Back On The Chain Gang - Morrissey Central; Recorded in LA, musicians credited, Chiccarelli produced

Solomon Walker playing bass on BOTCG
And Roger Manning on keyboards...

Back On The Chain Gang - Morrissey Central
April 2, 2018

42719_back_on_the_chain_gang.png

Morrissey has concluded recording at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles for Back On The Chain Gang. The song was written by Chrissie Hynde and was released by The Pretenders in 1982 when it reached number 17 in the UK, and number 5 in the USA.Joe Chiccarelli has produced Morrissey’s Back On The Chain Gang, and the musicians are: Jesse Tobias (guitars), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums), with Roger Manning on keyboards.Morrissey is hoping for a summer release for the single.
Morrissey is presently number 1 with My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, and number 4 with Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage in the UK vinyl singles chart.

Posted by Famous when dead:

Source appears to be an uncredited war time picture:

42720_back_on_the_chain_gang_original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam couldn't even get the right font for that atrocity of a sleeve. Where is BMG?

EDIT: More importantly, recorded without Boz?

Well, April 2nd's update is interesting:

20180402_030654.png

9a55f0f9b2bcd0b29b89a3db5ce935ff.jpg

"Morrissey has concluded recording at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles for Back On The Chain Gang. The song was written by Chrissie Hynde and was released by The Pretenders in 1982 when it reached number 17 in the UK, and number 5 in the USA. Joe Chiccarelli has produced Morrissey’s Back On The Chain Gang, and the musicians are: Jesse Tobias (guitars), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums), with Roger Manning on keyboards. Morrissey is hoping for a summer release for the single.
Morrissey is presently number 1 with My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, and number 4 with Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage in the UK vinyl singles chart."

I don't know if I have the energy to be critical of any of the above.
The cover, as presented, is...
Well, the incoming comments will assess it thoroughly I suspect.
Look at all those new songs he's not recording too.
I guess that 'deluxe edition' wasn't as important as a Pretenders cover and great way to subvert the live recordings pattern.
I could go on about the band and how they've been doing other things besides studio time etc...
But, what do I know? Mando has been in LA since Mexico - so using Solomon is plain odd.
Just more uncertainty, lack of openness and a hint of 'wilderness' creeping in.
If we are being trolled, it's being well done with poor materials.
What a time to run out of wine.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

View attachment 44211

View attachment 44212

"Morrissey has concluded recording at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles for Back On The Chain Gang. The song was written by Chrissie Hynde and was released by The Pretenders in 1982 when it reached number 17 in the UK, and number 5 in the USA. Joe Chiccarelli has produced Morrissey’s Back On The Chain Gang, and the musicians are: Jesse Tobias (guitars), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums), with Roger Manning on keyboards. Morrissey is hoping for a summer release for the single.
Morrissey is presently number 1 with My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, and number 4 with Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage in the UK vinyl singles chart."

I guess that 'deluxe edition' wasn't as important as a Pretenders cover and great way to subvert the live recordings pattern.
I could go on about the band and how they've been doing other things besides studio time etc...
But, what do I know?
Regards,
FWD.

New musicians?

New musicians?
Solomon left in 2014 after being placed on 'compassionate leave' - replaced by Mando.
Manning played on Quarry & YOR (at the end of the sessions when Mike left)
Regards,
FWD.

They have songs that were great but were not singles that would suit him much better in my opinion. I'd like to hear him sing "I Go To Sleep" or "English Roses," much more than this.

I have to admit that he's done okay without my input so far but listen to these songs if you're not familiar and I think you'll be able to hear how well they would work for him.

Does Morrissey not realize that his original songs are so much better than the covers? (Although, I do appreciate "To Give is the Reason I Live.") Morrissey is so obsessed with music he may not even realize that his own talent surpasses that of the artists he appreciates. Oh well.

(Re: his message. I just love when Moz tells off the idiots!)

#iHeartMOZ

View attachment 44211

View attachment 44212

But, what do I know? Mando has been in LA since Mexico - so using Solomon is plain odd.
Regards,
FWD.

Holy cow I just realized Boz is not among “the musicians “ - that much I care for him -
I sincerely think that mando and gustavo not playing BOTCG has nothing to do with their geographical location or schedule.
I think it’s just a Morrissey thing..
or not.
The plot thickens! o_O

View attachment 44211

View attachment 44212

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks for the information, FWD. What a strange photo for the cover. It looks like he’s extracting blackheads. Is he championing aestheticians on the chain gang? Strange place for a facial. Other ideas, All?

Looks like it's true.
Joe's Instagram:
('Liked' by Jesse).

20180402_060521.jpg
20180402_060458.jpg

He's also mentioned Roger Manning several times at the beginning of March on Twitter.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
They have songs that were great but were not singles that would suit him much better in my opinion. I'd like to hear him sing "I Go To Sleep" or "English Roses," much more than this.

I have to admit that he's done okay without my input so far but listen to these songs if you're not familiar and I think you'll be able to hear how well they would work for him.

I Go To Sleep! Yes! Yes! Yes! Much better song choice!

Let's be honest, all Boz does is strum along the chords. I'm sure the band could easily cope without him in studio if he was busy doing other stuff (didn't he leave the 'Low in High School' recording sessions way earlier than everyone else anyway?)

Nevertheless, it is something of a first if Morrissey is going to issue something without Boz's involvement for the first time since 1991.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom