Best debut album

Generation Terrorists could have been on there too, but in my opinion it needed a few less songs. Still a great album though. Most bands never record something as great as Motorcycle Emptiness, let alone on their debut.

Ive just been downloading a few of MSP's live gigs over the last couple of nights. One of my favourite songs of there's is Some Kind Of Nothingness which features Ian McCulloch from the Postcards from A Young Man album.

Ive just been downloading a few of MSP's live gigs over the last couple of nights. One of my favourite songs of there's is Some Kind Of Nothingness which features Ian McCulloch from the Postcards from A Young Man album.
Actually I said in another thread that the only person I could think of that is still as good, if not better than when they started was Nick Cave. I’m adding the Manics to that, they’ve gotten better with age. The last 2 albums, in particular Futurology, are fantastic.

I forgot to add, Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Foxy Lady...
Love Jimi Hendrix, or should I say James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix, who was actually born Johnny Allen Hendrix.
Not a lot of ppl bother to know that.

Yes Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures

Also ...

Morrissey

The Sundays

Sinead O’Conor

Older best debuts...

Velvet Underground

Patti Smith’s Horses

I don’t really think of The Smiths and Suedes first albums as great debuts. Along with Kate Bush’s first.. these records have really great songs on them, but compared to their other releases their debuts can fall a little short in places, this for me usually has to do with the sound/production, usually artists don’t have the budget with their first release, meaning, the record company is not sure yet in wanting to make the investment, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yes Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures

Also ...

Morrissey

The Sundays

Sinead O’Conor

Older best debuts...

Velvet Underground

Patti Smith’s Horses

I don’t really think of The Smiths and Suedes first albums as great debuts. Along with Kate Bushes first.. these records have really great songs on them, but compared to their other releases their debuts can fall a little short in places, this for me usually has to do with the sound/production, usually artists don’t have the budget with their first release, meaning, the record company is not sure yet in wanting to make the investment, unfortunately.
Fair point, but it wasn’t about bands/singers best overall albums, it was best debut albums. I personally think The Smiths is only their 3rd best (out of the studio albums), but it’s their only debut album!

Fair point, but it wasn’t about bands/singers best overall albums, it was best debut albums. I personally think The Smiths is only their 3rd best (out of the studio albums), but it’s their only debut album!

Yeah, I’m only talking about debuts,
not bands/singers best overall albums.

Yeah I know, I was just referencing your point about debuts falling short of later releases. I wasn’t having a go.

Crossed wires.

Ok. I was just saying the sound of a debut is important to me in determining if I would consider it a great or best debut or not. Totally subjective.

Just think the sound on the first Smiths and Suede records aren’t that great, though the songs are.

I’d also like to add to my
best older debuts list ...

New York Dolls

And how did I forget .....

Suicide !

:rock:

Not my favorite debut. But the first Ramones should be on a best debut list simply because of its importance at the time.

Oh just remembered ......

The Slits

another great debut.

Not my favorite debut. But the first Ramones should be on a best debut list simply because of its importance at the time.

Oh just remembered ......

The Slits

another great debut.

Forgot about The Ramones - agree with you. I saw them live a couple of times. My wife came to the 2nd one but left early, she said they were so loud it felt like her were bleeding.:ROFLMAO:

One of my favourites which I still listen to regularly, I alluded to it in another thread;
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (debuted 2006), which was followed up by another excellent album, Favourite Worst Nightmare (2007). I think they both went straight in at @ No.1, as most of their albums did/do.

Their debut is ok. Lyrically, I hear a similarity with The Libertines, and, like The Libertines, there's a few going nowhere tracks. I bet... is a good track. Dancing Shoes too. When the sun goes down starts off great. It doesn't top the intro. A Certain Romance is probably the best track on the album. The intro is terrible. Once that ends it gets a lot better.

It isn't a great album.

Going by the criteria of great debut albums and not necessarily a band best album, I would add:

Tears for Fears - The Hurting
Dexy's Midnight runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Deacon blue - Rain Town
Dio - Holy Diver
James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
The Courteeners - At Jude
Soft Cell -Non Stop Erotic Cabernet

Last edited:
Going by the criteria of great debut albums and not necessarily a band best album, I would add:

Tears for Fears - The Hurting
Dexy's Midnight runners - Searching for the Young Soul Rebels
Deacon blue - Rain Town
Dio - Holy Diver
James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
The Courteeners - At Jude
Soft Cell -Non Stop Erotic Cabernet
I can't believe i forgot Raintown. I love Deacon Blue. In fact I was meant to be seeing them live this month but it's been knocked back a year.

Back
Top Bottom