BBW's: empowerment or mockery?

Excuse my ignorance, but what are BBWs?

It stands for Big Beautiful Woman.

It shows up a lot in personal ads/on-line dating sites.

I think the term originally was meant for Rubenesque women but has basically become synonymous with obese. Women often call themselves a BBW as a way to embrace who they are rather than hide from it. It's not intended to be a pejorative term but it has in some ways become one for fattists to use.

EDIT: Sorry pensfold, I'm not a BBW. I shouldn't have responded.

Last edited:

I think the term originally was meant for Rubenesque women but has basically become synonymous with obese. Women often call themselves a BBW as a way to embrace who they are rather than hide from it. It's not intended to be a pejorative term but it has in some ways become one for fattists to use.

EDIT: Sorry pensfold, I'm not a BBW. I shouldn't have responded.

its okay ithink i mislead some in my original post. this is about bbw's. any commentary is good.

I see, thanks for clearing up my confusion. :)

Oh my God Becky LOOK at her butt!!...

[youtube]2ImZTwYwCug&feature[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
WELL...

I have been on both sides of the issue.

At my heaviest I weighed 290 and at my thinnest 140.

The BBW movement was started in order to help women of size accept and love themselves unconditionally, no matter what weight they were or wished to be.

It promotes self empowerment that is often denied larger people within the confides of "normal" society.

The BBW philosophy promotes several key ideals - women are are encouraged to have healthy lifestyles, practice self care and love, but more importantly it gives people of size a sense of dignity that is often taken away by mainstream culture. The bottom line is - love yourself no matter what size you are.

I have experienced the way people treated me before and after I lost weight - it was like I was on another planet. Disturbing and very sad.

I wish I had embraced some of their ideals when I was losing weight - it would have made it a lot easier for me to go through if would have had some encouragement.

Right now I am at 220 - losing and getting back to my normal weight of 160-175 - I wear a size 6-8 American at that point. Truth be told some people would consider me a BBW at that weight. I am losing weight for health reasons only, not because I want to fit into a smaller size.

And, what I mean by BBW is this -not being a fat slob - think people of walmart. I am talking Kristen Wren and Queen Latifa....

There is a difference.

So, there you have it - It is a good thing... agree disagree?? :D

true - in some ways it is but looking
At the way large people have been treated
And have been part of both sides

It is empowering to a certain extent - but
Overweight people have never been equal In anything
When it comes to mainstream culture

Recognizing that large people have rights too
Is the first step - we are still years away
From being equal - even seperately

As far as the fetish issues . There are all