame is the price. Not one but two top-flight publishers have been humiliated since it emerged that the former Smiths frontman had a sizeable typescript for sale…”

Well I agree with you there. Moz really dropped the ball, especially when vegan organic cakes are so delectable. Yum! I didn't even know Jessie was a vegan rock star. Awesome!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom