Best Morrissey-single of the decade

Your 3 favourite Morrissey-singles of the 00's

• Total voters
Let Me Kiss You
I Have Forgiven Jesus
That's How People Grow Up

Hello to everyone! i m new one, from Italy.
my favourite are I HAVE FORGIVEN JESUS
IRISH BLOOD ENGLISH HEART
I M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS .

Cheers !

My favourite singles are :

3) Paris : catchy tune , poignant lyrics. When it came out earlier this year , everybody in the house were either humming its tune or else reclining on an analysts couch :)

2) Irish ... English : The amount of joy and pride this song gave me back in 2004 when it rocketed to number 3 in the UK charts will never be forgotten.

1) Let me kiss you : Simply the most marvelous and riveting tune I heard this decade. Oh , and the lyrics are unique.

Honourable mention : Jesus , first gang & skull....

I chose Jesus, Irish and Killed. Simply because they're the best. ;) Both sides counting.

Were is Mama Lay Softely By The Riverbed? I love that one!!!!

Where did you get that attached photo, Zanoni? Did you take it? :thumb:

I chose Irish, Paris & Skull but really wanted to include You Have Killed Me and All You Need is Me, too.

You Have Killed Me
The Youngest Was The Most Loved
I Have Forgiven Jesus

Where did you get that attached photo, Zanoni? Did you take it? :thumb:

I chose Irish, Paris & Skull but really wanted to include You Have Killed Me and All You Need is Me, too.

Yes, I took the photo this year in Antwerpen (june) in front of the venue and I will never forget that moment!;)

1. You Have Killed Me
2. First of The Gang To Die
3. Irish Blood, English Heart
4.Let Me Kiss You
5. I Have Forgiven Jesus

That was really hard!
Love the picture zanoni,
he has such beautiful skin in it! :o

1)Jesus
2)Skull
3)Irish

songs of the noughties:
1 Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice
2 First of the Gang to Die
3 Dear God Please Help Me
4 Mama Lay Softly
5 Something is Squeezing my Skull
6 You Know I Couldn't Last
7 IBEH
8 My Life is a Succession
9 Good in Your Time
10 All The Lazy Dykes
11 When Last I Spoke To Carole
12 Let Me Kiss You
13 Song From Under the Floorboards
14 Christian Dior
15 You Have Killed Me
16 The Never-Played Symphonies
17 Come Back to Camden
18 It's Hard to Walk Tall When You're Small
19 The Public image
20 It's Not Your Birthday Anymore

Songs of the 90s:
1 The Last of the Famous International Playboys
2 I've Changed my Plea to Guilty
3 Now My Heart is Full
4 Seasick, Yet Still Docked
5 The Operation
6 Interlude
7 Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
8 The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils
9 Spring-Heeled Jim
10 East West
11 November Spawned a Monster
12 Lost
13 Sunny
14 Maladjusted
15 Trouble Loves Me
16 Jack The Ripper
17 Southpaw
18 I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
19 Now I am a Was
20 Mute Witness

.. and the 1980s
1 I Know It's Over
2 Everyday is Like Sunday
3 What She Said
4 Paint a Vulgar Picture
5 Last Night I Dreamt
6 Angel, Down We Go...
7 The Ordinary Boys
8 How Soon Is Now
9 Handsome Devil
10 Reel Around the Fountain
11 This Charming Man
12 Back to the Old House (acoustic)
13 Half a Person
14 Sheila, Take a Bow
15 Late Night, Maudlin Street
16 Hand In Glove
17 Well I wonder
18 That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
19 The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
20 Suedehead

Most over-rated Moz/Smiths songs:
1 The More You Ignore Me
2 The Loop
3 Pregnant for the Last Time
4 Nobody Loves Us
5 Hold Onto Your Friends

Most under-rated songs:
1 Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice
2 What She Said
3 The Operation
4 East West
5 Best Friend on the Payroll

Do singles really matter that much anymore?

The charts are completely pointless (and Americanised), mass-manufactured nonsense, rendering it largely unimportant which songs are chosen for release, as well as increasingly irrelevant. I've always found choice of songs on Morrissey albums and the choice of singles for release to be puzzling. In 2009, we can download, upload to an i-pod, make compilations and buy up every b-side ever released, as well as many never released. Surely, therefore, there's little point in getting over-excited about singles releases these days? Isn't it better to debate which songs were best rather than which singles?

Isn't it a bit of a throwback to a bygone era when the charts were credible, singles mattered and - to some extent - were the making of an artist?

These days, albums and tours matter more. I think I prefer it that way in the present climate, so I have an excuse to leave the radio switched off and don't have to listen to chart music. I'm afraid the romance of the single is lost on me - I'm too young. However, the peerless quality of Moz b-sides does add something extra to singles releases; the trouble is, we're not really debating the b-sides are we?

Last edited:
Do singles really matter that much anymore?

The charts are completely pointless (and Americanised), mass-manufactured nonsense, rendering it largely unimportant which songs are chosen for release, as well as increasingly irrelevant. I've always found choice of songs on Morrissey albums and the choice of singles for release to be puzzling. In 2009, we can download, upload to an i-pod, make compilations and buy up every b-side ever released, as well as many never released. Surely, therefore, there's little point in getting over-excited about singles releases these days? Isn't it better to debate which songs were best rather than which singles?

Isn't it a bit of a throwback to a bygone era when the charts were credible, singles mattered and - to some extent - were the making of an artist?

These days, albums and tours matter more. I think I prefer it that way in the present climate, so I have an excuse to leave the radio switched off and don't have to listen to chart music. I'm afraid the romance of the single is lost on me - I'm too young. However, the peerless quality of Moz b-sides does add something extra to singles releases; the trouble is, we're not really debating the b-sides are we?

Singles remain hugely important, I'm afraid. They are how most of the listening population gets to hear about new music, and determine whether people buy the album.
Moz needs to release brilliant singles to get people to buy his albums. Although we moan that radio stations won't play his songs anyway, this is only partly true. Radio 2 will stick his singles on the A-list if they're any good, and Virgin and Xfm will also play them. He's only had one genuinely great single this decade (First of the Gang) and that was a big airplay success (by his standards), and brought Quarry racing back into the album chart.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the 'theme' of the poll, Johan. The truth is - if you add up the 'YOR' and 'YATQ' singles, both albums' singles are some way ahead of the 'Ringleader' singles.

FOTGTD and IBEH are two of his all-time greatest singles - and among his most successful - so it's no surprise they helpYATQ inch ahead. My personal favourite album is 'Years of Refusal.' Quarry is wonderful and has longevity but 'Refusal' is just perfection. It's angry, odd and melodic. The band sound better - and more coherent -than they've sounded since 'Vauxhall' and there are only two or three weaker songs on the record. I think Jerry Finn was a great producer for Morrissey.

Paris - surprised at this not getting more votes. It seems the perfect single to me

Hector - again, single perfection

Kiss you - wow. just wow

Irish was hard to vote out of the top 3...I guess I'm just a bit sick of it from having listened to it sooooo many times.

Back
Top Bottom