Beethoven Was Deaf: those were the days

Morrissey does do a lot of his songs on a slower tempo,which sometimes actually slaughters his songs, especially "Smiths" songs. "Sister I'm A Poet" is a fast upbeat song but the last time he played the song, it was slower than walking pace.
One question I want to know: Does Mike Joyce get royalities from Morrissey singing Smiths songs? Because I know he used to have certain royalities on Smiths albums.

That Joyce-character can't possibly get royalties for Mozzer playing Smiths songs. How would that be? He never wrote anything.

Morrissey does do a lot of his songs on a slower tempo,which sometimes actually slaughters his songs, especially "Smiths" songs. "Sister I'm A Poet" is a fast upbeat song but the last time he played the song, it was slower than walking pace.
One question I want to know: Does Mike Joyce get royalities from Morrissey singing Smiths songs? Because I know he used to have certain royalities on Smiths albums.

I doubt it, I think his royalties are just for Joyce's performances. He isn't listed as a songwriter. Singing cover songs at concerts is free, it's when you sell a cover version on an official DVD or CD that royalties get paid. It's all fairly moot, as there are only a few recent Morrissey recordings AFAIK that have any Smiths covers (M in Manchester, and MAYBE bonus material here and there.

Those days was very important in Morrissey's career, but I don't think they were the best ones. They are one of the best days.. I admit he had found good players to work together In the recent years Morrissey's been doing a good work and I'm gonna say that 'til I'm blue in my face. I also admit I'd rather cut some years off from his career, but when someone say that everything that was done after BWD is awful I cannot agree. YoR, YATQ and even RoTT are good album show up to us a wonderful moment of Morrissey.

Had a very big Moz weekend with the iPod and felt compelled to write!

Let's get a few things straight:
1. I'm not here to bash the Man
2. I've been a huge fan for many, many years
3. I read all the stuff about setlists, performances, cancellations etc
4. I know he's 50+ now

BUT:

I know that M sees himself still as a proper recording artist, and quite rightly. So it's only correct that he should 'tour the new record' etc. I acknowledge that he is not the Morrissey of 1987 onwards, not least of all he is much older. But I listened to BWD for the first time in some time over the weekend and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I always have said that in the 5 albums allowed on my desert island, V&I would be the first one in te case...but I'm not so sure. On the basis that my live music experience would then be over, I wonder if having both Moz and the live sound would be better? BWD is MAGNIFICENT. But it left me lamenting the fact that never again do I feel I will see Morrissey, and more importantly his band, play like that again. And I have seen it, and I miss it. It's not just the setlist thing, it's the WAY they play. Alain and Boz on twin duelling guitars was unbelievable. There was bite and fervour, anger and excitemtn. They played FAST but not too fast. Songs came alive on stage, the energy was palpable. I'm afraid I rather see today's M and Band as a Morrissey tribute band. Proficiently getting through the numbers without bringing that passion, energy and intangible element to what it means to be swept along at a gig. The setlist thing IS an issue for me. New record? Fine, 'justified'. Stuff from YATQ, ROTT, understandable. But listen to BWD and you almost wonder how he can bear NOT to play stuff from BD, from YA etc. I know he DOES occasionally drop in an old tune or two (Disappointed in the last few years, Playboy etc) but he seems to have turned his back on the rockabilly glory that is Certain People I know, Glamorous Glue etc. I guess it might be a question of his 50 year old voice struggling to cope with some of that stuff - completely reasonable if the case. I don't actually like November...particularly. But I could listen to the BWD version all day, it is STUNNING. Power, power, power. And when they strike up WHIWOFBS as the closer...OMG. I'm one of those whingers who feel strongly that Smiths songs really have no place in his live armoury any more. That was a different band. I know it's unreasonable to expect him to be like he was so long ago, but I'm just sad that I'll never again get the excitement that I did at Aston Villa, at Battersea. Satan rejected my soul? I heard it once, it was incredible. I guess I should just count myself lucky. I know it's all down to taste. I guess what I'm trying to say is how frustrating it is that M doesn't seem to hear what I hear in some of his back catalogue, or he would want to play those magnificent songs as often as he could.

Discuss

love
Ben

i personally think that, although i agree that beethoven is a great album, the best live stuff is the hollywood bowl cd. i think mikey made a massive difference and those songs stand out to me.

BWD is a great album from great period, however almost everything that was released after this album is as wonderful as it. I turn the music up when BWD is playing.

oh, and matt walker is incredible. i honestly think he is the best drummer morrissey has worked with.

I love Matt's drumming style too. Plus, he has a long and impressive resume of many years of drumming for various well-known bands. He's fairly established and successful as a career drummer.

oh, and matt walker is incredible. i honestly think he is the best drummer morrissey has worked with.

Agreed. As I'm sure most of your would disagree, I think Jesse is a better performer than Alain. But recording artist? maybe.

Oh please stop. I am dying.
Alain is and will probably always be Mozzer's best guitarist since Johnny, both on stage and in the studio. Not to mention at "the writing desk".
Jesse is more or less talentless, on stage or off.
"The Walker Brothers" are the most foul rhythm-section he's ever worked with. Together with Jesse they form a trio of beauty-destroyers.

Okay, I'm being quite harsh here. But still. I speak the truth.

I can't really comment on the live aspect of it, seeing as my only live Morrissey experience so far has been 5 minutes of song and youtube videos, so I'll skip over that part. :o I am also not really clued up about the actual musical side of things, so again I can't comment on which collaborators I think are better.

However, I do have an idea about why opinions of Morrissey's solo albums varies so widely among fans. Obviously there are many reasons, but this could contribute to it:

I think a lot of it has to do with how and when you've experienced Morrissey as an evolving artist. For example, I've only been aware of his music (both Smiths and solo, although the discoveries were a few months apart) since about a year ago. When I became a proper fan of his solo work, Years Of Refusal had just come out- therefore, it's become quite sentimentally important to me and I'm a very strong defendant of both YOR (which is actually my favourite right now) and the last few records. It just feels more... now to me, because it's the only way I've actually experienced Morrissey as a current artist.

Of course this far from the only reason for preferences- people like different lyrical and musical styles and the 'image' of Morrissey through the ages for various reasons, and that obviously makes a contribution. Still, I do think that sentimental value and the time they started listening to him are also quite significant in many people's choice of their 'favourite albums'.

Or am I just talking rubbish?

Back
Top Bottom