Best songwriter: Morrissey or Bob Dylan

Who is the best songwriter? Morrissey or Bob Dylan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But can’t the same thing be true,
that Morrissey’s voice and vocal melody is not a song until it is put to Marr’s contribution?

Yes, you can label a a cappella piece as a ‘song’, but you can also label an instrumental piece as a song.

no a song needs a voice.

The combination of the voice and the vocal melody isn't a song. It's just the vocal part. Morrissey hasn't even listed on songwriting credit by himself. He can't. Johnny did when he was in the Smiths.
A song is a musical composition intended to be vocally performed by the human voice. Johnny's work only became a song once Morrissey has added the vocal. After the vocal is on then Johnny becomes a song writer. Until that point he is composer.

A song is a musical composition intended to be vocally performed by the human voice. Johnny's work only became a song once Morrissey has added the vocal. After the vocal is on then Johnny becomes a song writer. Until that point he is composer.

But did Morrissey create the melodies? No, he didn't. And that's why he shares songwriting credits. If Morrissey created the melody to accompany his lyrics, then he'd have sole songwriting credit(s).

But did Morrissey create the melodies? No, he didn't. And that's why he shares songwriting credits. If Morrissey created the melody to accompany his lyrics, then he'd have sole songwriting credit(s).
I believe Marr himself had said that Morrissey would go in and come up with all kinds of vocal melodies that he would lay over the foundational backing track that would surprise them

You need to understand that there are guitar chord progressions and guitar melodies and vocal melodies in Smiths tunes. Mozzer wrote the vocal melodies.

Dylan on Sgt Pepper:

p052m1vz.jpg

And if you look at the cover, you'll see that Dylan is the highest.

Gould-Sgt-Pepper.jpg

And if you look at the cover, you'll see that Dylan is the highest.

Gould-Sgt-Pepper.jpg

I heard the story that Dylan introduced the Beatles to weed.
When Dylan heard them sing "I can't hide", in I Want To Hold Your Hand,
he thought they were singin' "I get high".
Then when he meet'em, he chiefed up with'em.
Haha. Somethin' like that.

I heard the story that Dylan introduced the Beatles to weed.
When Dylan heard them sing "I can't hide", in I Want To Hold Your Hand,
he thought they were singin' "I get high".
Then when he meet'em, he chiefed up with'em.
Haha. Somethin' like that.

Yeah. That's true. Ringo confirmed that. Allen Ginsberg was there as well.

BOTT is the best
And Marina is as beautiful as she is talented.

BOTT, H61, Desire and Love & Theft are my favs.

Most definitely! I was disappointed in her most recent album though. Only cared for a handful of songs. I love all of Electra Heart and Froot though.

no a song needs a voice.

A song does not need a voice.

‘An instrumental is a recording without any vocals, although it might include some inarticulate vocals, such as shouted backup vocals in a Big Band setting. Through semantic widening, a broader sense of the word song may refer to instrumentals.’

debate here too ...

Semantics. But, yes, an instrumental song can also be called a song.

Back
Top Bottom