Best film/documentary about Moz?

What, in your opinion, is the best film or documentary about Morrissey? I've seen a few but I'm sure I haven't seen them all - looking for some input. Thanks!

I watched The Importance of Being Morrissey a couple of weeks ago for the first time in ages, and it's still great.

I watched The Importance of Being Morrissey a couple of weeks ago for the first time in ages, and it's still great.

I especially love that doco because it has a good chunk of Australia in it (as in the forgotten ones) and seeing him brought out by the band as pallbearers from the front row is something I never get tired of.

I especially love that doco because it has a good chunk of Australia in it (as in the forgotten ones) and seeing him brought out by the band as pallbearers from the front row is something I never get tired of.

Your recent comment about having attended that show is what made me want to watch it again!

I just liked seeing inside his house, although his kitchen countertops were atrocious.

If we could actually see SOUTH WITH MORRISSEY, I think we'd be able to decide.

If we could actually see SOUTH WITH MORRISSEY, I think we'd be able to decide.

The trailer is on YouTube and a big debate if his teeth really looked that bad or if it was the grainy film.

This one.

Ha! Cool. I'm the baseball tee on the front row with the white sleeve and green shirt :)

I'm gonna have to watch and play "I Spy" tonight :)

Speaking of films, I was thinking how great it would be if one of the dates on this upcoming tour was filmed professionally for preservation

ive never really enjoyed any of the morrissey docs though some of the performance stuff is good. really like the books of course (the rogan one with the meaning behind every smiths and morrissey song is really good as is the collected interviews)

the one with all the hanging lightbulbs? i totaslly have that

ive never really enjoyed any of the morrissey docs though some of the performance stuff is good. really like the books of course (the rogan one with the meaning behind every smiths and morrissey song is really good as is the collected interviews)
I feel the same way. Although the Importance of Being Morrissey is a must-see for the rare glimpses of Morrissey's pre/post-show routine and the great performance footage, in terms of offering genuine insight and understanding into who Morrissey is as a person in his day-to-day life, it comes across as surface-level and hollow. I know Morrissey considers it an innacurate representation of who he is and has criticized it several times (most recently in his book).

Part of me still holds out hope that South With Morrissey will eventually see the light of day, but realistically the odds are slim.

There's an excellent documentary called Jewel in the Crown, which follows Morrissey's evolution as a solo artist from Viva Hate to the Maladjusted era or thereabouts. It features interviews with Stephen Street, Vini Reilly, Clive Langer, Mark Nevin, and other Moz collaborators as well as various journalists and other talking heads, and delves deeply into the writing and recording process of each album. The focus isn't so much Morrissey the man, but rather his wonderful body of work, with fascinating input from those who were essential to its creation. If you're interested in the more technical aspects of creating music, it's worth watching. Last I checked, the entire documentary was on YouTube.

I was in the front row at the Bauhaus reunion show in 1998 that was filmed for their Gotham DVD. No starring role or anything like that, haha.
I've watched that concert film so many times. It's one of my all-time favorites. I was fortunate enough to see them when they reunited to tour with NIN in 2006, but that '98 reunion show is really something else. Lucky you!

There's an excellent documentary called Jewel in the Crown, which follows Morrissey's evolution as a solo artist from Viva Hate to the Maladjusted era or thereabouts. It features interviews with Stephen Street, Vini Reilly, Clive Langer, Mark Nevin, and other Moz collaborators as well as various journalists and other talking heads, and delves deeply into the writing and recording process of each album. The focus isn't so much Morrissey the man, but rather his wonderful body of work, with fascinating input from those who were essential to its creation. If you're interested in the more technical aspects of creating music, it's worth watching. Last I checked, the entire documentary was on YouTube.

Wow, somehow I've never seen that. Thanks for the tip, I'll watch it this weekend! (Here it is...)

I've watched that concert film so many times. It's one of my all-time favorites. I was fortunate enough to see them when they reunited to tour with NIN in 2006, but that '98 reunion show is really something else. Lucky you!

Yes, very lucky! I was on Danny's side and we passed a cup of red wine back and forth a few times. I wish I'd gone both nights, but I was close to broke at the time. I didn't see them with NIN, but I did see them a second time right before that tour (I think late 2005?). I hope they eventually patch things up and tour again. I think it'll happen. I love solo PM, but Bauhaus are magic.

Back
Top Bottom