BBC- Anyone know anything aboust

Please

Were any vinyl records ever printed for the smiths with the bbc logo on in black and written horizonatlly on the label?

Also white label test pressing - would test pressings still have the etchings on them or are these promos?

Cheers

I posted this response about 6 weeks ago:

2 different BBC transcription discs were pressed; the Oxford Apollo show which is where the That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore live b-sides came from and the Kilburn National Ballroom, which was later pared down and released as Rank.

I don't know how many were made. The discs were leased to overseas radio stations and were supposed to have destroyed them or sent them back. They are technically still property of the BBC and cannot be advertised for sale in the British Record Collector magazine, for example.

Value would be $300-$500.

Many transcription discs have been heavily counterfeited... I have yet to see a counterfeit Smiths transcription disc.

Real transcription discs have a white label with predominantly green, and some black print. They open from the left side.

Most fakes open from the right and have a white label with black print.

A test pressing which mirrors a commercially released pressing will have the same etchings on them, as they were born from the same stamper. There are variations of test pressings which never made it to the commercial stage, however.

I posted this about the pressing process about 6 weeks ago:

To make a vinyl test pressing you have to make an acetate, cover it in silver, electroplate it in nickel, make a master, which is then used to make a mother, which is then used to make stampers, which is then used to make a test pressing.

Last edited:
I posted this response about 6 weeks ago:

2 different BBC transcription discs were pressed; the Oxford Apollo show which is where the That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore live b-sides came from and the Kilburn National Ballroom, which was later pared down and released as Rank.

I don't know how many were made. The discs were leased to overseas radio stations and were supposed to have destroyed them or sent them back. They are technically still property of the BBC and cannot be advertised for sale in the British Record Collector magazine, for example.

Value would be $300-$500.

Many transcription discs have been heavily counterfeited... I have yet to see a counterfeit Smiths transcription disc.

Real transcription discs have a white label with predominantly green, and some black print. They open from the left side.

Most fakes open from the right and have a white label with black print.

A test pressing which mirrors a commercially released pressing will have the same etchings on them, as they were born from the same stamper. There are variations of test pressings which never made it to the commercial stage, however.

I posted this about the pressing process about 6 weeks ago:

To make a vinyl test pressing you have to make an acetate, cover it in silver, electroplate it in nickel, make a master, which is then used to make a mother, which is then used to make stampers, which is then used to make a test pressing.

Thankyou that has made things alot clearer i think i know what i have now

Back
Top Bottom