Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at the drop of a hat"

Interesting comment from Bernard Butler, ex-Suede, in this month's Mojo. Referring to his dis-interest in re-unions he says:

I've always told Johnny [Marr], Don't reform The Smiths. Morrissey would do it at the drop of a hat, and he'd have Rick and Bruce, as he calls them, in cages at the back."

I've no idea how well Bernard knows Moz or Johnny, but it's interesting that he reckons Moz could be so easily persuaded to get up on stage with Andy and Mike again.

Last edited by a moderator:
news or gossip?

why is it 'interesting'? his opinion is as worthwhile, valuable and relevant as my next door neighbour's. shall i ask her what she thinks about a smiths reformation and report back?

Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr and great friends, actually. One may assume that when Bernard was handpicked to present Johnny Marr his achievement in music award last year that they may be great friends, but that's only part of it. They met originally in 1993. Bernard spoke of Johnny being his primary influence and reason he's a guitarist. (others are Lou Reed of the Velvet Underground and New Oder as a whole). Johnny's been to Bernard's home in Highgate, but Johnny likes and respects Bernard and his playing so much, he GAVE Bernard TWO of his most valuable guitars: a 1959 Original, Authentic Gibson ES355 that he actually used on some of your favourite Smiths records.... And his 1966 Sunburst Gibson ES335. Both are very, very valuable. Click on these guitar thumbnails to read from Marr himself. The funny thing about the U.K. I noticed is that fans let personalities get in the way of an artist's work. They don't like him for leaving Suede, or for his brashness, or for having sold out to produce Duffy. Whatever the reason, he's one of the best, most inventive guitarists in the world since 1990 especially. He's created a couple of masterpieces. Who cares is he's not a sweetheart? He's so passionate about The Smiths... Very, very passionate. I cannot help to agree with him. The Smiths, as a thing, are absolutely perfect. I really don't want to see them as they look now reforming, especially for something like Coachella!! Here's Johnny's site/link: http://johnny-marr.com/guitarchestrajohnnymarr/guitarchestrajohnnymarr.html

Re: Article: Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at the drop o

news or gossip?

why is it 'interesting'? his opinion is as worthwhile, valuable and relevant as my next door neighbour's. shall i ask her what she thinks about a smiths reformation and report back?

Please do. I would be genuinely interested to hear her response. Could you also ask her if she prefers Tony the Pony or Journalists Who Lie? Cheers.

Re: Article: Bernard Butler reckons Morrissey would re-form The Smiths "at the drop o

Whatever the reason, he's one of the best, most inventive guitarists in the world since 1990 especially.

Stone Gossard is better.

Stone Gossard is better.

I said "One of the best"... Though they're different completely in that Bernard is a Lead Guitarist, who writes lead parts, melodies, etc. - Stone Gossard is a Rhythm Guitarist and Jeff wrote most of the music... I've seen Pearl Jam many, many times because they tour California really, really often... They were fantastic live when I say them supporting "Ten" and then "Vs." and then "Vitalogy". Old school authentic concert band.. But recently, it's not the same to see them live... So i get where you're coming from... But when it comes to being "Inventive", Bernard Butler and Graham Coxon are the ones for me... For someone sort of current, Russell Lissack is very good... Probably a bit of a different league than those 3 above though. I noticed too that minutes after I wrote this original comment, someone basically plagiarized it in the Forum section...

Butler is a bit out of sight, in the musicmags, so talking about
the Smiths reunion will give him exposure

actually he could better talk about if he's working on new
tracks with Brett , or was that a 1 time project:confused:

Anyway Butler would be a fine guest/co-writer for some
songs on the suposed new album from Morrissey

but

the caged men will never be on stage with M&M, as
a Smiths reunion will never happen

What Bernard knows about Morrissey you could write on the back of an ants leg. All he knows is what Marr tells him and what he has gleaned from being a fan-as far as I can tell
Marr has also given Noel G a couple of guitars.
Its all very boring the "serious guitarist" v's "the ego maniac singer". The truth is Brett wrote more of the music in Suede than he was ever given credit for and if you look at what Bernard has done post Suede its no great shakes- which is why he a Brett got back together for the Tears (which sounded like Suede).

All these guitarists bitch and wine about their ex partners BUT look at the big three Marr,Butler and Squire not one of them has come close to equalling either the artistic success or otherwise of their former band or the singers from their old band.

Its well documented from various sources that Morrissey refuses to reform the Smiths or even do anything with Johnny, where as Johnny has said a few times in interviews that he is open to it or words to that effect.

Butler seems to me is a talented boy but somewhat backward

Last edited:
Sounds like he's trying to big his mate (Marr) up at the expense of Morrissey. A lot of Marr's so called mates have played this game over the years. It's a bit childish and makes you wonder about the company Marr keeps.

They were fantastic live when I say them supporting "Ten" and then "Vs." and then "Vitalogy". Old school authentic concert band.. But recently, it's not the same to see them live...

They turned to shit after drummer Dave Abbruzzese was fired. Amazing how much a drummer means to a band, just look at Bill Berry and Boris Williams too.

They were fantastic live when I say them supporting "Ten" and then "Vs." and then "Vitalogy". Old school authentic concert band.. But recently, it's not the same to see them live....

They turned to shit after drummer Dave Abbruzzese was fired. Most people usually overlook the importance of a drummer to a band. Just look at Bill Berry and Boris Williams...

...and some would even say Spencer Cobrin.

Well... I'm not agreeing with Bernard Butler at all.. I think any chance of Morrissey wanting to re-form the Smiths died with the suing by Mike Joyce. I think Morrissey would never reform the Smiths ever, and I'm thankful for that.

Again with Bernard Butler, w have to leave the personality aside. Brett Anderson wrote a lot of Suede's music, but beginning with a song called "Asda Town", a month after Bernard left, etc.

I don't judge Bernard for the way things went down because at the time, it was a reaction to his father passing away. I've never experiencd that and would imagine if that happened, it would be tough to cope with any sort of challenge. You sometimes react poorly. But he's a great guitarist.

The Tears, yeah, that was a bit of a "miss". Good music, whiney vocals. Which is a PRIME, PRIME example that reunions shouldn't happen. The Smiths have this 5-star albums and a few 5-star compilations (NOT talking best ofs, talking LOUDER THAN BOMBS, HATFUL OF HOLLOW). We don't want a new Smiths record called "The Circus and The Monkey" getting a 2 1/2 star review, tarnishing that legacy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom