Best Morrissey-single of the decade

Your 3 favourite Morrissey-singles of the 00's

• Total voters
Difficult one there Johan!!! In the interests of fairness I went for one from each.

Irish Blood - MOZ is back, wonderful to see him on Top Of The Pops singing "sick to death of Labour and Tories and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell!"

Youngest Was The Most Loved - "There is no such thing in life as normal" sang by an Italian kid's choir, up there with Moz's best moments in a song

Something Is Squeezing My Skull- just fantastic. Unfortunately not reflected in chart positioning

Honorary mentions to I Have Forgiven Jesus, You Have Killed Me and I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

Irish Blood, English Heart
You Have Killed Me
Something Squeezing My Skull

Let Me Kiss You
Something is Squeezing my Skull
First of the Gang to Die

LMKY has grown on me to the point where I think it is one of his best songs overall. SISMS was an instant favorite that hasn't faded, and though FOTGTD sounds disconcertingly like a Swedish entry in the Eurovision song contest, it's won me over in the long run.

cheers

Difficult one there Johan!!! In the interests of fairness I went for one from each.

Irish Blood - MOZ is back, wonderful to see him on Top Of The Pops singing "sick to death of Labour and Tories and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell!"

Youngest Was The Most Loved - "There is no such thing in life as normal" sang by an Italian kid's choir, up there with Moz's best moments in a song

Something Is Squeezing My Skull- just fantastic. Unfortunately not reflected in chart positioning

Honorary mentions to I Have Forgiven Jesus, You Have Killed Me and I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

Good choices, there, I like all of those songs :)

For me it really wasn't very difficult, I'm all Quarry on this one:

1) First Of The Gang To Die
2) I Have Forgiven Jesus
3) Irish Blood, English Heart

Also really like:
4) You Have Killed Me
5) Let Me Kiss You
6) I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
7) Something Is Squeezing My Skull
8) The Youngest Was the Most Loved
9) All You Need Is Me

Less so (his worst ever singles...)
10: That's How People Grow Up
11: In the Future When All's Well
12: I Just Want to See the Boy Happy
13: Redondo Beach/There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (live)

I went with

1. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
2. Irish Blood, English Heart
3. You Have Killed Me

I think "First of the Gang To Die" belongs in there, but for some reason I've always liked "You Have Killed Me" as a better single. Not sure why.

Looking at the list, it was indeed a pretty good decade for Morrissey singles. A few duds in the bunch, but the rest were superb. It's been a good 10 years for the man. What these lists show, and what "Swords" also proved, is that, while a number of his best songs are scattered over the first ten years of his solo career, from 2004-2009 he's probably had his most consistent run of quality-- meaning there were no odd head-scratchers, as there were in earlier periods. Just a solid run of decent-to-great songs with quite a few highs and an uncharacteristic lack of lows. I'm tempted to say 2004-2009 is only rivaled by 1983-1987, if only in terms of his focus and consistency.

Either that or his relationship with his own music reached a steady-state of robust and reliable boredom. :)

Last edited:
Irish Blood, English Heart sets a very high standard and was an obvious pick. After that there is not another obvious choice, in my opinion, though I think First Of The Gang To Die is exceptional as well. I picked All You Need Is Me because I loved hearing it live when it was one of the new songs, and while it might not work as a pop single, I think it's classic Morrissey.

1. Irish Blood, English Heart - just the intro is better than most songs ever written
2. Throwing Arms Around Paris
3. Hard to choose between In the Future and You Have Killed, went for In the Future as love lyrics

1. I Have Forgiven Jesus
2. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
2. Something Is Squeezing My Skull

Were is Mama Lay Softely By The Riverbed? I love that one!!!!

where your picture from, please?

This is really difficult. I can't decide the order of my favourite 3,
Top 3
Let Me Kiss You
First Of The Gang To Die
Irish Blood, English Heart

closely followed by......

All You Need Is Me
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
I Have Forgiven Jesus
You Have Killed Me

like I said, to much choice. we've been very spoilt:D

Re: Something is squeezing...

...my skull is a fantastic song. I like it, but my problem is that I don't catch its meaning...I mean...the lyrics are very simple to understand...but...is there a special message or lecture or comment on today's reality that I'm not able to see?

Look at Something Is Squeezing My Skull race up the charts... ah imagine with a few original b-sides, like a delayed release of My Dearest Love and HIs Desert Island Discs interview on the other before the broadcast and that would have been a Top 30 hit single. For a week.

Seriously missed a trick amongst his fanbase there by the looks of things

I thought you may have chosen Irish Blood, English Heart.

Back
Top Bottom